“Total Foodie and ex-Chef giving thumbs up!”
Review of Martyrs Steakhouse

Martyrs Steakhouse
Ranked #27 of 131 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Martyrs Lane
Description: Fine Dining Taos Style! We offer a wonderful selection of organic meats, locally grown salads, custom made desserts, and much more! Patio seating available. Large parties. Private party building. Catering. Dog Friendly Patio
Reviewed January 29, 2014

I can I'm told , be overly critical when dining out. I expect at least that you try to pretend you care about the food and the customer. However, it's gotta be very good or really bad for me to review.
Ive been to Martyrs twice in the last few weeks, once for their new Sunday Brunch and once for a weekday lunch. Both times were so enjoyable, I was almost shocked -considering how low most restaurants have fallen in Taos. On Sunday, we had Steak and Eggs & Eggs Benedict Florentine and grapefruit/elderflower liquor infused margaritas. Everything was cooked perfectly, the steak was good quality, cooked rare like my friend likes, (harder to fake a lousy cut) . My eggs which I can't take runny we're poached through but not overdone, and despite not liking runny eggs, there was enough Hollandaise to compliment. The English muffin seemed to be home baked. The heirloom Asian baby spinach was a nice surprise as Florentine. The Chef Gabe came out to visit and asked about our meal.
At lunch it was a lady friend day and I was treating, so I want it to be special. Another lovely experience! Water was initially asked for in a paper cup for my dog outside who was a little overheated, and generously provided in a dog bowl without question. Able to relax, we had Vodka Tom Collin's, with little bottles of club soda to refresh the drink, very nice tangy with natural lemon, no funky sweet &sour. Then the special soup and open Prime Rib /hunter mushroom sandwich for me $7 and the Portobello vegetarian sandwich for my friend. I substituted lobster bisque for the days soup and it was nicely rich with chunks of real lobster. My friends Portobello , had that fire grilled taste, came with roasted red peppers / pesto and a beautiful salad. All of it presented gorgeously but without pretense, real food, done well, care obvious.
The decor itself is wood and white, 20's Speakeasy theme/music which is both romantic and fun. Price was very reasonable, portions adequate, taste tapestry exceptional with attention to detail, nice cocktail menu. I like the feeling that you're doing something special without the inflated cost.
They have a nice balance in this aspect. Chef Gabe is a 'young man' though He says he's not so young, this might be my reflection, I think he cares. It shows up here.

1  Thank Patricia K
Rik B, General Manager at Martyrs Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Thank you so very much for such a wonderful review. It means so much to us to hear your thoughts especially when you are a CUlinary Artist.

Chef Gabe is amazing and we are so grateful to have him with us. His care and love for cuisine is obvious. Again, we are so happy you enjoyed both of your dining experiences with us.

We look forward to serving you again~

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Everything thing from the wine, tapas, soup detour and entree was delightful! We ordered the special (red snapper) and lobster Mac and cheese. Couldn't eat it all, but wasn't about to leave such good food, they wrapped for lunch and I will enjoy again tomorrow!

Rik B, General Manager at Martyrs Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

We are thrilled you hear you loved your dining experience and look forward to serving you again!

Reviewed January 10, 2014

We had been watching the construction phase when a traditional Taos house was renovated to a very nice, cozy restaurant. The next nine we were in Taos they had been open for a few months, had mixed but some good reviews, so we thought we'd give it a try.

The atmosphere is nice and cozy, although table arrangement is somewhat crowded. The hostess was pleasant and friendly and we were seated at one of several somewhat cramped two tops.

The salads and bread were quite good. We both ordered steaks (this is a steakhouse, right?) - mine a New York and my wife's a filet tournedo. Her filet was excellent, but my new york was only adequate - good, but nothing special given a somewhat pricey steakhouse.

Previous reviews were mixed, and we noticed that the management responded to virtually every one - great attention to customer satisfaction. We also noticed staff changes (including the chef) in response to customer feedback - a very good sign. However, the wait staff still needs work. Our server (a gentlemen with a large mustache) seemed exceedingly nervous and inexperienced throughout - although the restaurant was only about 1/3 full. As the meal progressed he continued to reinforce this impression and we noticed, with the exception of one female sever who was clearly experienced, competent, and friendly, the rest of the wait staff also seemed to be inexperienced and off their game.

In summary, the atmosphere is very nice - warm, cozy, and friendly. The food is quite good, although not consistently excellent (steak) as one should expect of a high end steakhouse - but the wait staff needs help. The service did not ruin our meal - but it's reasonable to expect both the food and service to be on par with a pricey restaurant.

We'll watch future reviews and probably give Martyrs another try next time we're in Taos.

What a thorough review. First, thank you for your detailed finer points and critique of our restaurant. Yes, the dining room is small and this is the first time we've heard in reviews that our guests feel cramped. This is something for us to look at and discuss as a management team, so thank you.

Your server with the mustache was John. I'm not sure what is meant by "nervous" but in any event, I would love to meet you personally when you are back in Taos, so I can oversee your service and dining experience.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

Well, we didn't try them all, but this was certainly our favourite during our stay. If you are going to call yourself a steakhouse, then your steaks better rate- and our two filet mignon mains were superb. Very flavourful and tender and cooked perfectly to order. The ambience was perfect and service was excellent. Also a good and varied wine list. Price for two was $127 (w/o tip) for 1 starter, 2 mains, 1 bottle wine, no dessert.

Our filets are superb! I agree and we are so thrilled you enjoyed your dining experience. We look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Wow this restaurant is a bit pricy but worth EVERY penny. The place is beautiful, an old blacksmith house. The service is Briliant and the food was as good as it gets. Don't miss this one even if you are vegetarian they have a menu to die for! The Lobster Mac n Cheese is heaven! The steaks were perfect, one member in our party had the burger, might have been the best burger ever! Desserts to seriously never forget.

Rik B, General Manager at Martyrs Steakhouse, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

We are delighted you enjoyed the service and food at Martyrs Steakhouse and look forward to serving you in the future.