“It's a nice day for a white wedding.”
Review of El Monte Sagrado

El Monte Sagrado
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Eureka, CA
“It's a nice day for a white wedding.”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I was there for my niece's wedding. We had the "Texas" global suite, shared by 6 adults. We were told that the sofa was also a fold out bed, but it wasn't, so a roll-away bed was delivered. Those are never comfy, but I assume the beds in the 2 bedrooms were very nice. Our room was very spacious, with 2 full bedrooms and baths. (My daughter and I were in the living room.) According to the info, all the global suites come with a soaking hot tub, but our room didn't have one. But we did have a little waterfall outside in our private patio. My cousins were in the Morocco global suite so we had use of their hot tub. The indoor pool was lovely, but i never had time for a swim. my daughter really enjoyed the gym. The bathrooms were very large and luxurious.

I'm more of the "Super 8" type of traveler, so it was a delight to stay at this luxurious resort. But wifi was $14 a day, an outrageous charge, so we opted out. Our room had a small fridge, but no microwave, which would have been handy. The second night, I stayed with my other cousin in the Mayan casita. It was a really cute room with 2 beds. And if you like birds, there was a magpie nest right outside her room in the back. I read many complaints about the staff, but personally, I didn't have any, but my cousin had problems with one of them, a woman in management. I like to introduce myself to the staff who work so hard, the housekeepers and the grounds keeper, and they were very nice and helpful.

The grounds are extremely beautiful. I was able to visit my niece's room, the Kama Sutra suite, before the wedding. It was a gorgeous room, with the appropriate paintings and carvings for the newlyweds on their wedding night. The wedding was outside in the large meadow with the elk sculpture in the background. A storm was coming, but it held off during the wedding. An hour later, there was an inch of snow, hence my title for this review. Dinner was delicious in the spacious ballroom, and we all danced our booties off. Overall, I really enjoyed my stay here.

Green Features: Nice water recycling program. There is a beautiful stream running through the grounds, with lots of koi. Our room had a lovely little waterfall outside also. It was so lovely sitting on our patio in the evening listening to it.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Alofa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We were attending a friend's wedding and reception at the hotel, so made a reservation months in advance. When we arrived, we were underwhelmed by the mandatory $20 valet parking fee (they charge even if you self-park), and the uninviting and awkward reception area. No matter, this is supposed to be a nice place, and it certainly gave off a spa-vibe inside. This was quickly dashed when the manager apologized for giving us a handicap-accessible room, but- I quote, he "had to put [us] somewhere." Seriously? When we arrived at the room, I saw a gift bag waiting for me from my friends- but it rapidly became clear that they had failed to service the room. So they delivered a package, but left an obviously unmade bed and dirty bathroom with towels strewn in the sink. The maids complained after I called the front desk because they are night maids and are "not supposed to do this." We had to wait for them to clean the room before we could shower, which made us late for the rehearsal dinner. Totally unacceptable. The manager comped our parking but please, do yourself a favor, and avoid this place.

6 Thank NavyCJ
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Obviously the issue you encountered your room is not indicative of our high standards and we are investigating this situation so we can identify the problem and provide additional training to those who require it. Our apologies for our failure to provide you the positive experience we want all of our guests to have when staying at El Monte Sagrado Resort & Spa. We work to gain the loyalty of our guests and hope you give us another try on your next visit to Taos.
Washington, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 26, 2014

id have to say that this was the best trip iv taken in years!! the front desk rep Mr.maestas was wonderful and was outstanding in our satisfaction. iv stayed here three times and iv not met a representative as respectful as he was. to my wife and i we tend to be picky about things like valet and the individuals who service us as well as housekeeping. we stayed in a global suit that had features that we absolutely love including the rain shower head that was just amazing the breakfast menu in the restaurant and dinner was prepared in a decorative manor that absolutely was gorgeous. over all i will defiantly be seeing the El Monte Sagrado very soon !!!!

Room Tip: global suits are a must have
Pueblo West, Colorado
Reviewed April 25, 2014

Whenever I decided to post on trip advisor I always try and take all things into consideration. We are scheduled to stay for a three day business conference and initial impressions are extremely important. From the minute we got here, the velvet was friendly and helpful. Check in was okay but the level of service was somewhat unwelcoming. The room is okay, but not to the level of quality we expected. The room is clean but the walls in our suite could use cleaning or repainted. The bathroom was clean but again could use paint touch up. Please refer to photos.

Room Tip: Request to inspect the room before checking in
Green Features: Staff was okay to certainly not overly friendly. The grounds could use a good cleaning. The garden need ground cover. Overall the hotel management needs to focus on details
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Tom P
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to bring these issues to our attention. The diamond finish plaster walls in our Native American suites have apparently absorbed moisture from wet towels and water splashed from the sink so we are doing research to find a sealant to prevent the plaster from getting these water marks.
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed April 22, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night while visiting Taos and LOVED IT… wish we could have stayed longer.

We were upgraded to the Egyptian Casitas and it did not disappoint. The room was very spacious and clean and the shower was like being under a waterfall, very nice.

The property has a beautiful layout with nice landscaping (ponds and waterfalls), and all the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. Location is perfect, less than ½ mile from the main Taos plaza and most other tourist sites.

Our room also included a continental breakfast which was delicious. There is no doubt that I would definitely stay here again, really a terrific property.

1 Thank mrstats69
Detroit, Oregon
Reviewed April 17, 2014

This hotel and property are gorgeous and in a great location if you are traveling to Taos. The room was very unique and classy. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable. The room service breakfast was delicious and we ordered it every morning.

On the down side many of the staff here are not friendly at all, except for one person, Marcos. Marcos was extremely friendly and helpful. The other man that was working at the front desk was seriously lacking in customer service and social skills, as was the hostess at the restaurant. We were very surprised by the lack of hospitality at such a fine hotel.

Another thing that my husband and I were unhappy with was the laundry service. We sent a dress shirt and jacket for dry cleaning as soon as we arrived because something leaked on them inside my suitcase. They cleaned the items but clearly put them in the dryer and shrunk them. I don't know if I can ever wear that jacket again.

Room Tip: The king bed was extremely comfortable. I slept like a baby! (Even though I was pregnant at the time...
1 Thank Elizabeth Y
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate your feedback as a method to focus our improvement efforts. We are always training new employees to bring them up to our high standards of customer service and apologize for anything less. Please contact us about the dry cleaning issues. We outsource that service and if our vendor is not providing satisfactory service we need to know so we can address the issue with them or find another vendor.
albuquerque
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Had a relaxing getaway weekend at El Monte Sagrado in Taos. The entire property was lovely with tons of interesting little nooks and hiding places. The room was enchanting with a nice gas fireplace, large tub and gorgeous shower. I love Taos but the stay at El Monte made a great place fantastic!

My only complaint is that the valets and the hotel were not forthcoming about their parking fees. We knew about the charge for valet parking so when the valets offered us self-parking, we were thrilled. Guess what....they charge you the same whether you opt for valet or self-parking. Live and learn.

Green Features: There were no recycling containers available. Not cool as far as keeping Taos clean.
2 Thank virgo_gal