“Different” 4 of 5 bubbles

“Different”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2012

Nice place in Taos to eat. If the owner is there - he is open - Great food

Hico, West Virginia
“One of the best dining experiences we've had in all our travels.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

My husband and I had spent the evening strolling in downtown Taos and just happened to find the Byzantium much to our delight. The warm glow and wonderful aromas greeted us as we entered. The decor is dark, cozy and a bit on the gothic side which is very cool. Our waiter who turned out to be the owner was charming and welcoming. The food was incredible from homemade bread and marmalade, steamed mussels, fresh salad, trout and chicken. Everything was prepared to perfection. We travel the world extensively and this is one of the first reviews I've felt compelled to write due to our unexpected wonderful experience here. Reservations are definitely recommended because it is a small, intimate dining room. A definite gem to visit while in Taos.
Harold

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank Cindi R
Acton, Massachusetts
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

Byzantium is a wonderful small restaurant within easy walking distance of the plaza in one direction and the Harwood Museum in the other. The menu is limited and includes chicken, surf and turf, pork and 2 fish entrees along with some wonderful salads for starters. I had the seared Ahi tuna served with pickled vegetables and rice. My friend had the ruby trout. We shared a goat cheese and arugula salad. All our food was excellent. Wine and beer are available and I had a glass of wine. Again the selection is limited but very good nonetheless. The owner also works as the server and makes sure that guests are well taken care of, but not rushed. I was there in off season so don't know how busy it would be during the summer.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Tijeras
“Another wonderful dinner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

My wife and I made a spontaneous overnight trip to Taos in mid Feb and forgot to get reservations at the restaurant we had in mind for dinner so we remembered the great meal we had at Byzantium last year will staying in Taos. We dropped in early and there was room and the restaurant was warm, inviting, and smelled wonderful. Both my wife and I were on a diet and the owner put together dishes that kept us honest and provided another wonderful dinning experience at Byzantium.

• Visited February 2012
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“The Perfect Way To Start Off Our Taos Vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

We were incredibly happy to have discovered Byzantium through a very positive restaurant review in our local Albuquerque newspaper the week before we headed up there. It turned out to be the perfect way to start off our latest Taos vacation!
I would first say that this is a small restaurant and quite popular from the looks of it. I'd definitely suggest making reservations, as you don't want to miss this jewel of a place. The menu is on the small side, but diverse enough for most palates. My husband and I both started our meals with the mixed greens salad with candied pecans, a light champagne vinaigrette and topped with a round of seasoned, mild goat cheese. The combination was fantastic! I had the Shrimp & Polenta with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce and loved every bite of it. My husband had one of the house specialties, Grilled Pork Tenderloin with a sauce /compote that was so delicious that he would only share one small bite of it with me. He raved about his dinner for days afterwards.
The owner, Skot Kirshbaum, was the epitome of low-key Taos graciousness. He not only helped us choose the best wines for each of our dinners but, great guy that he is, recommended 2 more restaurants for us to try, as well. We did the next day and both were lovely. Thank you Skot! In closing both my husband and I agree that all our future trips to Taos have to include at least one dinner at Byzantium. This truly is one of Taos' special jewels!

• Visited February 2012