“simply, fun”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Portland, OR
“simply, fun”
Reviewed August 17, 2007

I recently had lunch at the Dragonfly Cafe, and it was by far, one of the best restaurant experiences I have had in a long time. The setting and staff were wonderful, and the food was even better. They had such unique meals, and the bakery section of the small cafe was to die for! This place is not the easiest to find, so if your in Taos, be sure to seek it out! :)

Arroyo Seco NM
“A local treasure”
Reviewed May 7, 2007

The Dragonfly perfectly captures the laid back, friendly ambiance of Taos. The wait staff is friendly and helpful, and the food is terrific. Best lunch and breakfast in Taos. And the big bonus is the bakery -- clearly the best in town by far! The almond croissants and eclairs are to die for! Karen does a great job in the kitchen.

1 Thank Boley
West Hartford, CT
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious, friendly--Eclairs to die for!”
Reviewed May 6, 2007

My girlfriend and I ate at the Dragonfly last week after passing it on the road repeatedly. We were so glad that we stopped there and have eaten there several times for breakfast or lunch since! I'm not sure why the bad reviews except to say there are always "culinary anomalies" but after meeting the owner and trying there baked goods, quiche, croissant sandwiches with fresh eggs (from the owners own hens!) we are so glad to have discovered this quaint cafe.

It's run out of an old adobe that is truly a piece of Taos history-- you won't find buildings like this anywhere but Taos!

What you really HAVE to try are the Eclairs (usually baked daily) with homade vanilla cream filling (not that sugar fluff you see nowadys-- but the real old fashined cream) with RICH dark chocolate liberally smothered over the top! OY! The almond croissants are good as well as they have an awesome liberal dose of homade almond filling.

I think my favorite thing for lunch that I tried was the crabcake sandwhich with basil pesto. I asked why the bread is so good and it turns out they get up at 4am every morning and bake fresh rolls and breads and croissants-- that's dedication! At lot of the veges are home grown as well. We are really glad to have found this place and will stop there repeatedly because the food is so fresh and healthy feeling while still being delicious and really gourmet.

They even have good imported beers, wine and a house sangria. Karen, the owner travelled all around europe in her younger days and even gave us a taste of her authentic greek yoghurt drizzled with honey. I could barely finish the little cup but I've been craving it ever since! I appologize for the lengthy post but we're pretty serious about good food-- especially "on the road" and when I find somthing good I have to chime in. Cheers! --Bo

1 Thank JayWestHartford
New Jersey and Arroyo Hondo
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lucky TAOS to have this AMAZING restaurant!”
Reviewed May 5, 2007

The Dragonfly Cafe is the best "find" in Taos, everything is homemade, fresh and healthy. Alice Waters would LOVE this place. I don't know what those other reviewers were talking about --maybe they just were having a bad day---because the DragonFly is not at all as they described. It has the charm of old Taos--- kiva fireplace, nostalgic front garden with pools, and wait staff and owner that make everyone feel welcomed --and VERY clean! Now to the FOOD!. The Bibimpop, I had to try and it was the savory,slightly exotic dish I needed that day and I loved the homemade kimchee served with the dish. I couldn't resist having one of the gigantic homemade cream puffs topped with dark Belgium Chocolate--mmm--by far the best I had ever had. It was difficult to chose from the large dessert assortment--ALL HOMEMADE.. My husband had the special crabcake omelette served with a fresh creamy basil sauce and a side of crispy potatoes and he loved it. I talked with the chef/owner Karen Todd and discovered that she and her husband grow much of the food in their own gardens in the summer and even serve eggs from their chickens--now THAT's fresh! So, if you are in Taos --don't miss the Dragonfly---It is a great place for food lovers!

1 Thank SylviaLittleYork
Chicagi Il
“substabdard service/ok food”
Reviewed August 2, 2006

We came into the restaurant for a late lunch and though it was not crowded, we waited over 20 minutes for service. Finally I went up to the owner and asked for a menu and waitress. It took another few minutes for the waitress to come and 20 minutes for the food (a cold noodles on a bed of lettuce salad ) to arrive......and the salad came without the lettuce! After I pointed this out, the waitress said she did not know that salads came on a bed of lettuce!! Then after another wait, I mentioned something to the husband of the owner (also a waiter) who snapped "didn't you already tell your waitress?" The owner/chef then came over and apologized (with the bed of lettuce) telling me there were kitchen changes occuring. I'm glad I did not order anything more complicated. The place is cute and has potential, but they really need to get their attitude and act together!

3 Thank Chicago5