“Don't waste your time or money on this place.. Owners don't care”

Antonio's The Taste of Mexico
Ranked #1 of 131 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: An Eclectic Taste Of Mexico. Chef Antonio covers all the bases, deliciously. Everything on the menu is prepared fresh and made to order and the majority of the menu can be prepared gluten free. Because of the flavorful, full-bodied sauces, you will be pleasantly full at the end of your meal accompanied with a fun Margarita like a Jalapeno, Watermelon Margarita. Nothing else like Antonio's Restaurant in beautiful Taos, New Mexico.
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Antonio's is the perfect example of a website not accurately representing its business. Their website looks great - so much so that we decided to have one of our meals there when we were in Taos last weekend.

We stopped in Saturday night (10/2/10), because we did not have a reservation they sat us in the courtyard. It was lovely, until the sun went down. Then it was down right cold. They have heaters for the patio, but only one person in the restaurant was qualified to light them and he wasn't in yet. Teeth chattering we persevered. We ordered the Quacamole made tableside. It was terrific. Afterwards we waited over an hour and 15 minutes for our dinner to come.

When we were initially sat we were the only ones in the courtyard in that particular section. As other tables started to fill we asked again to get the heaters going. Guests at the other tables agreed in concert. Still no heat. No service. We found ourselves in a black hole. As the tables around us started getting their dinners I inquired as to the status of ours. We were told ours were the next to be served. 15 minutes later we asked again. we were told excuses: a ticket machine had broken down in the kitchen, they were busy, and if we didn't like it we could leave. This was uttered by Antonio himself, as he oversees the kitchen. We were shocked by his attitude. Sarah, Antonio's wife came up to us and said the same thing, "if we didn't like the wait we could leave." We should have.

We finally got our meals. Two were luke warm (sitting in the kitchen too long???), mine was cold. I sent it back. It came back, cold again. Hmm... Should have left! They ended up not charging me for my dinner (as they should have). Since the whole experience was so awful we decided not to leave a tip. A week later (just an hour ago, in fact) I was checking my credit card statement and found that someone had added in a 20+% tip on my charge. This is adding insult to injury. The owners clearly don't care about taking care of people. Why are they in the hospitality business??? The food was marginal anyway.. only the guac was wonderful. Oh yes.. I forgot to add that they did give us a "complimentary" basket of chips to hold us over until we got our dinners. Nice of them, isn't it. Too little too late.

Graham's Grill and Doc Martins are the places to go in Taos. Really... don't waste your time or money on Antonio's.

Lesson learned: Check reviews thoroughly, don't base your decision on a nice website.

Reviewed October 9, 2010

I had the signature releno with pomegranites. Each bite was like sinful -exploding sensaitons to my taste buds. Get the quacamole too. This is a must visit - even though no liquor license, the meal was fine and we will be back! You can dine inside or outside around a fountain. Great art/decorations. Romantic!

Reviewed September 22, 2010

Let me qualify this review by saying I lived in Dallas for almost 3 yrs and should know better to look for Mexican outside of Texas and Monterry, MX. That said my wife asked the waiter how are the fish tacos and he says idk I have not had them here or anywhere else.
Salsa was below average, service below average, weak / expensive margs and to top off a bill that had 2 items we did not even order.

It's just a no.

1  Thank Bryan G
Reviewed September 19, 2010

Waited overlong to be seated. Finally got to order then another long wait for the food. It arrived and, just as we were about to taste, the manager ran up and SHOUTED "Stop! You haven't tasted yet" She then very rudely ordered the server to give those plates to another table. That table than sent one plate back because it was wrong (it was the one we ordered) and when we finally got our food it was wrong (the dish the others had ordered). There was no apology and we tipped ZERO, noting on the charge that it was due to a rude manager. As we left we advised several others not to risk it. It is now almost two weeks later and it still is a very irritating memory. NEVER go there!

2  Thank Mwhitney9
Reviewed September 17, 2010

Good food and good service. I'd definitely go back. The guacamole was great. The service was great. The rest of the food was better than average. Great outdoor patio.

1  Thank ridger2222