“Just a little short” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Alamo, California
“Just a little short”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

We loved the location and the room decor; we loved the big spa tub. The valet and shuttle staff (ask for Ashley) were outstanding! We were thankful we took them up on the offer to shuttle us to dinner when we saw where we would have driven. They couldn't have been nicer!

Reception was friendly, but when we got to our room, we had two queen beds instead of a king. It took a very long time to get through to the front desk to see if another room was available -- We had the feeling the hotel was understaffed. However, they were very responsive and brought the new room keys to us - very helpful after a long day of travel.

We ate dinner in the restaurant. Our server was a delightful young women and the food (bone in rib-eye and chicken) was quite good. Unfortunately, my birthday candle did not appear at dessert, though my dining partner had asked when we checked in. They did comp my dessert though -- and the cheesecake was yummy.

One issue was the housekeeping department: both the tv remote and the scale needed new batteries, and there were some "spots" on one of our pillowcases (I didn't ask). Also, the refrigerator: a) had "used" food remaining in it, b) had a puddle on the shelf, and c) was not, and never got cold - at all.

This has an opportunity to be a really nice hotel, with just a little bit of attention, and some more staff. The property is beautiful, be sure to visit the sacred garden.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

You can't tell from the tiny photo of the chair in front of the fireplace (and nothing more) that the ground floor suite (number 5) would be so lovely and comfortable, with a large pond and waterfalls just steps from your back door and a bathtub large enough to swim in (with high enclosed glass doors to keep the warm in).

From the moment we arrived we felt this was a five star establishment; we were greeted enthusiastically at our car, and every possible step was taken from that moment on to make our stay perfect. At check-in I asked for extra towels and hangars, and before we arrived at the room they were there, waiting to see how many of each we needed.

The breakfast room is one of a kind, with a high ceiling and skylight and exotic plants and trees planted throughout the room, so you dining with plenty of morning light and under leaves.
I ordered a combination breakfast not on the menu and it came out perfect.

Dinner in the restaurant next door ot the breakfast room was gluten free for me--they worked around the menu to bring me an excellently prepared salmon dish and lovely dessert as well. The waiter, Carlos, was the nicest man and most helpful waiter. We sought him out the second night we dined there.

The entire stay was just lovely; the architecture was breathtaking and original; there are, among other things, a spa and a tropical rain forest garden. All the apple trees were in bloom while we were there, making the property just magical.

I have only two very minor suggestions for management: When extra towels are ordered on arrival, this should be added to the main's instructions, so they are also available every day without the guest needing to request them, and I personally have an aversion to decorator pillows on beds touching my cleanly laundered pillows. AS many readers know, the decorative pillows are not laundered after each stay at most establishments, and I had no reason to suspect otherwise here. They were removed from the bed at my request, but the maid had nowhere other than the room to store them.

Marriott would do well on this property to copy their Residence Inn's style: no such pillows to mar your stay, or at least make it a choice.

Room Tip: We loved number 5 on the ground floor because of the ease of access and the pond out the door.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

What a unique place to stay! We stayed here with our preschooler during a ski vacation. And for the price-its a real bargain. I've stayed in some chic hotels but this one was so unique…luxurious without being just another chic, upscale hotel--it was like a work of art…one of a kind. It had tons of character in every room as if it was custom made just for Taos, New Mexico (which it was). The staff was friendly without being overly pretentious which is always a big plus. Make sure to browse the upstairs gallery to enjoy the art collection or the library/pool table. The restaurant is set inside a real life jungle, terrarium-like open space in the middle of the property. Even in the middle of winter, they maintain a wealth of South/Central American plants and trees which add a wonderful, nature feel to your meals.
Our room was large and fantastic-it felt like a condo. We were so happy to get a separate bedroom with a comfortable king bed, a giant soaking tub and a separate living room with fireplace. I loved all the quality regional furnishings and real wood doors and decor. It was very clean and generously stocked. The rooms seemed well insulated so it was nice and quiet all day long. We didn't get to go swimming but the pool is a work of art in itself. It is also built to look and feel like a tropical swimming hole with year round access.
The hotel was well located to explore that area but it takes about 20-30 minutes to get there from Taos Valley-well worth the drive. The front desk concierge suggested an awesome pizza place called Chalupps for unbelievably delicious pizza on our last night. I would love to return to experience another season there sometime.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Lexington, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

My husband and I were only there for one night but I wish it could have been more. From the minute we arrived until the time we left we were treated royally. The entire staff was attentive and very helpful and friendly. Our room was spacious , comfortable and there was a lovely view from the patio. We had lunch, dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and the food was excellent as well as the service. Yes, I would definitely revisit.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Maree G
Pittsburgh, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

I brought my wife here as a surprise for our anniversary and it was a really incredible weekend. I booked one of the suites online and we were randomly given the "Texas" room. It turned out to be a huge suite with an second bedroom, but the suite itself was exquisite; from the awesome aaron foster USA license plate map, to the deer antler chandeliers, to the gorgeous slate tile in the shower, you could really tell that a lot of detail went into the room. Our favorite part was that the back door opened up to a cozy porch with a table a chairs that looked out onto the open grass on the hotel property. There was even a small little stream/water-feature so you had the sound of bubbling little brook in the background. Awesome. The staff was excellent and friendly. The hotel restaurant was pretty good, but I think there are better in Taos. If you plan to use the spa, I'd recommend reserving well ahead of time, as it was completely booked when we arrived. Luckily the staff was super helpful and fit us in when there was a cancellation. It's definitely not cheap, but I can't recommend staying here enough to do it justice. I can't wait to come back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank geneboy
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

The setting and the physical plant might lead one to think that this is a first class hotel, but it is nowhere near that class. From the minute you drive up to the hotel, every member of the staff, regardless of the position, treats you like you should consider yourself lucky to be there. The staff is arrogant and unfriendly. If you ask a question, you are treated as if you were interfering with their "work" even though nobody seemed very busy. Then, everywhere you turn, additional charges are thrown at you. Unwarranted fees for parking and wifi are examples of this. In all of my travels, I haven't run into such poor attitude and staff anywhere else. This wasn't my first stay as I was there a year ago. It wasn't very pleasant then, but this time it was simply awful. Last time for me, that is for sure.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank enjoy_the_best
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
The following is from our General Manager: "I truly appreciate your taking the time to let me know about your experience at El Monte Sagrado. The management team take these comments very seriously and work towards improving service and product. These efforts are made every day. We are at a loss to know how to handle your comments. We get hundreds of comments each week and while there may be some issues with the product, we receive accolades about the staff and their friendliness. I wish I knew who you encountered so that we could work with that person or people to assist them in understanding that a welcoming attitude is paramount if we are to meet our guests expectations. If you would be willing to share any details with us I would very much appreciate it. My direct number is 575-737-9820. I will be out next week, but returning on Friday, May 16. I could return your call if you leave me a message. I spend most of my time out on the property but stop in my office regularly to retrieve messages and return them. It is very important to me to be able to rectify the issue and I am hopeful to win your patronage back."
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

As travelers' hotels get better, offering full amenities for a single price, it is hard for prime properties to justify ridiculous $12.50 per day wi-fi charges or offering of $5. per bottle water. Such petty fees hardly introduce the luxury property we expected. Charging the full price of the stay in advance, especially after we were assured that only one night would be debited, really took the blush off what was otherwise a nice stay. Except, of course, for the banging of the A/C in the wind.
El Monte is a pretty place, if packaged differently it would offer a very nice experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Pobremio
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you so much for your inputs. We are always working to make improvements in our property and services so appreciate your feedback. Our dynamic new General Manager has made more positive changes in the past 8 months than anyone previously has in a much longer period. We expect many more wonderful changes over the next several months and I am sure your next visit will be more enjoyable.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taos
Sagebrush Inn & Suites
#2 of 2 in Taos Ski Valley
Hampton Inn Taos
Hampton Inn Taos
#6 of 15 in Taos

Been to El Monte Sagrado? Share your experiences!