“Heaven on Earth!”

Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Superior, Colorado
“Heaven on Earth!”
Reviewed May 27, 2009

We are Inn owners of high end luxury rentals and B&B's in Santa Fe, NM- (just 1 hr from Taos). We wanted to get away for our anniversary and decided on El Monte for our 3 night treat.
From the moment we entered we were treated like royalty. We stayed in the Marakesh Global Suite with private patio and hottub. Throughout our stay we were treated to free amenities like chocolate covered strawberries and champagne.
Our every request was dealt with quickly, quietly and efficiently, including a call to the front desk to have the pool boy come and fill the hottub-to the turndown service.
As discriminating world travelers and Inn owners we looked over each and every aspect of the resort from its amenities, services, housekeeping and dining and I have to say, without reservation, that El Monte Sagrado provided us with the most beautiful room, in the most peaceful setting, with the most professional service and the best dining and libation experience we've ever experienced in our lives---hands down!
The staff and the room and the food and the service all worked with flawless and machine-like efficiency (all without your notice.) A true and unequaled pleasure for an extended stay or a quick getaway. We left the property for only one day. We had a fun celebrity sighting, but a very disappointing diner at a highly regarded restaurant, only to return back to our oasis where great food, big smiles, fantastic service and true ambiance awaited us. A great time that made us agree that this will become our annual anniversary getaway for years to come!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank krisDandthekids

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Denver, CO
Reviewed May 27, 2009

My wife and I stayed at El Monte Sagrado over the Memorial Day weekend for 3 nights. We booked a package deal thru their website, it included 'free parking' and free continental breakfast, or $10 off regular breakfast. The overall vlaue for the 3 nights package we got we felt was GOOD. I'll go over some good points and some bad for anyone interested;
The resort itself is VERY well kept. If you drive thru the town of Taos, from any direction, and up to the El Monte, you will be happily surprised! Most of Taos is sort of quaint, or 'rustic', or old western, etc. The El Monte is definitely the nicest place in Taos, as far as my 3 days there led me to believe. The grounds are super lush, tons of trees, bushes, grassy areas, all very neat and looking like they are very well cared for. It's a great atmosphere. Very peaceful. The lobby/main buildings are very nice also. We stayed in a Mountain King room, and were VERY happy with it. Big thumbs up for the overall quality of the room. The layout is great, the bathroom and bed area are separated by only a curtain, this makes the whole room seem very big and spacey! The decor is very nice, great closets, bed was a little squishy for me, but perfect otherwise. Floors (and all other surfaces) were very clean. Let me put it this way... My wife has very high standards for comfort/cleanliness in hotels, and this room was to her liking. The soaking tub is great. We each took 2 baths during our stay. The Spa was nice, but small. The dry sauna is coed, we used it once, it was fine. There's mens/women's steam rooms too, the steam room worked for me, but not for my wife. We didnt' pay for any spa services. The staff were courteous enough, we didn’t really need any assistance, or ‘hand holding’ so I can’t really say they were outstanding or anything, but everyone was pleasant, and professional overall. On to the restaurants... We only ate breakfast in the hotel, but were very happy with the food served. I had the Eggs Benedict one morning, it was super good, highly recommend. Other than that, the HIGHLIGHT of our trip also occurred when we ate breakfast in the Gardens... None other than Taos' most famous resident/visitor, DENNIS HOOPER ate 5 feet behind us!! (If you are familiar with Taos lore, you'll know Dennis Hopper is a big fan of the town.) That was very cool. No, we didn't bother him, but it took a lot for me to not turn around and say something, he's one of my favorite actors.

On to a few negatives, which, overall were minor, but should be noted. First off... For parking, you can valet, or park yourself. If you want to park yourself, there’s still a fee… This is insane, there's no valid reason to charge guests staying at the hotel to park there, too. That’s nickel and diming, not cool, in my opinion. Also, our little package said parking fees were waived, but when the bill came, they did charge us $12 per day. This was fixed promptly, and courteously, but it's just plain lame to be there in the first place. The water in the room came out of the faucet MAGMA hot! I'm not joking, the hot water was so hot it could definitely scald someone. This was not a big deal for us, but I could easily see a child, or someone not paying attention scalding themselves. Lastly, the restaurant was a little overpriced. The 'continental breakfast' was a mini muffin, and a few pieces of fruit. And for coffee??? $6 per person for Starbucks blend. That's a little much!!! Hope this doesn't seem harsh, but those few things were the only real negatives we ran into.

I'd overall definitely recommend this place. If I ever go back to Taos, I would want to stay here, since it's the nicest hotel in the area.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dtmbizzle
Salem, MA
Reviewed March 19, 2009

We just spent our 1 week HONEYMOON at El Monte Sagrado - and WE LOVED IT! It was a very welcoming resort and even though it is only a few blocks away from the Taos Plaza, you feel very much that you are in a quiet mountain resort. We stayed in a Native American Suite, and it was such a great treat it was very roomy and cozy for us, with a balcony facing the Sacred Circle. We enjoyed everything the resort offered, the pool and jacuzzi, the SPA (Thanks to our friends who gave us a wedding gift for couple massages), the restaurant, playing pool in the library, talking to all the friendly staff, and browsing the gallery, and most of all JUST RELAXING which is easy to do at this peaceful place. We also did a lot of skiing at Taos Ski Valley, taking the Chile Line right outside our door, which was so easy, we walked to everything in Taos, we enjoyed talking to all the locals, everyone is so friendly, and we also did a day trip to Santa Fe. Even though we spent a week, we are already planning to come back, since there is so much more to see and do, and we would love to see Taos in bloom, and there is always time to do more relaxation, which is easy to do at El Monte Sagrado.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sunshine_Salem
denver
Reviewed March 2, 2009

My husband and I had our wedding at El Monte Sagrado at the end of January and it was truly a great experience. The hotel and grounds are incredibly beautiful and serene. The attention to detail in both architecture and decor is amazing. Overall, service was quite good and our guests all enjoyed the resort as well.

The rooms: We stayed in the China suite, which was elegant and romantic, and perfect for us. Our wedding coordinator had left a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries, the fire was lit and music playing when we checked in. It is a huge 2 bedroom suite with two full baths, and could easily be shared by two couples for the weekend. The decor is truly impressive, especially the paint in the master bath.
All of the Global suites have private patios with hot tubs, which was fantastic for hanging out with our friends and family who came for the wedding. I also saw the Mexico suite and the Argentina suite which were beautiful as well. Our suite had a very nice wet bar and a comfortable living room. The bed was very comfortable too! The hotel provided an extra mini-fridge for our use upon request, which was very helpful since they have the type of mini bar that charges you if you even look at an item too hard!

My folks brought their two little dogs along, and the hotel was very accomodating.

If you're looking at one of the standard Taos mountain rooms, they were very nice as well. I'd request one that faces into the courtyard lawn area, as opposed to facing the parking lot/back edge of the resort.

We did have an issue at check in with my parents room, and the person at the front desk was not helpful at all and was entirely unapologetic, despite several calls from my parents and a visit from myself. However, I spoke with a manager that evening and he went above and beyond to resolve the issue. Room service and requests for ice, towels and even a steamer for my dress were all handled very promptly and the staff was friendly on all occasions.

Our wedding itself turned out perfectly. We worked with the hotel's wedding coordinator and she was really great. The location and the food for the reception dinner could not have been better.

We ate breakfast twice in the hotel restaurant and found the service to be quite good, contrary to what I've read in other reviews here. Same with the bar. Breakfasts were good, although very expensive and I'd recommend just walking up to the main street for a better value and variety.

The parking and resort fees do seem a bit ridiculous, especially when you are already paying 5-star rates. Some friends took advantage of the complimentary shuttle service up into town, although I found it to be quite a pleasant and short walk.

The pool area was very beautiful and relaxing and the spa seemed very nice. I got a manicure before the wedding, which was very pleasant, but she did a mediocre-at-best job with the shaping and polish. I'd skip it for the price. A friend had a couples massage with her husband which she said was fantastic.

I would definitely go back for another visit, and would try to go in the summer to really enjoy the beautiful grounds.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank coloradotraveler95
Denver
Reviewed February 27, 2009

Terrible service, just as I'd heard. 45 minute wait for two appetizers, another 50 minute wait for two entrees--which came out five minutes apart--and pretty mediocre food after all of the hype. There were only two other tables in the restaurant. There're far better restaurants in Taos!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sandnmytoz
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed January 30, 2009

Stayed for a getaway weekend w/family. Price was high; resort has ambitions of being upscale, luxury place.

Some room details were well above average: jacuzzi tub, good sound system, terrific linens and bed. Some were less impressive: flimsy doors, and a layout that combined the worst elements of the Overlook Hotel (endless hallways) and Motel 6 (low quality carpeting and flimsy doors).

I second the reviewer who worried about the fish - we were disgusted with the filth of the tank. Parking was also needlessly complicated - you can waste 15 minutes and some money to have valets park your car 30 feet away, or park it yourself if there's a non-paying spot available. I hate stuff like this in Las Vegas; in Taos, it's just very tacky. Let people park at the hotel; they're certainly paying enough for the privilege.

Unfortunately, that sense of tackiness is pervasive in the property, from the constant visual reminders of add-ons (spa, restaurants) to the breathless tones used for everything (silly, and not justified).

The location is fair - about a third to a half mile from downtown. Honestly, there's better locations to be had at far lower prices.

Staff were polite, but check in (again) seemed designed to take too long (in order to try to book us for the spa or restaurant). 20 minutes sitting at a desk when you want to relax is silly.

There is nothing specifically "wrong" with El Monte Segrado, but at the price I want charm, staff with personality, and real hospitality (not a contest to see who can spend the most and pretend they don't care). Given the many local alternatives, I can't think why I'd stay here again.

• Liked — quality of items in room
  • Disliked — Overall vibe of trying too hard to be "exclusive"
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Danhedonia
Washington, DC
Reviewed January 24, 2009

My friends and I stayed at the El Monte Sagrado for the New Year's holiday and had a great time. The resort is beautiful, and staff is very friendly. We stayed in the Caballo casita, which is a charming little room with lots of personality (including an antler chandelier!). The spa is relaxing, and the restaurant serves tasty food.

There is, however, some room for improvement. For a 5-star resort, I think it is woefully understaffed. Requests can take a while to fulfill because the staff is trying to accommodate about a million requests at one time. Furthermore, the resort tends to be a bit stingy about toiletries. Normally, I expect new toiletries (shampoo, lotion, etc.) to be provided when the room is cleaned the next day, but they were not. I'm sure the hotel would have provided more if we had asked, but again, for a 5-star resort, we shouldn't have to. We were squeezing that lotion bottle for the last little bit by the end of our stay. I also find it annoying that they charge parking each day. Given that the only way to reach the resort is by car (there are really no taxis or public transportation to speak of in Taos), they should just bake that into the cost of the room, so the full cost of the stay is more transparent.

Also, and this may just be a matter of breakdown in communication, we had three adults in our party and had booked a room with two queen beds through a third-party website (i.e., not the hotel's own website), but when we arrived, they placed us in a room with only one queen bed. To their credit, the resort did not charge us for the extra rollaway bed that we absolutely needed and comped us free breakfast for two days.

• Liked — Decor, Spa, Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — A bit understaffed, extra parking fee