“Just Okay.”

Kachina Lodge Resort and Meeting Center
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Hotel was ok. The location was great. Price good. Initial service, not so hot. However, breakfast server was very good. The breakfast was pretty good. Unimpressed with the room.
It was kind of dingy. Probably, because the hotel is older. A/C was a small unit that didn't work all that great.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank NettinW
Dean K, Guest Relations Manager at Kachina Lodge Resort and Meeting Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your stay with Kachina Lodge.
Please, know that your concerns are being addressed.
We hope you will visit us again to enjoy our improvments.

Reviewed April 17, 2012

In a word, this hotel is awful. No sugar coating it. I am struggling to say anything positive. From the lobby which is tired and poorly staffed to the rooms which are dirty and smell. A family member stayed in this hotel just two years ago while still under the Best Western management and it was absolutely fine. I booked online based on the recommendation I received and then unfortunately read the various Trip Advisor reviews -- many of which are scathing of the hotel. I arrived to the front desk to be told that 80% of the hotel was closed for cleaning so I was relegated to the bank of rooms in the far back of the property. There was mold around the window and in the bathroom. The telephone had literally been ripped off the wall with the wires fully exposed. Needless to say, it had all the hallmarks of a horror film (as noted by a prior guest review). Because I had booked the room online, the front desk person professed not to know how much I had paid for the room and refused to reconsider the rate for the room to give me credit for my AAA membership. That having been said, by the time I drove to the room, assessed the state of it and decided I would not stay at this hotel, the same front desk employee had charged my credit card with the full rate of the room, thereby confirming to me that the hotel staff are as dubious as the hotel itself. I generally keep an open mind when reading online hotel reviews however, in the case of this hotel, the scathing reviews are right on the money.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Janet M

Thank you so very much for your review of your stay at the Kachina Lodge.
Please, know that your issues are being addressed.
We hope you will come visit us again so that you might enjoy the improvements.

Reviewed March 19, 2012

Ok for anyone who liked this place, has maybe wanted to experience a horror flick or is a worker at this Lodge.This place was creepy and dirty. Paper thin walls. One of those places you walk into and you think," what the heck did I get myself into"? We were on the first floor and our bathroom window wouldn't even lock, it was wide open. We put a coat hanger in it for protection. haha. The carpet hasn't been changed since the 1970's and the walls are splashed with color. Horror flick color! Fortuntely we called Expedia and canceled our reservation. Had to pay a percentage but it was worth every penny to not stay there! It wouldn't hurt to ungrade this place management!! Please look elsewhere people!! Stayed at Casa Benavediez once in Taos, why better than this dump.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Love4Food90
Dean K, Front Office Manager at Kachina Lodge Resort and Meeting Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2012

Thank you for that review. When you first entered the room, you had an option to check out. We would of gladly changed your room or checked you out. As for the walls, they are painted not splashed with a Southwest decor. If your window didn't close you could of called for maintenance and it would have been taken care of. Since you were an Expedia customer, there would have been no percentage to pay. I can assure you that Kachina Lodge is safe, quiet and cares about their guests. But I would like to make an offer, you call me, my name is Carolyn; I would appreciate you giving us another chance. I would be happy to hear from you.

Reviewed March 18, 2012

I'm from Los Angeles. That is a place where they are only now realizing the loss of culture, I see it in the sad facebook postings from friends. There were cable cars, Iron gates, decorated lamposts..etc. The little that is left is enshrined for all to see what was. What happens when a large hotel is remodeled is a culturally destructive method of making everything the same. Even though the Kachina Lodge is in Taos, it is from the period that made route 66 period so famous. when the details mattered. So many things from this time period are tiki based, but this is al general western native american themeA full Totem Pole holding up the late 50'3-early sixties cafe...the cast bronze statue in the front hand carved wooden molding all throughout the front buiding.. anther thing is scale.. kitsch level here is a 20! From a time when a motor hotel was BIG. The rooms are fine, the location is amazing.. But you want to stay at the Kachina, because more than any other hotel, you can touch the Taos version of route 66 history!

Room Tip: beds super cozy= make sure to get breakfast if available- ask to check out all the meeting rooms etc...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rob W

Thank you for the your review. We are all happy to hear that we are doing our job.
Once again, we are happy you enjoyed yourself. Thank you again, see you soon.

Reviewed February 22, 2012

Once this was the second best hotel in Taos. Sadly, not any more. Significant deterioration has set in since the loss of the Best Western franchise (BW may have seen the handwriting on the wall). The rooms can be seedy, but worst of all was the day no one showed up to fix breakfast. Since I was on a rather tiring business schedule, this was not what I needed. The management was unrepentant about this problem, and other posts suggest it has happened more than once.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank ptolemy8

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your stay at the Kachina Lodge.
Please know that your issues are being addressed.
We hope that you will visit us again so that you can enjoy our improvements.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

This is the worst motel I have ever stayed in, and an overall horrible experience. We ski and stay in Taos all the time, and it's unfortunate to have this type of experience. The hot tub was cold, the food was old and it was unsanitary. The management made horrible excuses for everything, and never addressed any of our complaints. Completely unprofessional, and I am reporting it to the Better Business Bureau.

Room Tip: Don't stay here please.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Dee V

Thank you for your review. We sincerely apologize for your experience at our Hotel.
I don't think that when you complained you were complaining to a Manager, we never make excuses when guests are not happy. We will always address a complaint of any kind. Our guests comfort and enjoyment are very important to us. If the hot tub was cold, that would have meant that someone pulled the emergency switch, then maintenance would be called to repair it. The food at the Kachina is made fresh everyday, we never reuse food. It is either off the menu or a buffet and everything is made fresh that morning. Our Cook is very sanitary. We would appreciate you giving us another chance, please call Carolyn at the Kachina. Thank you again.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

After reading several less-than-positive reviews here, I was a bit nervous about our upcoming stay at the Kachina Lodge. But, this is where the conference my husband was attending has being held. We were very pleasantly surprised.
I am, first and foremost, concerned with the overall cleanliness of any place we stay and have walked out of numerous places in the past that fell short. I refuse to stay in a questionably clean room and check the beds, under the beds, the bathrooms, the drawers, the safety features (or lack of), etc. thoroughly before unpacking. Our room at the Kachina (#257) was very clean and quite comfortable. This is a large room with a king-size bed, sofa, 2 easy chairs, a table with 2 chairs for working at, an armoire with 3 drawers for clothing below and a large tv with remote above. We like to read in bed and were very happy to see that the bedside tables were good-sized and the lamps on each were great for reading. There are also several more lamps in the room for reading and working as well as overhead lights you can use if you choose on the 2 ceiling fans. The connecting bathroom was quite large with an open closet at one end that also held a small refrigerator. The bathroom counter is quite long with 2 sinks. We'd requested a microwave and the staff had placed it at one end of the counter there. But there was still a huge amount of counter space left for toiletries. A closed toilet and tub-shower was at the far end of the bathroom for privacy. By the way, the toilet and tub-shower were very clean. There was no mold, dirt, dust or bugs anywhere . . . and believe me, I checked! Our room was on the first floor (there is no second floor over this part of the Kachina) and looked out on to a lovely, quiet small park-like area of grass and tall pine trees. There are 2 smallish windows in the bedroom/sitting area..
My only (small) complaint about our room are that the drawers in the bathroom cabinet need to be stabilized so that they open and close better, but they were very clean inside. The large cabinets under the sinks were open to the sub-flooring in the back. We chose not to put anything in them, but they, again, were clean. There are 3 frosted windows in the bathroom area that bring in a lot of natural light, although I have to say that the lighting in there is very adequate as well. I was easily able to connect to the internet from our room wirelessly.
The rest of the facilities in the lodge are very nice and has an Old Taos look and feel to them. The breakfast/ snack shop area is decorated wonderfully! It too has a wonderful Old Taos from the '50s look to it. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Try for a room overlooking the courtyard parklike area. Very pretty!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank LynninNM
Dean K, Guest Relations Manager at Kachina Lodge Resort and Meeting Center, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed review of your stay at the Kachina Lodge.
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We certainly hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again.