“Heartbeat of the southwest”
Review of Casa Gallina

Casa Gallina
Ranked #1 of 23 Taos B&B and Inns
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed January 30, 2006

Bed and breakfast never felt so good! My sister and I stayed at Casa Gallina Memorial Day weekend 2005 and I was surprised and pleased at the relaxing atmosphere and ambience of a southwest home with a “palais de poulet” in the backyard. Everything in the casa is designed to make you feel the steady heartbeat of the southwest. And we did. After seeing all the sights of Taos and the surrounding area it was so good to come “home” to the casa, kick off our shoes, take a shower, grab a glass of wine and sit on the patio and listen to the songs of the birds and the interesting clucking conversations of the hens as they pecked and perused the back yard. We quickly learned our way around with the guidance of Richard, (who is a wonderful host!) and made trips down to the local grocers to pick up fresh foods to prepare in the well organized kitchen at the casa. We also had fresh eggs from those hens! We had one of Richard’s scrumptious breakfasts and I won’t tell what it was because it would spoil the surprise of anyone who might get a repeat of this edible work of art. Richard’s 3 dogs were so well mannered and sweet we just wanted to take them home with us. Richard made us feel welcome and well cared for without ever intruding on our privacy and I signed up for one of his massages that left me saying Ahhhh! And smiling and wishing I never had to leave. Sis and I left relaxed, refreshed, regenerated and spiritually renewed. We are planning our return trip now as I write this note.

• Stayed: May 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Casa Gallina

Reviewed January 28, 2006

We just stayed at Casa Gallina January 2006. We had tried to stay two other times but it was always booked. Finally, we got to experience Richard's charm and beautiful creations of home away from home.

I have already booked another week in July. Here are the highlights of staying at Casa Gallina with Richard as your host:

*Colors and warmth--I felt the energy as soon as we pulled in his driveway...however, upon entering the door of Casa Gallina....wow...what style and grace Richard created his "homes" with....one sees it and feels it right away.

*Wine and food await one on the kitchen counter--pear stuffed with blue cheese, hardboiled eggs from his chickens, figs, olives, wine....Yum--what a welcome!

*Flannel sheets--terra cotta colored--Now, I have slept on flannels before--however, these were the nubbiest, most comfortable flannels and I didn't want to leave the bed...I have been trying to duplicate the feel and color since returning home and so far, no luck.

*Incredible music....the stereo system is loaded with music choices

*Peace and quiet--it is about 5 minutes from town...NICE!

*Breakfast is heavenly--homemade tamales with eggs from his chickens, fresh-squeezed juice--fresh, out of the oven, almond raspberry muffins, avocados, cappucinos, roaring fire, did I already mention this is my favorite place?

*Book Talk--Enjoyed talking with Richard about his favorite books

*Pays attention--Our daughter traveled with us and she had just had surgery. He was very attentive to her needs and went out of his way to make sure she was comfortable.

*Massages--Richard is famous for his massages--he just doesn't give one a massage--he "yoga-dances" with one's body on the table. He does all the work and all one has to do is yield to the beauty of the movement of his amazing energy.

I am returning.

Thank you, Richard, for everything.

• Stayed: January 2006
3  Thank Roosters
Reviewed December 26, 2005

Can't wait to return -- it was absolutely wonderful. From the beautiful and comfortable decor to the homemade Christmas cookies, our host, Richard, and Casa Gallina helped make this truly one of the nicest holidays we've ever experienced. Our 8 and 11 year old girls loved feeding the chickens and checking for fresh eggs each morning, and adored our host's three friendly canine companions -- Bobo, Girlie, and Canella. It was a convenient location to skiing, shopping, and gallery browsing, and only a few minutes to the storied plaza. And sitting on the porch sipping coffee each morning, looking out at the mountains was a truly relaxing and peaceful treat.
Mona, Drake, Kate, & Emma