“Beautiful common areas and grounds”
Review of Touchstone Inn

Touchstone Inn
Ranked #21 of 23 Taos B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 23, 2011

I had a very nice time staying at the Touchstone Inn in Taos, NM. My suite was nice and comfortable, with a workable fireplace that added a very nice touch. My bed was very comfortable. I loved the common areas, especially the living room which dates back to the early 1800's; it was very nicely furnished & a very comfortable space to just hang out in. There was a fire lit in the fireplace each monrning when I arose & went into the living room--very homey.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 22, 2011

This was my second stay at Touchstone following up what was a transcendent Christmas booking in 2009 with my 89-year old mom.

As I get to understand the rhythm and tempo of Taos, I grow to appreciate even more what an ideal facility this is. First of all the rooms are wonderfully appointed with great spiffs like soaking whirlpool baths and local hand-crafted tile sink and tub areas. The small cluster of buildings are situated on a wonderfully imagined small compound conveniently located just near the center of town, but nearby to great historic sites including the town square, missions, cave dwelling, active pueblos/native territories throughout the area that characterize the most stunning aspects of this part of the country.

I'll add the core value-add of these experiences have been our hosts at Touchstone. Not only are the rooms comfortable (I loved the luxury of my sprawling King bed and wood burning kiva fireplace--which they set up for me nightly). The owner, Bren Price (a renowned visual artist and local cultural activists/beacon/celebrity) and her team (headed up by an amazing guy introduced to us as "Wolf") made mid-winter stays here more than a getaway, but truly memorable events.

Family plans to celebrate my mom's 90th birthday this coming summer at Touchstone are currently underway.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Wolf was a wonderful, welcoming host -- a great source of suggestions for local places to visit and a fantastic cook. However, the first room we were placed in (Lawrence) had a truly decrepit bed that was very uncomfortable. Both the mattress and box spring were old and sagging. When we discussed this with Bryn and Wolf, the box spring was swapped out for another that was even worse. When we called Bryn to discuss this, she told us to call Wolf, who kindly moved us to another room. The bed in this room was not great, but better. Unfortunately, our neighbors smoked in their room and the smoke came through the room divider (their parents, our previous neighbors, had brought a small yapping dog that we could hear in our room). They were also loud until late at night despite our requests for them to be quiet. Then the long heavy curtain rod pulled out of the wall, almost falling on our heads. Carpet was also old and stained, lock on porch door was broken, candles in candle fireplace were melted and stuck to bottom of holders. Our impression is that Wolf is doing the best job he can with no help - he does the cooking, cleaning and manages spa appointments on his own, and is responsible for repairs. He's delightful and was the redeeming feature of our stay, but we would not return due to the uncomfortable bed, general state of disrepair of rooms and the noisy, inconsiderate neighbors.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cornucopia76
worldwatchingwoman, Owner at Touchstone Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2011

I am so sorry that the guests from our Lawrence room were not happy with their stay. After staying a couple of nights, they reported the box spring was broken which we swapped out and did not charge for breakage, which to our knowledge, was not broken before their arrival. The guests then reported that the mattress was sagging with the new box spring. As beds are our business, we provide top of the line in mattresses and test them ourselves. We moved the guests to another room and they did not express any more discomfort to us. If our guests are not happy, then we are not happy and we do want to know when there is a problem so that we can accommodate our guests to our best ability. As to complaints relating to interaction with other guests, I have no knowledge of there being dogs upstairs and no parents of neighbors who smoked. Our inn is non-smoking and we ask guests to be considerate of others. We do our best to provide comfort and ambience to our guests and I am very sorry that we failed in this case. In appreciation of this complaint, all I can do is to offer my apologies and ask for another chance with complimentary room nights. Mr. Wolf is a wonderful innkeeper and he did a great job operating short handed during our busiest season while I was dealing with 2 deaths in my family.

Reviewed January 2, 2011

Thank you for giving us a "Home" during our Christmas Vacation. My family and I stayed 4 nights during the holidays at Touchstone and it was a wonderful experience. The Inn is beautiful and relaxing and our room very clean and comfortable. It was a pleasure getting to know Bren the owner and having the opportunity to visit her private studio. She a great artist and the house is filled with her touch everywhere. Mr. Wolf the innkeeper is also delightful. The Food was great. We'll comeback someday. Jose, Maria Daniel & Diego.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Josemeritus
Reviewed September 22, 2010

Touchstone Inn/Gallery in Taos, New Mexico, was an extraordinary B& B. Located close to galleries, restaurants, and the Plaza, it was still secluded and quiet—offering all the amenities we hoped to find. Our room and the entire inn were full of art and history of the area. The food was perfect (light, healthy, and tasty) and was presented in an atrium-like setting with a view of the grounds and distant mountains. The spa on site was available for a most relaxing massage, and the entire property had a peaceful feeling, which created the impression that we were welcomed by the benevolent spirits of ancient peoples from the adjacent Taos Pueblo. Most of all, we were impressed with the innkeepers: they opened their art studios for tours and offered ideas about day trips and points of interest not available in the standard tourist guidebooks. We strongly recommend this Inn to anyone traveling anywhere close to this beautiful part of New Mexico.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Beautiful and peaceful. The reviewer who said this place captures the soul of the southwest was right on. My wife and I stayed in the Lady Brett suite, a small but comfortable room with a door leading to a patio and a large grassy area. Beyond the back latilla fence is the Taos Pueblo Reservation and a magnificent view of Taos peak. The entire property is surrounded by large and very mature trees. Host Bren and John could not have been more courteous. Both are talented artist and their paintings and pottery grace the entire property.

The room was spotless, beautifully decorated and built with classic New Mexico architecture and craftsmanship. The bed was one of the best I've had traveling, with a hand carved bedframe artfully done.

The gardens were beautiful, and a nice variety of fresh flowers were placed in our room in a gorgeous vase made by John. Breakfast was homemade and made with care.
The breakfast room was spectacular; a former patio incorporated into the main house with tons of New Mexico sunshine, ivy covered post, and lots of original artwork.

It is extremely rare to find this level of caring at any cost.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank paulconti
Reviewed February 12, 2010

Bren and John work hard to give you the best Taos experience. The inn is very beautiful and comfortable. Everywhere you look there is beautiful art and tile work. The beds are comfortable and the Kiva fireplace and jaccuzzi tub makes for a cozy evening. Breakfast was vegetarian and different but good. It was nice to wake to the view of Taos mountain.

The inn was centrally located just north of the plaza and the center of town which was closer to Taos Mountain for skiing.

The only disappointment was that the sauna and out door hot tub were not working.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taos
Quality Inn
El Camino Lodge
#10 of 14 in Taos
1 mi away
Casa Benavides Historic Inn

Been to Touchstone Inn? Share your experiences!