“Loved the place and price. Already made reservations to go again!”
Review of Indian Hills Inn

Indian Hills Inn
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We were so excited to be in Taos, and we just loved Indian Hills Inn. We came to ski at Sipapu, so the price and experience was just what we were looking for. We've traveled to Europe, and had expensive resorts in Mexico. . .we've had the "best of" before, but we knew Indian Hills wasn't going to be "tops". It never bills itself to be.

Indian Hills Inn is a quaint Inn. It's older and has its own personality. The rooms are spacious. The decorations are right for the genre and the area of town. The beds are comfortable and clean. I loved the electric fireplace. The price was excellent.

We did have problems, but nothing that I can blame the Inn for. . Yes. one night we had a very noisy neighbor. We had skied all day the day before, and slept through most of it. We came back the second day and had to move rooms because a water line had broken and leaked through the ceiling on our bed. Guess what! The temperatures were freezing and that kind of thing happens.

The front desk was as friendly as could be! We asked for a hairdryer and we got it right away. We asked for directions to Sipapu. . .no problem. We asked the best places to eat in town. . .we were told several. We asked the best place to rent skies. . .Simply wonderful.

Breakfast was great. Now the hours are 7-10 AM, not long, but the food was not bad: hard boiled eggs, bagels, oatmeal, waffles, toast, juice and coffee. It's a great start to go skiing. We even met some other nice guests and had a chat our last morning.

Sometimes. . .your experience is what you make of it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 17, 2013

You get what you pay for, and unfortunately, I should have spent double and stayed anywhere else in Taos. I was only hoping for a clean bed/bathroom and a good night's rest as I had a 15 hour driving day ahead of me the next morning. We arrived after 5 pm -- during check in, the clerk didn't go out of her way to be friendly or welcoming. Was handed a plastic hole punched key card for the room -- I haven't seen one of these since the mid/late 80s! Due to some questionable people hanging around smoking by the first floor rooms near where I parked while I unloaded (and who were paying a bit too much attention to what we unloaded), I chose to keep my valuables hidden in my car while we grabbed dinner and saw the sun set at the Rio Grande Gorge. We returned just after sunset, brought the rest of our stuff up, and stayed in the room for the rest of the evening. About a half hour after the office closed, whoever was in the room to our right kept trying to open the door that connected the rooms. No one at the office answered, so we did the next best thing -- moved the table and chairs against it for the night. About an hour later, the strong smell of cigarette smoke became extremely noticeable in the door entry/bathroom area because whoever was in the room to the left of us decided to sit outside smoking/socializing with a group of friends --who were loud until well after midnight. We left out at 6 am (after both of us getting little sleep), so we can't attest to the continental breakfast. I had to leave the key into the night window from outside the building. It had a small ledge and nothing beneath it to catch anything. I wrapped a napkin with details of the complaints I couldn't call in about after the lobby closed. If the owners would forward the office phone to their private residence after the lobby closes, it would have been nice, thus the reason I'm giving this place two stars instead of three.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Christina M
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I spent an entire week trying to make reservations and kept getting an employee who told me they were new and it would be better if I called later.............

No microwave, no fridge, no blow drying, no iron.....nothing but a TV. Two dim lamps, one with a burnt out bulb. Called the desk and was told they were busy so I'd have to wait. Finally went to the desk and got a bulb. They ran out of everything for breakfast or just didn't have it and when SEVERAL people went to the desk to ask they got nowhere because that person was on the phone forever! The bathtub/shower had some kind of leak that ran out on the carpet. Pretty sorry place - two queen beds with next to nothing else for $132 a nite????????

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Cheri L
Reviewed November 14, 2012

The hotel was clean but showing a little wear. Could use some updating of the decor and bedding. We did enjoy the grounds as we had dogs and there was plenty of room to walk them. The best thing about the Inn was it's proximity to the main Plaza in Taos. It was a short walk to shops and restaurants.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I found the room comfortable and large enough, too, which is always nice. A nice place to stay...near the plaza, and on the main drag. I found the room clean and I am not sure what these other reviewers found. The parking was easy...a small town with a minimum of space, but easy for the customer.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Kathy H
Reviewed October 13, 2012

One of the most terrible hotels I have ever stayed in.
Noisy, you can hear everything. Bad sound insulation. Dirty. Tub has parts missing. It was dirty, the shower curtain had holes in it and there was a hole in the wall. No hair dryer and the one we borrowed did not work.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Humberto G
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We made a 2 day Autumn trip to Taos with reservations at the Kachina Lodge. Upon arrival and for whatever reason they could not accommodate us and had faxed our reservations to Indian Hills Inn. At least we had a place to stay. However the room was seriously lacking, curtains dangling and would not close for privacy, light bulbs out, coffee pot broken, old furnishings, patches on the wall, pathetic breakfast, etc, etc. Worst part is they charged us the Kachina Lodge rates which was $38 over their on line rate of $71 for our room. The manager was no where to be found or contacted and the desk personnel said they charged what Kachina had faxed them. No satisfaction at all and didn't show that they much cared. I wonder how many other guest from Kachina were unaware of the rip off.

Room Tip: Stay here only if you have no where else to stay.