“The Old Standby”

Ranked #7 of 130 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Description: A family run restaurant and bakery in business for the past 37 years and still cooking! A menu of mouth-watering American and Spanish dishes, we serve breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert.
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Open all day and evenings Fri-Sun; full menu is served all day.
Great range of cuisine: steaks, seafood, New Mexican food.
Breakfast & Lunch Mon-Thur. Bakery is intense temptation!

There are newer reviews for Michaels Kitchen Cafe & Bakery

Reviewed April 11, 2014

This place was recommended for breakfast and it was fabulous. It was obviously a popular place as it was crowded but the waitstaff were on the ball and very attentive.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

My wife as a child used to go to Michael's when it was more of a bakery than an institution, and I've been going there since I was introduced to Taos in the 1980s. Michael's is an institution, but not one that stands on its laurels. The sopapillas are to die for, and the New Mexican dishes are superb; the coffee may not be as good as Peet's, but it was good and there was plenty of it. I had to take my future son-in-law and daughter there and encouraged them to try different things (my daughter had been there before). A wonderful place, and a great staff. (The person handling the bill was Taos High Class of 1974.)

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Our friendly Worldmark concierge recommended this restaurant for breakfast, and my 18-year-old son and I were thrilled with our choice. We both had huge, beautiful veggie omelettes with fresh vegetables (including lots of wonderful sliced avocado). Servers have personality: they are pleasant and professional, and also a bit playful, which was very nice. We only stayed in Taos three days, and we ate breakfast here two of those days. I highly recommend Michael's Kitchen.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We were a party of our for lunch.The place was very busy.We expected things to be slow but the service was impeccable as the staff appear to work together admirably.We had four different meals and they were all very good.We are disappointed we will not be back for breakfast as countless people have told us this place is great.