“Great Funky Motel”

Kachina Lodge Resort and Meeting Center
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

I've read reviews of Kachina Lodge Resort where people commented that the motel is in need of an update. It isn't. The classic kind of look is part of the charm. Regardless of age, the place is well kept. It is a large Lodge conveniently located off of one of the main roads through town, less than a mile to the Taos Art Museum and Kit Carson Museum, and a short drive to the historic city center.

They offer a lot for the money. We stayed in a small, but comfortable room with access to complimentary wi-fi. The lodge also has a pool, a restaurant/bar, event space, and a large common area where they host Native American dancers nightly. Guests staying here will probably fall in love with the delicious hot breakfast served in the cafe. We certainly enjoyed our visit here and in Taos overall.

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed July 31, 2012

My stay was great! The rooms were very comfortable and had been updated since the last time I stayed here with better Southwest furniture and new bedding, which was a bonus! I wish the rooms had fridges, but you can ask for one and pay extra, which I wasn't willing to do, since I had a cooler. But, the only problem was one of the ice makers wasn't working next to the room so I had to hike over to fill the ice chest, but oh well. Anyway, they had an outdoor pool which was nice and big and heated and an indoor jacuzzi - a must have with my 4 year old niece. Another wonderful part of staying here is that Native American dancers from the Taos pueblo come to dance each evening. It's a lot of fun to watch, for both kiddos and adults, and at the end, we all danced together. Also, you get a free hot breakfast that you can order off of a menu. And the prices are very reasonable.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I have stayed at the Kachina several times in the last 10 years but don't remember it as this shabby. The Kachina has a certain charm but I was disappointed there was no coffee pot in the room. Although there is coffee to be had in the lobby it is quite a hike from the rooms. The rooms are very quiet and there was a balcony off our second floor room which was nice. The weather was cool and rainy while we were there so I didn't get to go to the pool which I remember as being pleasant.
A big plus is that the Kachina is in walking distance of the Plaza and Bent Street which is important to me when I am in Taos.
I will stay here again but will not have my expectations up.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mjmabqnm
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This hotel is very old but mostly clean. The bathroom - not so clean. There was hair in the tub and the baseboards were grimy. We wanted to eat supper but were told that they closed the restaurant early. We thought this was strange -since it was Saturday evening. The grounds are nice with lots of grass and trees and the outdoor pool was nice. The hot tub was out of order so we could not use it. We drove down the road and found The Guadalajara Grill. It was good authentic Mexican food. Large servings for a great price.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back of the property are quiet and more private.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank goldenbloom
Reviewed July 23, 2012

First of all you have to understand that Taos is a quaint town. There is no glitter and glitz. Restaurants close at 9:00 pm, stores are small artisan shops selling local fare, the sidewalks are cracked, weeds grow in abundance, and the local people are casual, friendly and unpretentious. Given that background, we found the Kachina Lodge to be quite representative of the town. The staff was courteous and helpful, the property is older and built in the traditional southwest style so you know you're in New Mexico not New York. The rooms were clean and well kept even though you tell it was built in an earlier era. The property is in the middle of town, so walking to and from restaurants and shops was easy. There were Indian tribal dances every evening on the property that added local color. If you want to immerse yourself in the Taos style and culture, the Kachina will work very well for you. If not, try one of the chains you can stay in anywhere.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 20, 2012

The office manager was helpful in redoing my reservation. She did more than I expected in helping me stay at the motel. We stayed there about 9 years ago and found this stay just as good.
I am surprised at the negative comments about this hotel. I thought it was a great value. We stayed in a room with a king sized bed and were pleased. We will return.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We Stayed at The Kachina Lodge for 3 Days from July 7th - July10th 2012. It was very Clean and So Quiet Even Though they can accommodate a lot of travelers. Free Full Breakfast and Jenny The Kiva Coffee Manager Made Our Stay So Worth Wild! She is very knowledgable on the Must Sees and Keep Us Fully Entertained. it's a Family Owned Lodge and their Rates are so Reasonable. Also Nightly at 8 pm the Indians Dance in the Round Courtyard..!,,,

So Call and Book Your Room Today ! And Enjoy !!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple