“Backroading it in Taos”

Wild Earth Llama Adventures
Ranked #1 of 18 Outdoor Activities in Taos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Llama Trekking Adventures in New Mexico's Pristine Wilderness! "Take a Llama to Lunch!" Wilderness Day Hikes Multi-Day Wilderness Adventures Custom Wilderness Events What's Llama Trekking? Llama Trekking is Hiking and Camping with our team of eco-friendly trail llamas, in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains and Rio Grande Gorege, near Taos and Santa Fe, New Mexico. On the trail, our gentle surefooted llamas carry the gear, leaving you unburdened to experience the natural beauty and inspiring solitude of the New Mexico wilderness. Experienced Naturalist Guides share information about local ecology, natural history, regional folklore, and wilderness skills. Backcountry Gourmet Meals are served on all of our New Mexico wilderness trips. All ages and fitness levels are welcome! Call us to answer any questions of to make reservations!
Yuma, Arizona
“Backroading it in Taos”
Reviewed March 21, 2009

My husband and I spent a splendid day hiking with the llamas! I am not much of a backpacker and it was so great having a llama carry everything I needed including my water bottle. It was hands -free except for the lead rope. They hummed and sang to us, stopped when we stopped, hung out nearby while we ate a gourmet lunch, and we didn't even have to clean up or tend the animals when we got back to the parking area.
This was a great alternative to just shopping and hanging out in Taos. We met Stuart and the llamas early in the morning out at a trailhead and hiked through some incredibly beautiful forest. We enjoyed Stuart's knowledge of the plant life too. He was fun to hike with. As a non-hiker, this was a really fun day.

1 Thank KBNHO

NJ
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“A+ for customer service”
Reviewed March 21, 2009

Stuart and Leah were very helpful in setting up our reservation and provided tips about Taos, etc. Unfortunately, the day we planned to take our trek, it was cold and rainy. We were not able to re-schedule to the next day because the forecast was still gloomy and after that we were heading back to the airport. Our deposit was returned 100%, hassle-free. I thought that was great customer service.

The Agarwals from New Jersey

4 Thank VsaVsa
fort lauderdale
“A Must Have Experience”
Reviewed March 21, 2009

This was one of the most exciting experiences I had while visiting Taos last year! I highly recommend it to any adventure seeker and will look forward to doing this again!

Stone Siegel
Stone Magazine

1 Thank stonemag
Lutherville, MD
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome Day Trip, Awesome Guide, Loved the Llamas!”
Reviewed March 21, 2009

My husband and I went on a "Take a Llama to Lunch" day hike in late October of 2008. We went down into the Rio Grande gorge that day, along with Stuart - our guide, one other couple, and four beautiful and sweet Llamas. Stuart was very knowledgeable about the terrain, the weather, and of course, the llamas! The views were great, and the day hike was just enough for my ability. We learned about native plants and wildlife along the way. Stuart also brought along a nice little gourmet lunch for us. I would love to do it again, should I ever be fortunate enough to revisit the Taos area. It was the hightlight of our trip!
S. Hafner

Pasadena, CA
“Great Honeymoon Activitiy!”
Reviewed March 21, 2009

We contacted Wild Earth Adventures to take us - two East Coast hikers - into the wilderness north of Taos. They exceeded our expectations!

Stuart was a great guide, friendly and knowledgeable. He pointed out many interesting plants and animals along the trail, and gave us a great intro to the region's ecology. He was also very good at making us comfortable with our Llamas - especially important for us as we'd never been around them before. They were all extremely docile!

Our lunch was in an idyllic meadow, dotted with flowers and next to a mountain stream. We lolled around on the grass, enjoying our gourmet sandwiches, cookies, and drinks. It was a great memory.

All in all a wonderful time, and highly recommended!

1 Thank riverwalker77