“Quiet Gem”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
New York
“Quiet Gem”
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

Only a few tables with lots of space between them make for a relaxing dinner experience. Food takes a while to come out but is well worth the wait both for the presentation and taste. Interesting decor, eclectic but quite cozy. I highly recommend this restaurant!

Visited February 2014

Albuquerque New Mexico
“Delicious”
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Reading other reviews I can't believe the thing people consider important - a child's menu?, separate checks? This is supposedly fine dining! The restaurant is small and simply decorated. Only 8 tables which makes it quiet and gives the feel of not being on top of anyone. The atmosphere is bohemian and open planned with cook and dishwasher in full view of restaurant. Almost feels cold and perhaps would benefit from a little more thought put into decoration. That being said we had the most delicious meal. Pork Tenderloin was rates as the best one of our party had ever tasted - and he has eaten around the world. Filet Mignon was wonderful too. Disappointing that there was only one desert as I always save room for desert but it was Bread Pudding and not worth the calories for me. Owner/waiter (who is the splitting image of John McEnroe is pleasant and unassuming. He was busy the night we were there as every table was full and there were only three staff present - cook, dishwasher and owner. Everything was served in a timely manner and presentation was amazing. Will definitely return/
Yes the portions are average size. So nice to not be presented with a stack of food that we were unable to eat.

Visited January 2014
1 Thank gladys3152
Taos
“Depressing Dining Experience”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

The food was overpriced and only mediocre. Three of us were dining, we asked for separate checks some of us are non drinkers. The waiter/owner was extremely put out by our request in addition to charging us for the bread, he tacked on a 25% gratuity to EACH of our bills. Needless to say we will not dine there ever again!

Suffolk, United Kingdom
“Simple yet Delicious”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My boyfriend and I had dinner at Byzantium after receiving a recommendation from the B&B we were staying at. We were both pleased with our meals and the wine selection. The portions are what portion sizes should be, if you're used to eating like most American's you might want to start with the soup or order two entrees. The dishes were also simple yet delicious. I had the halibut and the fish was cooked perfectly on a bed of rice that had just a hint of coconut. Scott who must be the owner was also the only one waiting on tables. The ambiance was nice, it's got a bohemian romantic feel, although there are a couple of pieces of art on the walls that don't seem to fit in. As another review mentioned there aren't a lot of tables, but by the time we had ordered the place was full. It took a bit longer to receive our check and be checked in on than we would have liked, but other than that I can't complain. Entrees were in the mid $20 range and glasses of wine were $8-$10.

Canon city
“Number 3 in Taos! Overrated!”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Sorry.
Our hosts at the B&B guaranteed us to have the best meal and that we will be taking care like very special guests. Well, it was nothing like it.
The 13 of January everything has quiet down from the Christmas and New Year traffic, so we thought that the attention will be very warm and special. Surprised! The waiter was indeed different. The decor is very nice, but the room is physically cold. Our meals were so nouvelle cuisine that my friend made one bite out of her halibut! No taste, no color, just plain flat white rice and as I mentioned the piece of halibut was derisory ($25). My dish, the shrimp salad, was my choice and a mistake, few pieces of tomatoes, cucumbers with 2 shrimps sliced in half and flattened!!!
I had been in Taos for Christmas and did read the reviews referring to expensive and nouvelle cusine servings. Unfortunately, my second time in Taos, I had no time to read the reviews agai n and did forget about the Byzantium.
Non, merci