“Loved our room”

Casa Benavides Historic Inn
Ranked #8 of 23 Taos B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 2, 2012

On October 14, 2012 my husband and I stayed in the "Cowboy Room" for one night. Nicely decorated and located in an old house just across the road from the Inn. The old house consists of individual theme rooms. This is just one of the properties that makes up the Inn. What I liked about our room is that we had a real wood burning adobe fireplace complete with wood provided by management. The accomodations were clean, quiet, and the bed was very comfortable. I loved looking up at the stars through the skylight located over our bed. In fact, even the bathroom had a skylight. Very energy efficient. The main Inn provided refreshments in the afternoon (an afternoon tea) and a wonderful cooked breakfast in the morning. There is no way you are going to go away hungry. Plus, the staff is really friendly and fun to converse with. My husband and I were really pleased with our stay. I highly recommend staying here. Total cost with taxes= $186.76

Casa Benavides Inn is located just down the block from the historic Kit Carson Home & Museum and a very easy walking distance to and from the plaza. You are also very close to the Taos Inn and Doc Martin's Restaurant. You know what they say, location, location, location.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 22, 2012

B&B is a 2 min walk to Taos downtown-square filled with shops, restaurants, and other goodies. Breakfast is gourmet, healthy, and delish!! Innkeepers/owners/staff are all friendly and helpful. Would definitely return in the future.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2012

the good: The employees were really nice and breakfast was great. The room was large. Close to town square and restaurants. The bad: rundown furnishings and dirty, dirty bathroom. Yech, wanted to shower again after showering. Plenty of someone else's hair in the tub and lots of mold/mildew. A hair on the hand towel as well. Had to stand on the bed to turn on the ceiling fan. Only one window would open and the "ac" unit was a portable one like grandma had in the 60's. I didn't research this one but I have to believe if I came back to Taos there would be better options.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank dlpcyles
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Location is one block from the town square. Rooms are nice. Owners and staff could not be more helpful. Breakfast and their afternoon "tea" with deserts were "out of this world." My wife and I bicycled the Enchanted Circle. The breakfast was spectacular, healthy and great energy for the trip. Stayed there another night when we finished.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2012

This B&B (maybe a dozen rooms?) is the closest to the center of town -- 1000 feet, max (and the walk takes you directly past the Kit Carson home and museum). The rooms are spacious enough, but a bit rickety -- the a/c fan (on high) reminds me of a 747, and the doors/locks are flimsy.

The afternoon tea = tons of various cookies, and ice-tea/lemonade. The breakfast was very nice indeed -- the mexican quiche was a marvel (but bring your own chili sauces -- their's was for gringos from Boston).

Biggest no-no: a tiny roach killed on the bed in the evening (where were its relatives I wonder), and a stash of irish "breakfast tea" bags that looked like they'd been visited by other insect relatives. No coffee in sight in the room, and I wasn't going to touch the tea.

Slept well that night (was pooped, and not too squeamish about the small roach), but wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Away from the road
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Vince P
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Location is fantastic. The staff is wonderful. The main building is beautiful. Overall, the facility is a bit rundown and could use a facelift. It appears a lot of Taos could use a facelift. We did enjoy the laidback atmosphere of Taos.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2012

First all of the GOOD THINGS!!, and there were many. We had a very large room The Blue Lady.The place is very well set up and I doubt you ever feel like you are on top of someone else. There is free off street parking and an easy two block walk to the Plaza which is a big plus. The afternoon goodies had lots of variety and were great. The staff, all of them, were cheerful and very helpful, but I fear are really overworked since it always seemed that the poor person at the front desk was always running back and forth to the kitchen to help with the cooking and serving. Breakfast was served in a beautiful large room overlooking the patio area. The granola and peaches and yogurt were great!
Now let me prefess this part to let you know we are seasoned travelers. We are Diamond Members of Hilton and when we are out for more than a week we stay at B&B's to break up the travel. This Inn also calls itself a bed and breakfast. Over the years with all of our experience with a B&B we have always met the owners, or someone who identified themself as filling in for the owners if they wee away, either at check in, at breakfast or afternoon or evening get togethers. We were there over the week-end and the only time we saw the lady that is the owner was when she was talking to some other guest on the porch outside of our room. When she had finished talking to them she looked at us (I had waited outside the room to talk to her) and walked on. I even made it a point to ask if they were out of town and the young lady at the desk said "NO they are resting". Interaction with the owners is always a high point. The other negative. We were there for three mornings the menu never changed. The first morning we ordered French Toast and received two pieces of toast dipped in batter and fried, on a small saucer no powdered sugar no garnish just two pieces of toast. There were also waffles and an egg dish (that neither one of the girls could explain) both said it was kind of like a scrambled egg or quiche. Well there is a difference so we did not order them.
If you look at all my reviews you will find I am generally upbeat and have good things to say and I did start out with positives on this review, but I do think the owners should give some thought to both of my suggestions.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple