“As Good As I've Ever Been To”
Review of Lambert's of Taos

Lambert's of Taos
Ranked #7 of 131 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Lambert's of Taos is a family-owned full service, upscale establishment serving Contemporary American cuisine with northern New Mexican influences in an elegant but relaxed setting. We are one of the few establishments in town that serves cocktails in addition to beer and wine. Upstairs we have the Treehouse Bar and Lounge for those not in the mood for linen tablecloths and looking for a cool, classy, and eclectic hangout with well-versed bartenders and inviting prices. During our Happy Hour (2:30 - 6:00), everything on our Happy Hour menu is $6.
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I went to Taos to ski for my 30th birthday and off of the recommendation of a friend made dinner reservations at Lambert's. I read the reviews on here beforehand out of curiosity and after reading some negative feedback recently, I was a bit skeptical. That's ultimately why I am writing this review because my experience was incredible and I wanted to share it with the rest of you. I travel a lot and can say with confidence that Lambert's jumped into my top 3 dining experiences along with Cafe Poca Cosa in Tucson, AZ and Bern's Steakhouse in my hometown of Tampa. As for the details:

Lambert's was great in the 3 areas that I always look for in a restaurant; food atmosphere and "wow" service (the 3rd being probably the most important to me having worked in customer service management over the last 10 years.).

Food: All 3 areas of my meal were amazing. We got the shrimp appetizer which supposedly is a staple on their menu and we weren't disappointed. The shrimp was lightly fried (pan fried?) and full of flavor. Very light and a great start. I also got a Caesar Salad to start and was impressed with this as well. Caesar Salads are the type of item that can set restaurants apart since they are so common and Lambert's did just that with theirs. For my meal I got one of the specials for that night which was scallops over a bed of angel hair pasta in a creamy lobster sauce. Being from Florida, I like to think I know seafood that is done right and this dish definitely was. High quality scallops, delicious sauce and great presentation.

Atmosphere: The location seems to be in an old house which makes for a unique setting. The best part about this was that there were only a few tables in each room which keeps the noise down and makes for a peaceful dinner. The entire place was very clean as well.

"Wow" Service: The service was AWESOME and our server, Tom, was very attentive. My friends called ahead and asked them if they could have a birthday cake for me and they delivered. It was totally unexpected and a great touch to an awesome birthday dinner.

Thanks to Lambert's and their staff for making my night great and I'm confident anyone else that heads to this place will enjoy their experience.

Steve DiBari
Tampa, FL

2  Thank Steved1206

Reviewed December 9, 2013

The service and atmosphere were great! The food was not good. We had the Brie appetizer which was predictable, but ok. I had the Wild Mushroom Risotto which was drowning in what tasted like synthetic truffle oil. The rice tasted very starchy and under done. My husband had the Seafood Pasta Florentine and said it was drowned in lemon juice, to the point of overpowering every other flavor. To be fair, we didn't complain or send anything back, but I will never go back!

2  Thank Toni S
Reviewed December 7, 2013

These "Best of Taos" awards often seem rigged. Our waiter, who was pleasant enough, informed us firstly of how many years Lambert's has been in business. Perhaps people have been hypnotized by an overpriced menu, buying into a collective hallucination for a couple decades. Perhaps the food was good at one point. It's truly baffling. We excitedly took my mother-in-law here back in September, looking forward to this restauraunt we had heard about and seen for years, but never patronized. I, perhaps foolishly, being in the desert, ordered a paella. Incredibly, the rice was not cooked! It was straight up crunchy! My wife ordered some chicken mango enchilada dish. It was a large portion; a messy, blob of chicken and cheese with no real texture, clarity or substance. To compensate, they covered the top with red chile powder that totally dominated and overpowered the food, making it so spicy, it was inedible. My mother-in-law had some bland beef wellington or something. None of us finished our food. My wife wouldn't eat hers. I couldn't eat mine. What a racket!

2  Thank Matthew B
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This place is highly overrated. The food is sub-par, the service is so-so, and the atmosphere was very boring and plain. We went as a family for Thanksgiving and my wife's birthday. We made reservations four months in advance and were put in a room so tight you could hardly get in and out of your chairs. As a family of five, one child, this seemed incomprehensible. An hour after they opened two of their menu items were gone; onion soup was gone eliminating two appetizers as onion soup is part of the three soup appetizer. The lamb dinner was gone as well which eliminated another item from an otherwise tight menu. (It might be noted that it's not unusual for restaurants to keep a consolidated menu for the holidays, however, they touted their menu to be full but was in fact not). My father in-laws steak was ordered as 'very' well done and came back bleeding rare, then sent back to be returned medium rare, then sent back again before it was cooked properly, obviously microwaved. Very disappointing. Wine by the glass was very limited and very small pours (portions). We were informed after three hours of dinner that only 4 alcoholic beverages per person may be consumed! This was stated as New Mexico law. This we found out later to be a lie. There is no such law in New Mexico. A couple of glasses of wine and an after dinner drink are expected in most places over 3-4 hours. Also of note, the bill was completely wrong. They charged us for things we did not order. The children's menu, which we were glad to see, accommodated us with the cheapest processed frozen grade chicken nuggets for $9 per order. We really came to expect more out of restaurant that touts itself as being the best of Taos. This is clearly not true.

4  Thank atyxs
Reviewed November 30, 2013

Food is expensive and the chef cooks meat the way he thinks you should eat it, instead of the way you order it. Streak entree ordered well was returned to the kitchen twice. No apology--no manager visit--no comp. One would think a $35 entree would be properly prepared the first time. Small rooms are noisy and ambience is average. Service was just okay. We will not be returning.

3  Thank Carole1911