“Lunch with Llamas and the grandkids”

Wild Earth Llama Adventures
Ranked #1 of 18 Outdoor Activities in Taos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Llama Trekking Adventures in New Mexico's Pristine Wilderness! "Take a Llama to Lunch!" Wilderness Day Hikes Multi-Day Wilderness Adventures Custom Wilderness Events What's Llama Trekking? Llama Trekking is Hiking and Camping with our team of eco-friendly trail llamas, in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains and Rio Grande Gorege, near Taos and Santa Fe, New Mexico. On the trail, our gentle surefooted llamas carry the gear, leaving you unburdened to experience the natural beauty and inspiring solitude of the New Mexico wilderness. Experienced Naturalist Guides share information about local ecology, natural history, regional folklore, and wilderness skills. Backcountry Gourmet Meals are served on all of our New Mexico wilderness trips. All ages and fitness levels are welcome! Call us to answer any questions of to make reservations!
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We took our 5 grandkids ranging from 5 -12 years old. We all had a blast. Stuart was great with the kids. We have got to know Stuart from camping in Columbine National Camp ground and seeing him lead the Llama hikes. The kids were able to lead, feed and help unload and load the Llamas. Stuart is very organized, informative and personalble. It was a great hike and we were glad the Llamas carried all the provisions. We would recommend this trip. Great job Stuart! See you next year.

Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

My only regret is that we didn't have a longer trip. Stuart was great from his knowledge to his cooking. The trip would not have been the same if he wasn't there. K2 was a hard head, and he kept me entertained the whole trip. Best llama out there!

Reviewed July 12, 2013

This is a once-in-a-lifetime, not-to-be-missed adventure. Our family of four has done a bit of traveling and we all unanimously agreed that not only was our Llunch with a Llama excursion our favorite memory from our 2-week New Mexico road trip, but one of our favorite activities of all time.

The llamas were....unexpected. We love all animals, but were expecting livestock, not these regal creatures that the llamas revealed themselves to be. They are delicate and sensitive, and, as guide Stuart suggested, more feline than anything else. I know this sounds ridiculous, but after a few hours it's all too easy to become overly attached to the one at the end of your lead.

Stuart is an ideal guide. He's knowledgeable about a variety of subjects, but most importantly the environment and conservation (not to mention llamas!) and he shares insight on these topics, as well as his own personal story. He is careful to walk up and down the line of hikers to make sure that all of his guests are safe, comfortable, and enjoying equal access to him.

The lunch was so much better than I could have hoped for, too! It was a delicious picnic spread, in spite of my food allergies and my daughter's vegetarianism which can sometimes be limiting. All in all, it was a perfect day and one our family will never forget. Thank you Wild Earth Llama!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

What can I say? It was wonderful! We found out about the Llunch with a Llama last year on our trip to Taos but didn't have time. When we returned last week, I knew it was the one thing I didn't want to miss.
What a great day! Stuart was great. Like all the other reviewers have written. Very personable, great with adults,kids, etc and knows so much about the outdoors, history, geology and topography of the region. I found out how the Rio Grande gorge was formed!

My boyfriend and I were given the pleasure of leading Diego and Picchu. What cool cats they are. And what is great is the Stuart gives you responsibility for your llama to some extent. He directs you where to tie them and how to interact with them but then you just head on up the trail with your llama. Seriously?

Great great adventure for young and old. Fantastic lunch and priced reasonably. We highly recommend it.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

This was the most anticipated event of our family vacation to New Mexico and it was incredible. Just a short drive - approximately 30 minutes - from Taos (where we were staying), Questa is a lovely area with a beautiful national park. This is where we all met up with Stuart (at 10:30am) and his wonderful llamas (per Stuart, correct pronunciation is actually "yamas" given their origin). We were the first to arrive and were eager to help so Stuart allowed us to help prepare and groom the llamas - 8 in total - for the day's group. We loved that opportunity but by no means was it expected that we would have a hand in the grooming process.
Once everyone arrived, Stuart matched us up with a llama who would remain our companion for our Lunch with the Llamas day. I understand that one could go on a shorter hike or up to 10 miles; I believe we did about 5 miles roundtrip. For reference, we had a good mix of young children (the youngest child - about 4 - travelled on her dad's back in a carrier), teens and able-bodied adults. To be clear, one does not ride the llamas but walk alongside them. The llamas do, however, carry the food and water for the day.
Throughout this most pleasant journey, Stuart was patient, kind, extremely knowledgable and exceptionally attentive to all. What a wonderful guy. Additionally, the lessons learned along the way (respect for nature and taking care of our environment; a bit of history on llamas; interesting edibles found in the forest, etc.) presented fantastic visual and tactile learning.
We had lunch in the forest in a beautiful setting w/ a babbling brook nearby where Stuart prepared a very healthy and ample meal of sandwiches and salads w/ beverages. Perfect, really.
My husband, son and I will never forget this adventure as it was indeed that...and among one of the most unique experiences of our lives (and we enjoy a good amount of travel).
Don't even think about it...just do it!

1  Thank TriciaVis