“Loved it”

Ranked #21 of 23 Taos B&B and Inns
San Angelo
“Loved it”
Reviewed November 14, 2008

my stay at touchstone was amazing the veiw was wow
people may say things about it but i go to taos almost 4-5 times a year and stay a touchstone and its been the most wonderful palce to go the rooms are nice and comfortable the food is great and the people who work their are extreamly nice i would say its great for any age ive been going their since i was young and i still like going!

• Liked — the food
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Colorado
Reviewed October 5, 2008

It was a great weekend in Taos highlighted by my stay at The Touchstone Inn. Like all the lodging in town, it is just off the main road, but you'd never know it. It is tucked back and secluded amongst trees and is amazingly quiet and peaceful. The rooms are unique and decorated with all the special touch of the artists who own the place, Bren and John. They are both very accomplished painters and sculptors and their art is displayed throughout the inn. The dining areas are personable, cozy, and look out into the courtyard areas in the back surrounded by trees.
The service and food was exceptional with very friendly staff. I appreciated the casual check in and "come as you go" approach to my stay. Bren and John were very friendly and spent time with all the guests personally. If you are staying in Taos, this is a special place and a must stay. You will not be disappointed.

• Liked — Ambience, quietness, Innkeepers, artwork, casual environment.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed September 2, 2008

After searching the web for hours for an artistic and romantic place that didn't cost an arm and a leg, we finally were given a recommendation by a local minister who has performed ceremonies at numerous romantic B&B's in Taos.

We arrived weary from traveling and looking for a peaceful place for some repose. What we found was even better: a beautiful property set nature that exuded art and healing.

Our stay was only a night as we were passing through and originally did not plan on staying in Taos, but that's all it took for us to feel rejuvenated and healed from our hectic and emotional week on the road.

We were treated with true caring and hospitality, something we don't expect from most inns in a town that sees so many people come and go, especially in the high season.

After all the trips to Taos I have made over the years, I have finally found a place to return to that is neither prohibitively expensive nor devoid of character like the chain hotels.

I was stunned how much Bren and John have put of themselves into creating the atmosphere and the art on the property.

The negative reviews were surprising - I can only hope that anyone reading those reviews will make up their own mind and not cheat themselves out of a lovely and authentic local experience.

Also, don't let the "average" price of $232 scare you away. There are rooms with Queen beds starting at $135, which is what we opted for and found it to be an amazing value, considering this was the price we were quoted at something like the Quality Inn!

I don't think I would stay anywhere else in Taos now that I have found this gem of an inn.

• Liked — The art, atmosphere, architecture and hospitality
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
RickRocks
Reviewed January 30, 2008

It was my third trip to Taos, and my first stay at Touchstone. My experience at Touchstone was Awesome!! My room was very clean and cozy. The staff was very friendly and we really enjoyed the food. We will definitely stay at Touchstone everytime we travel to Taos. RB Louisiana

Stayed January 2008
Maysville, KY
Reviewed July 15, 2007

We chose the Touchstone due to it being run by an artist and we are so glad we did. I was reluctant to go after reading a couple of bad reviews here, but our stay was nothing short of lovely. The very kind and genuine hosts made for a comfy visit. My boyfriend said as we left, "Touchstone was a Touchdown!" Thanks for the wonderful hospitality, Bren.

Lauren Brown

• Liked — The comforts of home and the view.
  • Disliked — not a thing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Somerset, MA
Reviewed June 10, 2007

My husband and I stayed in the Freida Room. The room has not been done over in at least 15 years. Needed new drapes, carpeting and bed linens (pillows too). Glasses in the room were dirty and the bathroom needed to be done over. We spent $220 for a room that should have been $30. The 19 " TV in the room was at least 15-20 years old with a VCR and an old boombox on top for music. The grounds were unkept and gardens were in need of weeding and mulching. We could not even see the labrinth to walk. In the AM the kitchen person was outside our window talking on a cell phone as loud as possible. We went for breakfast at 8:30, the time we were told it was served and sat there for one half hour to be served. Acouple that came in 20 minutes after us was served before us. The food was the worst I have ever had, half a banana, an egg done like a small omlette with fried onion and half a mushroom, a piece of toast with a slab of butter. It was awful! No cereal, yogurt etc.
Our intentions were to use the spa. Not after what we saw! The owner's husband was very cordial to us. The place needs a massive overhaul. What a disappointing anniversary for us.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Totally outdated..no updating for at least 15 years.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RHDH
WorldWatch, Owner at Touchstone Inn, responded to this review, July 13, 2007
We are sorry this person had a bad experience for the one night they stayed here. This year in Taos, our spring-summer happened over night - one week it was snowing and the next was our hottest week, so it took us some time to get grounds in order. I have looked at this room and curtains and carpet could use some attention. That the views beyond these curtains are the most spectacular from any room in Taos cannot be denied, but no mention is made of this. We have a new cook and hope this guest will give us another chance.
OC, CA
Reviewed July 22, 2006

We stayed there for a week, and I wish I could stay longer as the combination of location, settings, hospitality, food, and art were
simply magical. The owners add a lot of character to this bed and breakfast if you have the time to meet them. They can also recommend lots of truly unique and worthy places to visit in the vicinity. I am planning on going there again and again now that I know it is there.

Regards,