“Good food, friendly service”

Bent Street Deli & Cafe
Ranked #8 of 130 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Boston, Massachusetts
“Good food, friendly service”
Reviewed December 22, 2007

I went here for lunch on a rainy December afternoon, but with their prime location amongst shops, the place was still busy. Quite contrary to the previous reviewer's experience, I found the staff friendly and our food was served quickly. I had the house salad and the spinach-stuffed phyllo. The house salad was pretty good, with fresh ingredients, and the phyllo was excellent (as were the two small sides served with it). One of my dining companions had the house salad and the day's soup and the other had the hot beef sandwich, and both really enjoyed their food. I also had a hot chocolate, as did one of my companions, and we both enjoyed them as well.

1 Thank straea

Oklahoma
“Thoroughly disappointed”
Reviewed November 30, 2007

We were in Taos for the Thanksgiving holidays. It was very cold and it seemed as though everything was closed (this was Saturday afternoon). We happen to notice on the Plaza that this little cafe was open. We had a party of 5 plus a baby.

For starters they couldn't sit us all together. Guess there's some law about pulling two tables together. The place isn't terribly small, but we agreed. We had two teenagers with us, and they really didn't want to sit with mom and dad anyway.

The wait staff seemed a little "snooty". Rushed through the "specials", and left us to think about it. A different waitress returned to take our order. We placed our orders, my husband ordered the John Dunn Sandwich, as well as my daughter, reasonable for $7 with chips. He also ordered the soup du jour which was Cream of Mushroom and was delicious. I order a $9 dollar small baked potato smothered with chilli and cheese and green chilli's. It was good, but about the size of a tennis ball. My son ordered the special which was Lasangna. It was $12 and good, but for a lunch special?? Our other guest ordered a $7 dollar Roast beef sandwich which was "good" she said.

We all ordered a beverage. Four of us ordered a soft drink for $1.75 a piece and my daughter ordered a hot apple cider for $2.00. We sat eating our lunch, not really being visited again by the wait staff, our drinks were empty and we had to ask for refills. Which seemed to be a hassle for the waitress to get. Long story short, we finally received our bill, which was a whopping $86.32. She failed to tell us that refills were full price and we were charged $20.00 of our bill for soft drinks.

This of course was an unexpected surprise and we felt as though the wait staff should have made us aware of this while ordering the refills. In return for the poor service and snooty attitudes as well as the surprise at the end of our meal. We left the waitress a $5 dollar tip. (We typically leave 15 to 20%.) Maybe that was shady on our part, but with a family of 5 it was unexpected to pay that much extra for drinks. As we were leaving the waitress approached us and asked "if something was wrong with her service, because this tip is "Like 7%???" We were completely annoyed by her boldness to confront a customer about a GRATUITY left for her poor service. That's why they call it GRATUITY, we didn't have to leave her anything. My husband told her we were taken back by our bill and the service wasn't really that terrific and the tip "is what it is", so she rolled her eyes and walked off. I guess you could say, we won't be welcomed back, nor will we be returning.

2 Thank Shellylind69
Texas
“Great bread!”
Reviewed August 22, 2007

This place serves the best bread, especially millet bread which they didn't have the last time I ate there.