“40th Birthday - Girlfriends Trip”
Review of Hacienda del Sol

Hacienda del Sol
Ranked #4 of 23 Taos B&B and Inns
Fort Collins, CO
“40th Birthday - Girlfriends Trip”
Reviewed October 9, 2009

Hacienda Del Sol was exactly what we were looking for in a place to unwind and relax. Reg and Dale made us feel like family from the minute we checked in. We were DROOLING over their homemade breakfasts each morning. The flagstone patio and spacious lawn/garden surrounded by trees outside our room with views of the mountains was an oasis. Perfect for kicking back with a glass of wine and a book. Close to downtown Taos, but just far enough away to be out of the traffic of town (about a 1 mile walk on mostly sidewalks) Our room (The Rio Grande) was a corner unit and didn't have the street noise some others did. We had to switch to the El Pueblo on our last night due to another party already booked and could hear some of the traffic that we didn't hear at all in The Rio Grande. But it was still GREAT!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Nevada
Reviewed September 17, 2009

My wife and I stayed 5 days for our anniversary and birthday celebration, our first afternoon we were greeted by Reg and Dale with chocolate covered strawberries, and a wonderful bottle of champagne. Our room was exactly what the photo's described, beautiful and the hot tub was really a nice addition to the room too. The area is away from the street traffic, and the grounds are kept very neat and clean. Reg and Dale were very helpful when it came to knowing the area for food and adventure. Their breakfasts and coffee were fantastic, they made everyone feel as if they were at home. The scenery from our window or grounds was just beautiful. We hated to leave for home after 5 wonderful days in Taos and the Hacienda, however, we made a promise we will be back soon, there isn't another place we would rather stay than the Hacienda del Sol!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Almost every review of Taos' Hacienda del Sol that I read ahead of time was stellar, but that was not my experience when I stayed there. When I called to book a room for my 60th birthday in September, I was told there were just two rooms available for the days I wanted. One of those rooms, Adobe, was advertised as having "a fabulous, wood burning fireplace". The forecast was for cool and rainy weather (in the low 50's at night), so I decided to splurge and spend an extra $45 a night for the room with the fireplace, thinking how cozy it would be to return to that room after a day of trekking around Taos. When I arrived, though, the first thing I was told was that I couldn't use the fireplace, "because we're not doing fires yet".

The view of the mountain from the yard out back is beautiful, and the room did have a steam shower, which I enjoyed, but everything else was downhill from there. This B&B has seen better days; in 2009, it was downright shabby, and didn't begin to be worth the $180 per night that I paid for the room. The king sized bed had a lumpy, uncomfortable mattress. The sheets and pillows were cheap and awful; the wash cloths and towels would have benefited from a long soak in some Borax, because they smelled bad as soon as they got wet. Breakfast started with fresh, cut up fruit, which was lovely, but anything that had to actually be cooked was mediocre at best. For example, toast, to the "world class" chef , was white Wonder Bread, toasted on one side only (was the toaster broken? it came like that every morning I was there), buttered (I'm not sure it was butter) and sprinkled with flavorless dried herbs. Orange juice tasted frozen to me, and don't even start with the coffee...

I've stayed at some terrific B&B's, and I've had delicious breakfasts at some of those places. Sadly, this was not one of them.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Judith H
luellenh, Owner at Hacienda del Sol, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Unfortunately, a few ants were coming in through a hole early Spring and I don't blame the guests at all for this review. I immediately offered to move them to an upgraded room while I take care of the problem but they did not wish to move. It took a few minutes to spray and take care of the problem and I was certainly most apologetic and tried to explain that the mountain area does incur a few outbreaks of these ants in August but usually outside in the grass. I guess All our mattresses have been replaced in 2012 and we certainly do our utmost to ensure a quality stay for our guests. Our fixtures are new and we have introduced Comphy sheets in all the rooms that our guests rave about and can also purchase on our website. I don't know what "phoning it in" means but we all do our best to ensure a quality visit here and continue to upgrade and improve all aspects of the guest experience.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 10, 2009

We spent two nights at this charming place last week. Our host, Reg, was extremely pleasant...he cooked us a great breakfast both mornings. I especially loved his french toast. He was also quite knowledgable about the surrounding area. The whole property was very nicely decorated and cozy feeling. Our room was very nice with fireplace and a patio looking out towards Taos Mountain...very relaxing. There is also a hot tub looking out towards the mountain, though we didn't use it. We would highly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
new jersey
Reviewed July 26, 2009

A simply superb experience! This B&B has everything: clean and elegant accomodations, delicious food, gracious hosts (Luellen and Gerd) and managers (Reg and Dale) who are friendly, professional and committed to your having an excellent visit, and an absolutely brilliant view of the mountains and the natural beauty that is Taos. We will definitely be staying at the Hacienda del Sol on our next visit to Taos, and highly recommend it to all of our friends and family...and you!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Forida
Reviewed July 20, 2009

My stay was so delightful, the Inn is very romantic, the grounds are kept very clean.The managers Reg and Dale welcome you with a hearthy breakfast and the owners Luellen and Gerd go above and beyond to make you feel at home. Taos has lots of things to offer, so glad I stayed at the Hacienda del Sol! Thank you all for your warm hospitality! AZ

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Minneapolis
Reviewed July 12, 2009

We just spent 10 days in magical Northern Mexico and by far the Hachienda del Sol was the best of the properties we stayed at. Perfectly located within minutes of downtown Taos and the mystical Taos Pueblo. The Hachienda's owner, Lu, and the charming and experienced hosts, Reg and Dale, (who make outstanding breakfasts) were so knowledgeable and kind. Outstanding restaurants next door and across the street. We're looking forward to going back soon. You won't be disappointed. Jane and Walter

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple