“First timers in Taos” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Inn on the Rio

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Inn on the Rio
Ranked #12 of 23 Taos B&B and Inns
Eagleville, Pennsylvania
“First timers in Taos”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Found Inn on the Rio on the internet and decided that after the big chain hotels we were in for a family wedding in Bloomfield, we'd take a chance on a B&B for a couple of nights. Good choice! The location is a very short drive to town center. It wouldn't be too bad to walk but not always a big enough shoulder to make it safe enough after dark. Breakfast with Jules and Robert was yummola! Had a "german baby pancake" which was awesome! Robert makes homemade bread if there are enough guests, which there were. Also provided were homemade preserves. They have lots of artistic touches in the rooms and the breakfast room, the latter of which is complete with kiva-style fireplace. It must be very cozy in winter.

The plumbing is "delicate" in Jules' words. That is, good mineral-heavy water makes for great drinking water, but flushing the toilet is a challenge at times. The pool was too cold for my taste (I like it like a bath), but relaxing to lay beside nonetheless. Hubby John and I enjoyed the hot tub the first night. After a long and arduous hike up to Williams Lake in the Wheeler Peak wilderness area, we were too tuckered out to enjoy the town on the second evening. But we did take-out Italian and ate it on the patio outside of the breakfast room with some good little red wine bottles from the local supermarket! Dining al fresco in Taos - the best.

Would definitely go here again if we're lucky enough to head toward Taos in the future. Afterall, our hometown Philadelphia is quite a ways away! But we will get there again - someday!

John and Margarete Emery

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

My parents have been staying at Inn on the Rio when they visit Taos for the past few years. I made my first trip to Taos but stayed at a different hotel than they did. I came to Inn on the Rio with them one afternoon for a little R&R before we headed to the plaza. And...I fell in love. I was quite jealous of my parents for staying there, while I chose to stay right on the busy plaza. The rooms are decorated in an authentic and comfortable way. New Mexico artists have painted murals in the rooms and on the exterior. The garden was beautiful, as was the the pool and hot tub. I met the owners, Jules and Robert, along with their dog Stormy and they were extremely welcoming. You can bet that I will be making Inn on the Rio my home away from home when I visit Taos again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

My stay, too short, was a delightful one. Jules and Robert were very accomodating and informative about the dining and activities around Taos. The hot tub was truly wonderful...under a blanket of stars...under which you are surely to view a shooting star. Cute roadside B&B that is convienent to Taos plaza and sightseeing. Hosts are currently improving and remodeling this 60 year old motorcourt.

The highlight of my stay was Stormy...a lovely, gentle puppy of great size and personality who welcomed each guest like they carried a t bone steak. An adorable dog who was taken in on a stormy, snowy day by Jules and Robert. I only wish I were that dog...

I did not want to leave this adorable B&B....alas work beckons....

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank TMTarpley
Glendale, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I was referred to the Inn on the Rio by a friend. I had never been to a B&B before so I was not sure what to expect. When I pulled in, I immediately liked the place. I was greeted by Robert in a very cozy common area. Once I entered my room, I was in love with the place. I actually stayed an extra day and wanted to stay longer! It is truly a place "where friends send friends".

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

My husband and I spent a get-away weekend here and were impressed with the welcome that we received. Robert was extraordinarily helpful with restaurant choices, things to do, and places to go. We took his advise and weren't disappointed. Breakfast both mornings were relaxed and enjoyable. Jules' food was delicious and meeting and talking with the other guests was an invorgating start to the day. The rooms are comfortable, and we enjoyed the sitting area outside the room. It was close enough to be minutes from town, but quiet enough to get a good night's sleep. We would definitely come back!

Room Tip: As for one of the rooms with the larger bathrooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

We stayed here based upon recommendations found for this B&B. Room was very cozy, clean, and well appointed. We especially loved the outdoor hot-tub and the breakfast was really delicious! Robert and Jules were excellent hosts.

Room Tip: We were in the first set of rooms near the house; closest to the hot-tub! Hot water for tea is provi...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

We regularly escape the Oklahoma summer heat with a refreshing trip to Taos. Our first time at Inn on the Rio around 2002 or 2003, we took a chance on an unknown and have stayed with Robert and Jules every trip since. Now we tell people we're going to Taos for a few days to visit friends and that's exactly what it feels like. The Inn is wonderfully charming, in a great location on the edge of town and the edge of the National Forest. Every visit brings great memories and a cozy, relaxing stay where breakfast is the meal of the day!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great. Turn on the small oscillating fan in each room for a little white noise and...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple