“Dirty, dusty, disappointing”

American Artists Gallery B&B
Ranked #14 of 23 Taos B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I wish I felt the same enthusiasm for this inn as many of the others who have commented on this site. Breakfasts were well presented and tasty, but I was cautious as cats were free to roam the kitchen while food was being prepared. I enjoyed meeting and talking with fellow travelers over breakfast, however, LeAn has such a loud conversational voice I had to struggle to hear the person across the table from me....and LeAn was in the next room! My room was cozy and in dire need of a thorough cleaning if not a complete update. Were I to return to Taos I believe I would seek different accommodations.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Traveler2Q

Reviewed September 23, 2012

We were looking for a lower priced B&B and stumbled upon this one. We had been traveling about 20 days or so, so high priced hotel stays were out of the question except for a few splurges here and there. Everything in Taos is old or looks old. We stayed in the room called "Rose", which was the suite, had a King bed, a separate sitting area and a very small bathroom. The decor was okay - it was actually a small cottage type place. They have other rooms in the main building as well. The water in the bathroom SUPER HOT...be careful. they have a pet peacock named Pete and he's blind. If you call his name, he actually looks at you and seems to know his name. Cute thing that will follow you around. They have a hot tub but the jets don't really work very well. They have internet access as well as wi-fi. The owner was quite a character and turned out to be a very nice person that went out of his way when I lost my IPad. He offered to take me back to the restaurant. He came around later to see if I found it...The best thing about this place was the breakfast. We have been traveling for a while and this was the BEST braekfast that we had. He served us wonderful assorted fresh fruit topped with a yogurt dressing, Scrambled eggs with jalapeno peppers, blue corn blueberry pancakes and bacon, toast...and the other usual fixings. There is a refrigerator on the premises that stores some of the best oatmeal, chocolate chip cooks you'll ever have. It was an interesting and fun place to stay.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2012

What a charming place this is. I always check reviews on tripadvisor before booking anywhere. All the 5 star remarks about American Artists Gallery B&B are so true. But the Bird made our stay even more remarkable and George the Peacock entertained every day. The food... now I know why there were so many kudo's about the breakfasts. Staying there with my husband was like being on another honeymoon with Charles and LeAn catering to our every need and providing guidance to restaurants, sights and entertainment. We too have stayed at many B&B's around the world and this one, so clean, so comfy, so secluded and away from the maddening crowd but close to everything... is very special. Go out of your way and get in here!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carol W
Reviewed June 6, 2012

My husband and I celebrated our 25th anniversary in Taos with a hot air balloon ride and a stay at American Artists Galley B&B last month. Charles and LeAn were the perfect hosts! Their excellent service, expert guides, delicious breakfasts, and friendly smiles helped make our trip comfortable and memorable. And don't forget the personal touches - LeAn reserved a quiet, romantic table for our anniversary dinner at Lamberts (which was excellent by the way), and Charles served as photographer, taking pictures of us right before our special evening out. They definitely have great customer service and accommodations.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Hosts Charles and LeAn have this inn-keeping thing down cold, from high quality chocolates to welcome us when we arrived in our guest room, to menus (and candid opinions and recommendations) for many Taos restraurants, to helpful but completely unintrusive guidance on how to navigate room keys and heating and cooling units, to fabulous home made cookies in the refrigerator, to an unbelievable home cooked breakfast with blue corn pancakes, a cranberry banana smoothie and lots of other good stuff. We stayed one night in the smallest of their units, the Garden Gallery, which was adorable and architecturally gorgeous and plenty big for 2 people. My personal acid test for any lodging is the quality of the towels, and their's were in the TOP .00001 percent for thickness and softness. Nice! On top of it all, we were greeted upon arrival by the long-term resident peacock, George, who is a showoff and provided plenty of photo ops while in full display. Lots of other birds frequent the back yard at various times of year, and Charles is happy to educate anyone who displays an interest. AND it is a couple of minutes drive to the Plaza at most. The location is private and quiet and couldn't have suited us better.

Room Tip: If you're unsure based upon what you see online, talk to Charles or LeAn on the phone. They wil...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2012

My husband and I and our children stayed at this B&B and really had a wonderful experience. LeAn and Charles really are sweet, thoughtful people and went out of their way to make our stay great. And the breakfasts... wow! We have stayed in many B&Bs around the world, and this was definitely at the top! Also, the mattresses were very comfortable. When we come back to Taos for skiing, we know exactly where we'll stay!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2012

I have nothing but magnificent things to say about our experience at the American Artists Gallery B & B. My husband and I decided to take a weekend trip away for our 9th wedding anniversary. Our weekend began with some minor car trouble. From the beginning, the hosts and owners, Charles and LeAn were nothing but superbly helpful. The first night, they guided us on where to have a great meal within walking distance of the B & B (due to the car trouble) and Charles even offered to help us figure out what was going on with the car the next morning. The next morning during breakfast (which by the way is amazing!) Charles was kind enough to refer us to a local mechanic which had our car fixed up and ready to go within no time! On the same note, that evening, my husband and I were set up for a most romantic dinner at Lambert's; Charles had gone ahead and reserved a quiet, romantic spot for us in honor of our anniversary.

My husband and I have been to a couple of Bed and Breakfast's and I can wholeheartedly say that this experience has been the best we have had. The innkeepers are amazing, friendly, warm-hearted people who genuinely love what they do and it is evident. If ever in the Taos, area, definately consider spending a few nights with Charles and LeAn; You will not regret it!

Room Tip: The Jacuzzi rooms are quite amazing and very reasonably priced.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple