“Depressing Dining Experience”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Taos
“Depressing Dining Experience”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

The food was overpriced and only mediocre. Three of us were dining, we asked for separate checks some of us are non drinkers. The waiter/owner was extremely put out by our request in addition to charging us for the bread, he tacked on a 25% gratuity to EACH of our bills. Needless to say we will not dine there ever again!

Suffolk, United Kingdom
“Simple yet Delicious”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My boyfriend and I had dinner at Byzantium after receiving a recommendation from the B&B we were staying at. We were both pleased with our meals and the wine selection. The portions are what portion sizes should be, if you're used to eating like most American's you might want to start with the soup or order two entrees. The dishes were also simple yet delicious. I had the halibut and the fish was cooked perfectly on a bed of rice that had just a hint of coconut. Scott who must be the owner was also the only one waiting on tables. The ambiance was nice, it's got a bohemian romantic feel, although there are a couple of pieces of art on the walls that don't seem to fit in. As another review mentioned there aren't a lot of tables, but by the time we had ordered the place was full. It took a bit longer to receive our check and be checked in on than we would have liked, but other than that I can't complain. Entrees were in the mid $20 range and glasses of wine were $8-$10.

Canon city
“Number 3 in Taos! Overrated!”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Sorry.
Our hosts at the B&B guaranteed us to have the best meal and that we will be taking care like very special guests. Well, it was nothing like it.
The 13 of January everything has quiet down from the Christmas and New Year traffic, so we thought that the attention will be very warm and special. Surprised! The waiter was indeed different. The decor is very nice, but the room is physically cold. Our meals were so nouvelle cuisine that my friend made one bite out of her halibut! No taste, no color, just plain flat white rice and as I mentioned the piece of halibut was derisory ($25). My dish, the shrimp salad, was my choice and a mistake, few pieces of tomatoes, cucumbers with 2 shrimps sliced in half and flattened!!!
I had been in Taos for Christmas and did read the reviews referring to expensive and nouvelle cusine servings. Unfortunately, my second time in Taos, I had no time to read the reviews agai n and did forget about the Byzantium.
Non, merci

Casper
“I love to eat! I love this restaurant! Any questions?”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

This is our first trip to Taos and our first night out and we wanted to find a really special place to celebrate. Byzantium was the perfect place to start off our first visit. The food was wonderful! The ambiance was great as well. For dinner we all had the surf and turf which was amazing and presented with flair. The turf was a filet. The surf was tiger shrimp. It was served on a pile of garlic mashed potatoes garnished with broccoli and cauliflower. We also had the bread with marmalade which was incredible. The chef/owner Scott was quite engaging but chose not to make himself the focal point of our visit. He was around just enough to keep our drinks full and to answer our questions. I would highly recommend this very personal restaurant and we will return each time we come to Taos!

2 Thank Randy B
Hanover, Pennsylvania
“Nothing Not To Like”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Small, interesting shabby-chic decor, a chef who likes to talk about the food on offer and excellent food.
Not inexpensive, but good value-for-money.

• Visited October 2013