“Llama Trekking - take a llama to lunch!”

Wild Earth Llama Adventures
Ranked #1 of 19 Outdoor Activities in Taos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Llama Trekking Adventures in New Mexico's Pristine Wilderness! "Take a Llama to Lunch!" Wilderness Day Hikes Multi-Day Wilderness Adventures Custom Wilderness Events What's Llama Trekking? Llama Trekking is Hiking and Camping with our team of eco-friendly trail llamas, in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains and Rio Grande Gorege, near Taos and Santa Fe, New Mexico. On the trail, our gentle surefooted llamas carry the gear, leaving you unburdened to experience the natural beauty and inspiring solitude of the New Mexico wilderness. Experienced Naturalist Guides share information about local ecology, natural history, regional folklore, and wilderness skills. Backcountry Gourmet Meals are served on all of our New Mexico wilderness trips. All ages and fitness levels are welcome! Call us to answer any questions of to make reservations!
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Excellent day trip! We went on 10-9-12 while the Aspen's were beautiful! Turned out it was just the two of us plus our guide Stuart! Stuart is an OUTSTANDING guide, his love of this wilderness area and the llamas is obvious. He is very informative and educational in a fun way! His love and dedication to the llamas he's recued is to be admired. The lunch he provide exceeded our expectations by a long shot! It was a gourmet salad and turkey sandwiches which you were allowed to custom design yourself. We enjoyed Stuart's knowledge and company on the trek and would highly recomend this adventure! I wish we'd had our entire family with us!!!

2  Thank Pam W

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our trek with the llamas and our guide Stuart. The hike was so beautiful, lunch was awesome and Stuart knew a lot about the area. Next time we want to do an overnight hike.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

One of the items on my bucket list was to go hiking with Llamas, so I signed up my hubby & I on our recent trip to New Mexico. My hubby was reluctant to go, but in the end, he even admitted he had a wonderful time.

We had only a group of 4 of us, plus Stuart the guide and chief- llama trekker. Everyone had their own llama, since we were a small group of adults.

After a instructional talk about llamas, and the hike, Stuart had us each give all the llamas a treat out of our hands to get acquainted. Most of the llamas had been rescued by Stuart, and were adolescents.The llamas were a little bit stand-offish at first.

We got to choose the llama we wanted to hike with. The llamas were all docile and not mean at all! (but they did like to stop and eat along the way.... it was funny!) I really bonded with mine, he was nuzzling my neck and a real sweetie!

As we hiked, Stuart would point out interesting tips about the trees and flora that we passed. We learned quite a bit about how to tell the differences between fir and spruce trees, about the ponderosa pines, the various plants that were growing...etc.

We stopped and had a very nice lunch in a meadow where the llamas could rest and graze.

The time went by too quickly.... I would like to go back and go on an overnight hike next time.

1  Thank tuckercal34
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Well, our group had a beautiful trek and I can't say it better than all these other great reviews, except that, in addition to being a wonderful experience, Stuart's Wild Earth takes in neglected, unwanted llamas that people bought when it was a "fad" and later lost interest in, and brings them back to health, trains, loves and cares for them, which I'm sure is not inexpensive. So...you can have a ball and, at the same time, feel good that you're helping the llamas do what they are meant to do. Don't miss it!

Reviewed September 6, 2012

We have been on several trips with Wild Earth Llama, beginning about 6 years ago. Stuart and his llama team have been simply fabulous on every trip. A few of the trips included my son when he was as young as 1 1/2 years old, and every trip has included kids and some adults who aren't big campers. The llamas steal the show. The kids get to lead them if they want to (everyone does!). Even my 1 1/2 year old was able to lead a llama for several hundred yards. They help stake them for bedding down, groom them, etc, which provides a great focus and charm to occupy their attention during the trip. Each llama has personality so they really do add a lot of content.
Stuart is amazing, wonderful attitude and great manner with the kids. He makes everything fun and easy, knows when to help and knows how to give kids a sense of responsibility and success during the trip. The locales are amazing, and Stuart has so many options depending on group character and season. I couldn't recommend it more highly for any kind of group.

Note: Our visit was a couple of years ago but I am just getting around to this now. We have spent time with Stuart every month from May to September . . .