“Best in Taos”

Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
“Best in Taos”
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

I've lived in Taos for over 20 years and I have always loved this restaurant and I think out of all restaurants it is truly The Best In Taos.

• Visited September 2013

Trophy Club, Texas
“The Best Food in Taos”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Do not miss this gym of Taos. I almost overlooked it because the name seemed ancient and the appearance of the building's facade did not reach out to me. The menu was limited compared to so many modern restaurants that offer an abundance of choices. After trying the food, I understand. Byzantium focuses on doing a few things really well. I appreciate that more than the appearance of the restaurant, the ambiance, or the over-abundance of offerings. When I was offered dessert, I asked what were the choices. The answer -- chocolate truffle with berry sauce. One choice? Well, I did not really want dessert, but the notion of offering just one dessert told me that it might be something special. Of course, I ordered it -- and it was amazing.

• Visited August 2013
Manhattan, Kansas
“Byzantium is back as our best restaurant in Taos”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Scott had a little down turn in the late 0's, but he is definitely back on his A game in the teens. All of the food we had was exceptional. The chicken satay has an amazing peanut sauce and who knew a sesame oil and rice wine vinegar dressing would be so good on some greens. What we realized with our meal was that each dish had a perfectly prepared protein, an amazing sauce, and was beautifully plated. If you are foodie and want to be inspired to go home and experiment, Byzantium is the place for your next meal in Taos.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Robbie B
St. Louis
“If I Had To Pick An Absolute Favorite”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Scott created a true dining pleasure. All aspects are top notch...ambiance, décor, service, and of course the food. Keeping the restaurant very small allows him to focus entirely on making sure the diners have the best experience. Note...this is not a restaurant to wolf down your food and run. It is meant for you to relax and savor, celebrating life with a fine meal. My only complaint is that I don't live in Taos but I dine at Byzantium on every visit. I recommend Byzantium to all my friends visiting Taos, and you to!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank QuartzSeeker
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
“Just South of the Plaza”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We chose the Byzantium based on TA reviews and the recommendation of our B&B hosts. We were a disappointed with the mixed greens goat cheese salad - it seemed to be missing something. And the atmosphere was not as romantic as other reviewers had mentioned.
The steak with shrimp entree and chicken entree were very tasty and the service was well paced. We visited on a weeknight at 6:30PM and were the only diners until we left at 7:45PM
Beware - the menu is very limited; check it out before being seated.

• Visited May 2013