“Yummy Breakfast”

Ranked #7 of 129 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: A family run restaurant and bakery in business for the past 37 years and still cooking! A menu of mouth-watering American and Spanish dishes, we serve breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert.
Nothern Colorado
“Yummy Breakfast”
Reviewed March 5, 2010

I'm sure that there are many reviews about Michael's. We were happy to see that our B&B was just across the street. We showed up around 10am on a Friday morning and the place was packed. We sat at a small 2-top that left little elbow room. The "bus-women" were very friendly and attentive. Our waitress was a little less so, she even sighed when she approached our table... I would have taken it personally, but she did that at every table. Special requests seemed to through them off. I asked for one slice of cinnamon toast and the waitress told me that I could only order 3 pieces. Later another customer asked to change seats and was told that she had already ordered and could not move. I ordered the strawberry waffle and my husband had the veggie omelet. He was hoping for avacado, but it must have been out of season. None-the-less, our food was great and filling. The coffee was really good. We will be back.

Omaha, Nebraska
“Good food in a Taos institution”
Reviewed March 4, 2010

I love this place. Simple, good food, wonderful baked goods, delicious breakfasts, sandwiches and New Mexican specialities.

I've seen reviews about people complaining that it isn't updated. These people serve reasonably priced food to a largely local crowd seven days a week. Taosenos stand in line here for their fix of Michael's food. The servers are friendly and attentive. Get some cookies or doughnuts before you leave!

Taos is a mix of cultures: Native American, Hispanic, Hippie, artists and ski bums. It tends to be laid back and relaxed. If you don't like that vibe, don't go to Michael's Kitchen. Don't come to Taos or New Mexico! Stay in New York or Houston! If you are willing to go with the flow, Taos can become your favorite little town.

1 Thank MostWinningWoman
Santa Fe, NM
“You simply must eat here if you're visiting Taos--a local favorite!”
Reviewed March 2, 2010

We always stop by Michael's Kitchen for breakfast/brunch when we're in Taos. It can get really crowded and there's a reason for that--the food is great and it comes in generous portions for a reasonable price. The food is nothing fancy--just good down-home New Mexican cuisine. We often sit at the lunch counter and it's a great place to watch the hustle and bustle of the place. The staff is friendly and they'll treat you right--your coffee cup will never get empty. Try any of the egg breakfast dishes smothered with green chile. Yum, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it...

1 Thank wanderlust817
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Great Local Eatery”
Reviewed February 21, 2010

It is common for people on the TripAdvisor forums to ask "Where do the locals eat?" Michael's is one of those places. Does that mean it's the best or most innovative food? Nope. But it is a homey, comfortable place with staff that doesn't change week by week. I've only eaten breakfast there--albeit once a month for years--so I can't weigh in on other menu items. The breakfasts are simple, but substantial. If you want to eat the 'local' way, order a side of green chile, regardless of what you're having ... even pancakes. The restaurant is centrally located, it has a bakery, and it's a good choice for breakfast in Taos.

1 Thank alexanderphd
ABQ
“Mixed Feelings”
Reviewed January 28, 2010

The food is tastey, I can't argue that, just a bit greasy which is probably why. We stopped in here for breakfast and the food was good, the place was packed and sevice was slow but we ate and were on our way with in an hour. They gave us a sample of their delicious donuts and we took some to go. The next day our boys begged us to go back for a donut. We were in a hurry to hit the road that afternoon so decided to just grab a quick cocoa and donut at the service counter. That was fine but at this place the wait staff don't handle the money, you have to stand in line at one cashier, I got in line and I kid you not (I checked my watch because we were in a hurry), it took 25 minutes to pay our bill. When I finally got to the cashier, I found out that he was taking people from 3 different lines instead of one. It was crazy. And I have to agree with other reviewers the place is looking very seedy and unkempt. They are always busy and making money hand over fist, it's time to update a bit. Even just a fresh coat of paint would be nice. Trip Advisor needs a sideways thumb for whether you would recommend to a friend because I would recommend but with caution.

1 Thank LADYgRN