“A Peaceful Respit in Taos” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Monte Sagrado

El Monte Sagrado
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“A Peaceful Respit in Taos”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014

I stayed here one night. The room was large and clean and had regional contemporary Taos décor in the rooms, including a gas fireplace. It's a short distance to the downtown Plaza. You could walk in 15 minutes but we used the hotel's complimentary shuttle to drop us off and pick us up from a couple of places in town. Because parking is a premium downtown this was a nice service. It was very pleasant sitting on my balcony with friends overlooking the trees. I thought the price was a little high and was surprised by the mandatory $20 valet parking fee because cars were only parked 50 - 100 feet away and land at this location is not scarce like in some city hotels I have stayed at where it's justified to collect for parking. All in all, a pleasant stay, if a bit pricey.

Room Tip: The 4 buildings each only have 16 rooms and are located on a large piece of property. I doubt there...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Jorden N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

Very nice place to stay while in Taos. Quiet and only about 10 minutes from Plaza. Good food and nice bar, friendly staff. We would recommend. Decent workout room, nothing fancy. Smooth check in. Taos is a cool place to visit

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

At first sight, the hotel seems beautiful, with lush grounds and authentic southern decor. However, despite having a confirmed reservation, and despite arriving at exactly the time specified, I was first told that my requested room (2 queen beds) hadn't yet been cleaned, and then that they were full and no such room was available. The receptionist, David, appeared utterly unable to deal with the situation, and admitted that due to the hotel's policy of over-booking such situations occurred fairly regularly. Another member of the reception staff, Phaedren, proved a lot more helpful, and in the end the hotel did offer us a room at a nearby hotel free of charge (at the Casa Benavides Inn, which ironically is located closer to the main plaza in Taos). So, although El Monte Sagrado looks a charming hotel, the difficulties we had in checking in would definitely lead me to stay elsewhere on my next visit to Taos.
Tips: The El Monte Sagrado is a good 15-20 minute walk to the plaza (which has very limited parking), so might not suit an older couple.
In the room we were shown, the bathroom was only separated from the bedroom area by a curtain, so might not suit a family or group who like more privacy.
If you have problems at check-in, ask to speak to Phaedren - he's by far the most competent person there.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank David Q
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, responded to this review, August 19, 2014
We are so sorry you were unable to experience El Monte Sagrado. We do occasionally find ourselves in an oversell position but it is fairly rare. We hope that you do come back and see why we sell out. We have a lot to offer our guests and I'm sure you will enjoy our resort.
Parker, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

I booked a 3 night stay (Sunday-Wednesday) for a premier suite using Marriott Rewards Points plus money and was extremely pleased when my husband and I were upgraded to the 2 bedroom global “Spain” suite. Room upgrades are something Gold/Premier Elite members cannot always count on, but when they happen (especially at a fantastic place like El Monte Sagrado), visitors start valuing their Elite status and loyalty to Marriott.

The moment I first entered the global “Spain” suite, I knew it would earn a spot on my top 3 favorite places to stay. The suite offered unique decor, two bedrooms, two full baths with gorgeous tile work, ample lighting options (including dimmers), high beamed ceilings, and a private walled patio that wrapped around one half of the suite. Best of all, it only shared a small part of a wall — in the guest room — with the neighboring global suite. Other than that, there were no neighbors to the top, bottom, or other sides, and we had a very peaceful and quiet stay. The trouble was, I wanted to spend all of my time at my suite and large private patio instead of sightseeing around the Taos area.

Room recommendation: for those who value private outdoor space, I’d recommend avoiding the first floor southeastern-facing Taos Mountain Rooms. There is a path leading to and from the parking lot that skirts these units, and people on the lower floor patios are in full view of people using the path. The second floor decks don’t offer much more privacy, but probably have better views.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Elgin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

Stayed for three days and just wish it could have been more. Luxe facilities, fabulous staff, gorgeous and restful grounds. Could not have been better, and considering what was offered, a very reasonable price. We would do this again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: They're all good.
Green Features: They make a point of green practices; all water is recycled, planting are complementary, food is locally sourced, artwork is local, materials are authentic.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed at El Monte Sagrado and thoroughly enjoyed it. The grounds are beautiful, with water features everywhere. It was very relaxing and it felt like we were there for much longer than two days.We stayed in their standard king, which is anything but standard! We had a beautiful view of a grassy courtyard that was very well maintained with trees and flowering shrubs. The room itself had a soaking tub for two that situated between the bathroom and the bedroom. The bathroom was huge, and also had a shower.
The staff was very friendly. I would recommend dinner only once. The menu is not very extensive but we did find something the first nite. We dined in Taos the next night, at Martyr's. I would highly recommend! Very nice patio dining and great food.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
1 Thank annanddanbs
Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the El Monte Sagrado over the weekend while visiting Taos with my son. The Bell staff were friendly and attentive. The front desk was extremely short staffed and the check in time was very long. The rooms were spacious and very nicely appointed. The property was very attractive. The description of a room as a mountain view room was very exaggerated as we were able to see only the tip of one mountain top. The restaurant was excellent though in the morning they would not credit my platinum elite breakfast coupons toward a complete breakfast. Internet access was extremely slow . It was a very short walk to the plaza (restaurants and shopping). My greatest disappointment at this property was the fact that that they ruined a pair of my slacks in their laundry and did not compensate me for them. I have over 1500 stays with marriott and have never had a pair of my dress slacks laundered improperly.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Thanks for making us aware of your issues. I am investigating the situation with your pants and would appreciate if you could contact me with more information. We send our dry cleaning out to a local vendor and can seek reimbursment from them.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taos
Sagebrush Inn & Suites
#2 of 2 in Taos Ski Valley
Hampton Inn Taos
Hampton Inn Taos
#6 of 15 in Taos

Been to El Monte Sagrado? Share your experiences!