“Over rated”

Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Bent Street
Description: Doc Martin's Restaurant is an acclaimed dining establishment located in a registered historic landmark. A Taos tradition for locals and visitors alike, the warm ambiance of Doc's has been a gathering place since the 1920s and 30s. Our menu is a presentation of New American and Northern New Mexican cuisine, specializing in fresh organic foods from the Southwest. Known for its incredible value and vast selections from old to new world, our wine list has earned Wine Spectator's "Best Of" Award of Excellence for twenty-nine consecutive years.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Over rated”
Reviewed August 20, 2010

Doc Martin's is a hit or miss place for dinner. It is a great bar scene,

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Did Not Meet Expectations”
Reviewed August 7, 2010

My partner and I decided to take a drive from Albuquerque to Taos to experience a beautiful and comfortable day. After "google"ing best restaurants in Taos, Doc Martins came up as logical choice. We walked by the restaurant and was happy to see it packed with patrons. . .a good sign, we thought. We asked to be seated outside and was coached in trying 2 of their higher end margaritas (I've forgotten the name). The were $10 each and while they packed a punch, they were bitter and did not taste good. The waitress was a bit spasmic and was not attentive. My partner ordered the shrimp burrito and I the sirlon steak. While my partner enjoyed his burrito served with mexican rice and pinto beans, my steak, which was ordered medium came back well done. I was extremely disappointed with portion, half a a small irish potatoe which was stuffed with chives (I guess), a carrot spear an aspargus spear for $29. I was not impressed with a restaruant with such high marks. Since the service was so poor, I ended up having to locate my server through another server to send back my overcooked and ill- seasoned steak and place an order for the burritos my partner praised. The shrimp burrito came out within minutes and satisfied my hungry appetite, but it was not great either. Perhaps this was an off night, but when you're paying decent money for food and service, you expect at least what you pay for. Not sub par. Suggest exploring other options.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY”
Reviewed August 4, 2010

We went at opening hour when the indoor section of the restaurant was virtually empty with a wide selection of tables available. Not by choice, we were seated in an area near the windows besieged by large flies which we had to continually swat away to even begin to eat and drink. Over the course of the meal, the infestation only increased. Despite several mentions of the assault to the waitstaff who clearly observed and acknowledged the issue, only when we stood up to leave prematurely did they offer another table. Excuses were made without apology for the recent moist weather which they stated resulted in the problem. I was in the midst of eating my appetizer, not even half way through, when the waiter brought out our main courses, asking if I was finished with the first course. Clearly, I was not, but he was holding two hot plates in hand and I felt compelled to relinquish my appetizer. We felt rushed and poorly served.
I ordered the ribeye for $29.00. The portion size was 1/4 inch thick and akin to a breakfast steak at a pancake house. The roasted garlic I had as an appetizer was undercooked and hard.

NYC
“Great Chile Relleno”
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Our service was fast and friendly. This is our second time to Doc Martin's and we came back specifically for the chile relleno. The breading really makes the difference because it's not your typical beer batter breading, it's breaded with blue corn and pumpkin seeds. Delicious! If you're a chile relleno fan, this is a must try! We loved it so much we decided to feature Doc's in our first webisode of "Sus and Chlo On the Go" coming to your computer screens August 20th.

2 Thank SusandChlo
albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
“On The Down Slope”
Reviewed July 30, 2010

I think others have written that this establishment is riding on past glory. We agree that this is the case. We could see a definite deterioration in this restaurant which was once one of our favorites.

It's as if the place has lost energy or grown old. There was nothing really wrong about our dinner there but there surely wasn't anything really right either. The food was uninspired and we thought overpriced even if you put on a Taos premium. The menu selections were pedestrian to boring. My elk burger was ordered at the recommended medium rare but it arrived well done and thus pretty tasteless. The service was very slow simply because our waiter was trying to cover more tables than reasonable. I decided to choke down the burger rather than waiting another 40 minutes for its replacement.

Again, not bad and the setting is fine. The Adobe Bar is worth a visit, but due to indifferent food cooked improperly but priced over premium, we can no longer recommend this once truly wonderful Taos landmark.

1 Thank dryadsdad