“Underwhelming” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Taos
Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Underwhelming”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Having stayed across the street at El Pueblo the previous night, the comparison between it and Kachina was like day and night, with El Pueblo just being a far better experience. Our room at the Kachina was clean and functional, but that's about it. It would probably have been better had we not stayed at El Pueblo the previous night. The room at the Kachina was very dated, had an old style TV with a bad picture, and only regular cable, vs the flat screen and satellite TV at El Pueblo. The style of the room, furnishings, bathroom and pretty much everything, down to the soaps provided, were lacking compared with El Pueblo. Our bed at the Kachina had a somewhat old and "dirty" (grungy) looking bedspread, with just a sheet underneath, while our bed at El Pueblo had a very nice, thick duvet that was super comfy (and clean!!!). El Pueblo had a better breakfast with plenty of seating, both inside and also an outdoor patio. The poor ladies at the desk at the Kachina seemed stressed, despite only having us standing there waiting and a phone call to deal with. The Kachina had been fully booked the previous night, so there were not enough clean towels for the rooms the night we stayed, which is unacceptable. The Kachina also cost more than our night at El Pueblo. Overall the room at the Kachina was only satisfactory - about what you'd expect from a budget motel, but it is not priced or advertised as such!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LarryE63

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here because the rooms are clean, the property is located very close to various sights, and it was quiet.

The service staff are friendly, breakfast was good, and we would stay again.

Disadvantages are simply that the facility is older, and the decor is dated. If that is crucial, there are many other places to stay. We don't have so much concern about it.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Lauronious
cheryl w, Director of Sales at Kachina Lodge Resort and Meeting Center, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thanks! for your visit at the Kachina Lodge. Our service staff was encouraged by your nice comments. Yes, we too, see this Hotel has aged which makes it unique and enjoyable.

Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Not a 5-star type experience if that is what you desire. But, if you want something affordable and clean with nice atmosphere this will work for you. An old style hotel with a courtyard for parking I find our room a little older but clean. The pool and hot tub were officially closed but the woman at the front desk let us use the hot tub anyway after I asked (we had had a long day). Good luck getting treated like that at a corporate hotel. I believe it is family owned. The room was a single king and was less than $100. The hotel directly across the street was closer to $160 and I was told I could not use the hot tub. Great location if you are going to Mt. Wheeler or Rogers Millicent. Free breakfast - not fine dining but everything you wanted and included! Nice local art work in the large, rustic dining area. Nice old style. Large patio out back for sitting in the sun or eating. Highly recommend this hotel for any low maintenance travelers.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Dave C
It was nice to read your kind comments about your stay here in Taos at the Kachina Lodge. Yes, we're the Taos hotel style in the Southwest. We've aged, but our service, facilities and amenities are unique.

Your remarks of enjoyment during your visit make us happy. Thanks

Edgewater, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed three nights at the Kachina Lodge. Enjoyed every minute of it!! The front dest people were great, Angel in the kitchen was awesome !!! We have no complaints and will definitely go back!!!!! The only thing negative is we didn't have time to use the pool.....

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank manuelnlorrie
Thank you for your visit and complimentary reports about your three night stay. Our staff was especially excited about your report. We'll continue our excellent service.

Espanola, New Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Maybe at one time this was the place to stay? But, my stay was very disappointing. The room was musky, old, the bed smell like mildew. The floor wall heaters are very outdated. The desk clerk told us that breakfast buffet was part of the deal, and when we arrived for breakfast, the food was cold and there was no more eggs, potatoes, the food person said they were prepping to close when according to my watch the breakfast buffet was still open for another hour. Finally when some food was brought out, (small amount), everybody that was there rush for them and it was gone in 7 people. We finally left and ate further down the road.
Usually, when my wife and I stay at a resort, we like to eat there and then a nightcap in the lounge, but the restaurant and lounge were close until further notice.

Upon my arrival, my door didn't close tight, I had to slam it in order for it to lock, when I was bring my luggage, up the door shut, I figure, "at least I have my key to get back in," when I return to the room I pulled the door and it wasn't lock, it was open. another thing, was my curtain rod was half on and half off the curtains were hanging to the floor, I called front desk, and nothing was done until the next day. Lighting is another problem. I went to get some ice and couldn't fine a detail map of the ice locations, and when I did, I had to walk quite a distance to get ice and the lighting was very bad.

They need to really tear it down, and rebuild it with new buildings and accommodations. update the whole grounds, and making modern with good food, and restaurant/lounge.
On a lighter note, the staff were wonderful upon arrival and departure. But, I figure with jobs so scares, who would want to lose they job especially now with the economy.

So if you are into the old, adobe, romantic Taos, scenario, and don't mind the smell of mildew, and musk, then this is the place for you. If not, I would think twice, Especially for the price that was being offer. I could have pay the same amount at another hotel and not worry about, the place falling apart.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank thinktwice101

Travelers are raving about these Taos hotels

Denver, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Last week I was lucky enough to get to stay at the Kachina Lodge again. When I walked in (without a reservation) the Front Desk clerk Heather looked up and said, "Welcome back Mr. Parker". Given that I can't remember anyone's name it was a pleasant surprise for her to remember my name when I hadn't been there in over two months. Then the manager, Cheryl, came from her office, saw me and said, "Mr. Parker, good to see you again." What a wonderful welcome!

But wait, it gets better. The next morning after strolling through the Kachina art gallery on my way to the Kiva Cafe for my free, menu-ordered breakfast the waitress, Angel, saw me walk in and said, "Good morning Mr. Parker". Again, I had not seen her in over two months. I felt as if I had come home. No that's not right, I don't get treated this well at home.

Reading some of the other Kachina reviews I'm reminded of the story about the Princess and the Pea. They may live in a filthy hovel but as soon as they check into a hotel they become kings, or queens, or... Princesses.

Room Tip: Up stairs rooms may be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Benson P
cheryl w, Director of Sales at Kachina Lodge Resort and Meeting Center, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thanks!! Mr. Parker for your complimentary remarks about out Hotel and the Hotel Staff. You, like many others, enjoy the unique, quaint and real Southwest mixed culture this Kachina Lodge hotel exhibits with a delightful ambiance provided by the pleasing service and cordial hospitality of our Staff.

We look forward to your next visit.

Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

25 or 30 years ago, this was a delightful place to stay, but it has gone totally downhill. Every thing looks old, seedy and dirty. Someone needs to buy it and totally update and clean everything. Some rooms appear to not be available because they haven't been kept up. And there don't seem to be enough employees to really clean the rooms that are occupied. It is still in a great location and is a great space with lots of potential. It's hard to find a place to stay that is this close to old Taos and the plaza. I hope it sees better days in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family