“Loved this place”
Review of El Monte Sagrado

El Monte Sagrado
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We found this by accident and sadly only stayed one night. The room was fantastic, tub in the middle of the room! Great military rate, shuttle I was very happy staying here and would definitely come back and try some of the amenities.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,247)

Reviewed January 4, 2014

This is a great hotel in Taos. We really had a nice stay. The service was friendly, courteous and attentive. Our room #32 the Painted House was really amazing. It was a casita with an adobe style fireplace, excellent bed and nice furnishings. The bathroom was spacious and had lovely bathroom products, shampoos, etc. We also had a back sitting area.
The property is quite lovely too with wooded lots, winding paths and attention to details.

PROS:
Hotel is a great property
Rooms amazing
Bed Comfortable and room very quiet.
Great spa, gym and pool areas were all clean and working properly

CONS:
TV reception was limited, most stations were static
No mini bar in room or store to get a bottle of water, snack, etc.
The restaurant is simply terrible. We had breakfast there one day (and that was enough) and Christmas dinner which was not good. Christmas dinner was a prix-fixe menu $45/three course dinner. The service was non-existent so much so that when my me came out I wanted to return it because my steak was basically raw (I asked for medium). The waiter was nowhere to be found. I never was able to order more wine. Another waiter brought us water and took our dessert orders. I then had to literally get up and walk around to find our waiter to get the check. Our waiter never acknowledged any of this and/or asked how everything was. My meal if one can call it that, was sub-par and very upsetting for a big-Christmas celebration. Breakfast the next day was the same ordeal with regards to service. There was one other table occupied and we couldn't get anybody to come to our table with coffee. Breakfast for two was $53. I had coffee, juice and eggs/bacon as well as my partner. Breakfast shouldn't be that expensive I would avoid the restaurant. This area of the hotel needs major attention as it is well adrift from the standards being placed upon it from other areas of the hotel.
On a return to Taos I would stay at this lovely property; I just would stay very clear of eating ever again in the restaurant (especially with so many local-Taos options).

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brklynrider
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The hotel is unique and a beautiful property. However several little things affected the stay. Upon check-in, the front desk stated the room was ready and gave me a key. After hauling my luggage up to the room, the maid was in the room and said it would take her another 40 minutes. We had to haul the luggage back down to the front desk ask waited for 45 minutes. No one from the front desk even checked on us, or asked if there was an issue. During the 45 minute wait, we also noticed several other hotel guests having issues. The hotel room was very nice EXCEPT for the tub/shower. You have to use a step to get up to get into the tub and then there is an over 2 foot step down into the tub. It was very difficult for my wife and I to get into and out of the tub, and dangerous. They need to warn guests of this, especially with children or older guests. Dinner at the restaurant was OK. Service was slow. The entrees were acceptable. The upside down apple pie was excellent. Worth going to the restaurant just for the pie. Breakfast at the restaurant was terrible. No buffet, just order from the menu. Both my wifes and my eggs and bacon were cold. And by the time we got our food, the coffee was cold. For Gold/Platinum members, be aware the breakfast coupon they give you is not valid for any hot breakfast item. Only a muffin. Even though I had the Platimum coupon, they even charge me $3.50 for a cup of coffee and another $3.50 for a cup of tea.

2  Thank Chester M
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Thank you for your feedback. Sorry for the issues you encountered. We are continuously working to make improvements in our property and service and appreciate this information. We only wish we had known about this at the time so we had the opportunity to fix things on the spot and ensure you left satisfied. We will strive to ensure your next visit meets your expectations.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

We just stayed a week at El Monte and the hotel was gorgeous and they have beautiful artwork. The staff was very informative and helpful so service was good. Our mountain room was nicely decorated and the big soaking tub and fireplace were appreciated after a day of skiing. We would have given them a 5 rating but no one mentioned to us that they charge $12.00 per day for parking regardless if you valet or self park. Hence that was a surprise on our bill at check out.

1  Thank MissLily2009

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Coloradobumpskier
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I've stayed at the El Monte a few times. The rooms are really comfortable and the staff is super friendly . Its a very relaxed low key retreat spot in Taos . They also have a great gym and restaurant. Great access to angel fire or Taos Mountain

Room Tip: request a room with a king , they're nicer