“Great Local Eatery” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Michaels Kitchen Cafe & Bakery

Michaels Kitchen Cafe & Bakery
Ranked #1 of 5 Dessert in Taos
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Cafe, Soups
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: A family run restaurant and bakery in business for the past 37 years and still cooking! A menu of mouth-watering American and Spanish dishes, we serve breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Great Local Eatery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

It is common for people on the TripAdvisor forums to ask "Where do the locals eat?" Michael's is one of those places. Does that mean it's the best or most innovative food? Nope. But it is a homey, comfortable place with staff that doesn't change week by week. I've only eaten breakfast there--albeit once a month for years--so I can't weigh in on other menu items. The breakfasts are simple, but substantial. If you want to eat the 'local' way, order a side of green chile, regardless of what you're having ... even pancakes. The restaurant is centrally located, it has a bakery, and it's a good choice for breakfast in Taos.

1 Thank alexanderphd

ABQ
“Mixed Feelings”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2010

The food is tastey, I can't argue that, just a bit greasy which is probably why. We stopped in here for breakfast and the food was good, the place was packed and sevice was slow but we ate and were on our way with in an hour. They gave us a sample of their delicious donuts and we took some to go. The next day our boys begged us to go back for a donut. We were in a hurry to hit the road that afternoon so decided to just grab a quick cocoa and donut at the service counter. That was fine but at this place the wait staff don't handle the money, you have to stand in line at one cashier, I got in line and I kid you not (I checked my watch because we were in a hurry), it took 25 minutes to pay our bill. When I finally got to the cashier, I found out that he was taking people from 3 different lines instead of one. It was crazy. And I have to agree with other reviewers the place is looking very seedy and unkempt. They are always busy and making money hand over fist, it's time to update a bit. Even just a fresh coat of paint would be nice. Trip Advisor needs a sideways thumb for whether you would recommend to a friend because I would recommend but with caution.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LADYgRN
Lubbock, Texas
“Great Local”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2010

Great for all meals ! Trout and Pinons a great mix ,,. Nice place & great service.
I haven't been in 3yrs & couldn't stop last summer, But We will be going back . good Family
restaurant . Ok Prices , Good meals , But Taos is a little high. I always try to stop there on the way to Red River.

North Wales, Pennsylvania
“VERY GOOD food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2009

Just got back from a week at TSV. We got to eat at Michaels Kitchen for Sunday breakfast.

Huge generous portions, great friendly service, and a line out the door. Make no mistake the line is there for a reason.

If you eat food that you can get at home, you are cheating yourself. I had Martins Breakfast Burrito with red chile. It was awesome. Others in my group got the special which had eggs, hash browns, but a type of carne asada meat that was excellent.

We waited in the vestibule for about 15 minutes and they even came out and offered everyone in line coffee while they waited. The place is bigger than it looks with lots of tables, but still cozy. The staff is working in sort of organized chaos that makes this place fun.

I couldn't help myself and got a longjohn eclair from the bakery case. It was awesome!!

Good food, friendly fast service, and true New Mexico Food
If you don't like this place, you are not doing Taos right.

Oklahoma City, OK
“Great Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2009

We ate at Michael's twice during our trip to Taos, both times it was fantastic. For the first visit, my husband had the Poor Man's Egg Benedict while I had the Strawberry Crepes and our three year old had the Pancakes and Eggs breakfast from the kid's menu. While it said there were three pancakes for the little ones, it was more like 5, way more food than he could ever eat! My crepes were heavenly and my husband's food was great as well. The second trip was just as good. We would highly recommend this restaurant!