“Terrible overall- disappointed”

Antonio's TheTaste of Mexico
Ranked #42 of 125 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Mexican food
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible overall- disappointed”
Reviewed December 29, 2011

So it started out pretty good because the manager accommodated us on a busy night without reservations.  Then it all went to hell. It started with our 20 minute wait for chips salsa and our drinks. The place was understaffed. My boyfriend ordered Modelo especial, and someone randomly gave him something else. Our waitress never paid attention to us, so he just drank whatever they gave him. Then another waiter arrived with the right beer, and took the other one that we asked to keep anyway. Some random waiter dropped our chip basket to our neighbors who were halfway through their meal. Then we got guacamole, I asked for limes to put on that from yet another waiter, he brought a wedge of lemon.......... My simple order of water without ice couldn't be completed correctly either. I asked the manager for limes, she said of course (we never got them). Our order was not really placed, the waitress came back to "re-confirm" our order about 25 minutes after we had arrived. Then our food was finally here! It sucked. The pico de gallo was nasty ( I'm Mexican so I know how it is supposed to taste). The avocado on my plate wasn't fresh , and my boyfriend's green mole carnitas weren't any good. The table next to us got extra tortillas, they declined them and the waitress turned around and just gave us what the other table didn't want. It was a terrible experience for our first time in this restaurant. Good luck to anyone that wants to give it a chance. Will never come back.....

1 Thank Frg008
Sarahml_12, Owner at Antonio's TheTaste of Mexico, responded to this review, January 1, 2012
We sincerely appreciate you visiting our restaurant and are sorry that your visit was unsatisfactory. Some issues that you experienced were do to the extreme heavy volume that we experienced during your visit - this is our busiest week of the year. Others, however, are issues that we need to address. We have shared your review with our service staff to make sure that they are aware of the claims that you are making and so that we can make certain that future guests do not experience similar concerns. We thank you for taking the time to write this review so that we can pay attention to areas where we still need improvement, and we hope that you will come back and post again on your improved experience.

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Awesome NM food”
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Only tip is to make sure you make reservations or get there early. It got good parking across the street.
Food was excellent, service excellent. Make sure to get the guacamole table side. It was really good.
Really good food in a really professional and friendly place.
We were not sure, but now it's on our top 5 list for taos!

Espanola, New Mexico, United States
“The Most Delious Mexican Food You'll Ever Eat”
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Antonio's has been around for many years, but I just visited it (twice within a week) at their new location just off the Taos Plaza. The food is handcrafted Mexican (not New Mexican) food made with really high quality ingredients and the touch of an artistic chef who really cares about his work. The red chile Tortilla Soup is the best I have ever tasted, warm, deeply tasty and full of the freshest veges and warm, roasted red chile. Yum. The Chile Rellenos are done Mexican style, I had them with both red chile and green chile (Christmas style.) The best Rellenos I have had outside of Mexico. You must try the taste-teasing huitlacoche enchiladas as well. Absolutely delicious. To top of the meal, we ordered the Tres Leches cake. Again the best I have ever eaten anywhere! Moist, melt-in-your mouth goodness. Sooo perfect. I highly recommend Antonio's!

• Visited December 2011
Taos, New Mexico, United States
“Home sweet Antonio's”
Reviewed December 16, 2011

There are several reasons why a restaurant becomes a regular hangout. For me, those are convienience, consistency, and a dish that calls me home. Here at Antonio's, that dish is Chile Relleno en Nogada. It's exquisite,. If you like meat and brandy, just try it. Reading the description will just scare you. The best part is the counterpoint of tiny succulent pomegranate seeds that tops it. Delish!!!

el prado
“Best place for New Mexican fare in Taos”
Reviewed December 12, 2011

Antonio's is back behind the Taos Plaza, near the big Catholic church. Antonio has been operating restaurants in Taos for years. His food is always top notch. You can buy his salsas/picante sauce at Cid's grocery store and it is worth the money. Excellent guacamole at Antonios, and incredible rellenos. I've always had great service at Antonio's too. They are open when they say they will be (not always the case in Taos).

Visited August 2011