TripAdvisor
Taos
Post
Inbox
Search

“Close to Pueblos and easy”

Tiwa Kitchen Restaurant
Ranked #60 of 138 Restaurants in Taos
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We had a nice meal there it was good quality basic food. The place reminds me of a 50's restaurant that hasn't caught up with the times. Clean and nice food was good

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (22)

Reviewed August 22, 2019 via mobile

I stopped for lunch after exploring Taos Pueblo for a couple of hours. I tried the blue corn taco, which comprised blue corn frybread topped with buffalo raised in the field behind the restaurant and "Christmas" chiles (red on one side of the taco and green on the other) and other traditional fixings. I've eaten a lot of Indian tacos in Canada and the US, and this was the best by far. I also tried the tart/sweet chokecherry iced tea. I was the only customer there for at least half an hour, which meant I could enjoy a delightful conversation with Danson, my server, and Mark, the chef. Such warm, friendly and knowledgeable young men -- great ambassadors for their community!

Date of visit: August 2019
Reviewed August 8, 2019

Tiwa Kitchen Restaurant is terrific. I have only had fresher trout when I caught it myself and cooked it immediately. The chef served it plain, stuffed with mint, coated in blue cornmeal, and pan-fried. The vegetables that came with it were local, as well, and quite tasty all on their own. The trout was one of only two gluten-free options (the other blue corn tortilla) but still I wish I had the opportunity to go again and again (one of those discoveries too late during travel). Service was terrific, the waiter knowledgeable not only about gluten free options but also about what we should do on our visit to the nearby Taos Pueblo. This is on pueblo land, the fish from their waters, most of the vegetables from their gardens, and the menu from an evolving cuisine. Don't miss this when you're in Taos--even though it is only open for lunch.

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank katiesmomsarah
Reviewed July 5, 2019

Everything about our lunch was perfect! The atmosphere of the restaurant, the Native waiter, our entrees and dessert! I had the Blue Corn Taco. My husband had the Twah Chull. Both dishes were recommended by our waiter. Both had buffalo meat and were absolutely delicious! The waiter told us they raise their own buffalo on the Pueblo. The blue corn fry bread is like no other fry bread we have had! We chose the pinion prune apple pie for dessert. Baked in their outdoor oven. So good! As we were leaving, a plate of the mountain trout was being served. The waiter told us they catch the trout themselves.

This restaurant is not to be missed if you like fresh, flavorful food at a very good price in a quaint Native American setting! Note: As of this review, their hours are 11:00 am - 4:00 pm closed on Tuesdays.

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed May 24, 2019

Tiwa Kitchen serves hand made Pueblo Indian fare in a fairly plain, almost rustic, but sturdy little building, and the food is wonderful. The owner and his friends built the building from hand made adobe bricks, plastered and painted it with hand made paint and decorated it in Pueblo motif. It is safe to say that it is not fancy at all, but the food they make by hand is very, very good. We stopped in because we drove 180 miles just to try the place out. The waiter was cordial, knowledgeable and very personable. The cook was busy, but turned out appetizers and meals for two of us and two other groups in a very reasonable amount of time. Not Mexican food, but similar. Blue corn tortillas in the enchiladas, red and green chilli sauces very tasty and not overly hot. Pinto beans cooked and not overly spicy. That way you can taste the food, the chicken and beef in the enchiladas, the beans themselves and not strong spices. We loved it and will go back again as soon as we can. Open only 11:00 to 4:00 and closed Tuesdays. Check out their web page , or call ahead to make sure they're open, since it is a mom and pop shop and they also have lives to live in addition to the restaurant. Just past the casino on the way into Taos Pueblo. Worth the effort to find it.

Date of visit: May 2019