“Upscale Mexican. Highly recommended.”

Antonio's TheTaste of Mexico
Ranked #9 of 129 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: An Eclectic Taste Of Mexico. Chef Antonio covers all the bases, deliciously. Everything on the menu is prepared fresh and made to order and the majority of the menu can be prepared gluten free. Because of the flavorful, full-bodied sauces, you will be pleasantly full at the end of your meal accompanied with a fun Margarita like a Jalapeno, Watermelon Margarita. Nothing else like Antonio's Restaurant in beautiful Taos, New Mexico.
Reviewed November 22, 2013

The restaurant is in a very interesting building, and also has a courtyard. Everyone who was working when we had lunch looked happy with their jobs and seemed extremely competent. We had the lamb cooked in banana leaves and the mole chicken. No complaints at all about our experience.

Benina R, General Manager at Antonio's TheTaste of Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

Dear, "Upscale Mexican. Highly recommended."
I believe that when you wake in the morning and want to go to work, that speaks volumes about management and overall work environment.When a server approaches a table it is very easy to tell if they are happy to be at work or not. I am excited to hear that our service reflected that of a joyful and happy to be at work attitude. We at Antonio's of Taos are like a family.We have hard days and at times not everyone will rave about us, but one common goal is making the customer feel wanted and comfortable. The food is out of this world. Antonio has worked at almost every restaurant here in Taos and managed a huge restaurant in Cancun, Mexico.He knows what Sabor' is and adds a unique touch to every dish.Chef Nick pays close attention to detail and what ever the customer wants, they get!Thank you for highly recommending us.We look forward to seeing you and family again.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

I have eaten at Antonio's twice this week and both times the food was exquisite! The service was top notch and the atmosphere was very nice! The mango tres leche was the most heavenly dessert I've ever ate. It was wonderful! Wonderful chef! EAT HERE and you won't be disappointed!!

Dear, "Excellent and Heavenly"
So if we are Heavenly and Excellent, Does that make all of us who work here Angelic? On a serious note. We are stoked to hear that you loved us so much to go to the extent to call us heavenly. The Restaurant should be called Antonio's A Taste of Heaven. I am not one to toot our own horn but today I will say Toot! Toot! Through the summer we had tons of people lined at the door for our food and service. That being said, far into the slow season we are still going strong and having full dining rooms while others are not as fortunate. God has been good to the establishment and we are please that you were able to write such a complimenting review.
We will be eagerly awaiting your return.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We walked in the snow from our B&B to this lovely restaurant our first night in town. The wait staff was helpful, friendly and the food was fantastic. They had a man playing guitar while we ate and it added to the ambience.

Benina R, General Manager at Antonio's TheTaste of Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

We are thrilled to hear that you rated us as one of your best Mexican restaurants.Antonio serves the most fresh and unique Mexican and Tradional Northern New Mexican food one can enjoy.We love that we met your expectations and we are looking forward to seeing you again also hoping you send all your friends to experience A Taste of Mexico in our beautiful town of Taos.Not to mention Longmont Colorado has been so welcoming to Antonio's on Main street.So both locations are beautiful and will be happy to serve you.
Respectfully,

Reviewed November 3, 2013

The first meal I ever had in Taos was at Chili Rellenos almost ten years ago. It was a most memorable experience. That restaurant changed hands and its name, but it was Antonio who owned it at that time who is now the owner of the present day Antonio's and still serves the meal I wanted to taste again..Chili relleno en nogada, his signature dish. It came out all gussied up, a single large chili fried in batter, filled with hamburger and raisins and covered with a pecan/brandy cream sauce. The ubiquitous beans and rice was still the accompaniment. And so that makes this the second time I have ever had this dish. It seemed a bit sweeter than I remember, maybe due to excess raisins, but it was still delicious at $13.

My husband had the enchiladas con mariscas with a langostino tail and a crab leg added with the basic chipotle cream sauce for $16. I had.the house margarita which was fine along with chips and pretty good salsa of the right consistency, texture, and taste, albeit a bit light on the cilantro. I know there are people who hate the taste of cilantro, but it would be nice if customers were asked if they would like a salsa with a heavy hand of it or not at all and it could be added at the time of serving.

We had an appetizer of taquitos served with a mashed potato stuffing, but $8.50 and so be prepared to feeling exceptionally heavy and lethargic after such a meal, especially if you add a dessert or more.

For dessert, I ordered the tres leches cake which seemed more to be the mango cake rather than the tres leches. Even our bill showed us paying for a mango cake which I asked about and was assured it was the tres leches. But I feel it was switched, maybe due to running out of the cake I wanted? I will have to go back and ask for it again to see if I did receive the wrong cake or not.

We ate at an off time of day, outside in the patio trying to keep up with the setting sun by literally moving our table three times. The next day it snowed so one can understand the desire to utilize the crisp air and sunny moments that we still had before winter weather comes in for good.

Next time I will eat inside, which is also a most pleasurable experience with art on the walls and a fire in the hand crafted fireplace. I do believe that eating at Antonio's is a must do while in Taos..at least once in your life, if not more. By the way, the house margarita was $7.50 and this plus the dessert, the appetizer, the margarita, and a beer brought the total bill up quite a bit higher than I would have liked to have paid for a late lunch, but that was our choice.

Sarah M, Owner at Antonio's TheTaste of Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

CARFASH,
HI there! It sounds like you had a pleasant experience and i want to thank you for your repeat patronage.
I do want to apologize about our tres leches dessert not being to your expectations. All our desserts are homemade. And so i know that what we have to offer on our menu items is what we create in our kitchen and so we don't offer a mango cake besides our wonderful tres leches. and so maybe I'm thinking that Juana our prep chef just put more mango than usual. we've always used mango for our layered tres leches. But please I hope that on your next visit you will save some room for our tres leches, and I'm sure it will be to your perfection:).Again I want to thank you for your pleasant review:)
sincerely
Sarah

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Merely OK with a limited menu, we had trouble finding a dish unspicy enough for my taste. Service was so-so, and the only real plus was its proximity to the Plaza. We greatly preferred the far better foo, selection, and service at both the charming, gourmet Love Apple and Lambert's, on the Plaza itself and a lovely dining experience.

Benina R, General Manager at Antonio's TheTaste of Mexico, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear "Least Liked Dinner in Taos."
I am sorry to hear that oyu did'nt find much on the menu that was unspicy enough for your liking.We are Antonio's A TASTE OF MEXICO. We pride ourselves on the wide oray of flavors we decorate each dish with.We do cater to gluten free,vegitarian and veggan folks.As far as spicy goes, we can always adjust and sunstituite our pico de gallo sub chile for queso.There is always a solution. That being said I am sorry that your server did not make that option readily available to you.I will go through these option thoroughly with the staff to ensure that a future accurance such as this may arise, we are all on the same page.As far as Love Apple and El Meze go, I feel that they are both great restaurants but completely different from ambiance to food and service that Antonio's. I know for a fact that you can not get a chile relleno en nogada in any of our surrounding restaurants.We do stand out from the crowd and pride our menu as being very different then your same old Mexican restaurant. One not wanting pasta must not go to a Italian restaurant and one who does not care for seafood would more than likely not go to Red lobster only to be unhappy with the outcome.Endourcements for other restaurants would be preferred not to be on our blog.
Respectfully,