“Wow!”

El Monte Sagrado
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Taos
“Wow!”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

What a wonderful place to stay. We moved here after being very disappointed with the Hampton Inn. El Monte a luxury hotel (now Marriott owned) that is absolutely beautiful. The setting is so pretty. The jacuzzi and two adjoining pools with neat stonework were very nice. We got a AAA rate. I noticed other reviews mentioned a $12 parking fee and resort fee. Our final bill just notes the package rate, which included breakfast, and the lodging and room tax, although the valet did mention that there is a $12 parking fee (even if the valet is not used). It's a bit of a walk, about a 1/2 mile into town. I'm not posting photos, but I would recommend looking at them.

1 Thank 2opinions

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Lancaster, VA
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Our two-night stay at El Monte was a decision based on the government closure of the national parks, Carlsbad Caverns in particular, with a stay in Carlsbad, which we had to cancel. The reservations at El Monte were made by phone the day preceding our arrival.

The physical plant and site are gorgeous, and we found the staff to be welcoming, friendly, and helpful. We used the hotel shuttle service to an off-site restaurant and were pleased. Our exceptionally large bathroom was missing a hairdryer, which I discovered upon exiting our shower, but a call to guest services rectified that situation in less than five minutes.

I would like to single out and praise Cole who checked us in. He was very hospitable and polite and subsequently gave me a tour of the stunning artwork on display at the hotel, which was a treat!

The only quirky occurrence was at dinner in the restaurant. My DH and I split a salad (in addition to each of us having individual entrees). We were absolutely flabbergasted that there was a extra plate charge for splitting the $8 salad! No extra plate charge was mentioned in the menu.

Other than that, there was nothing to complain about, and I almost forgot to rave about the steel-cut oatmeal at breakfast, which was divine!

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the least expensive rooms, which was very large and very much enjoyed, especiall...
1 Thank Schwerin
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed here in a suite with our 2 year old daughter. The staff was extremely helpful and professional. The suite had a nice Southwestern feel to it. The bathroom was a little dated and could probably use a little maintenance. The grounds are beautiful. I am looking forward to coming back here as a couple and spend some more time exploring the area and enjoying the spa.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dutchman21
San Diego
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Reading the other reviews, lead us here. I will acknowledge the grounds are spectacular. It has a graceful peaceful feeling. The valet staff was very welcoming. The resort offers a shuttle service to the town center. On first glance, the room was lovely. Our room had a large jucuzzi tub, a nice fireplace, and wood beams on the ceiling. We quickly dropped our bags and left to explore the
galleries of Taos. We returned in the evening exhausted, wanting a nice place to relax and unwind. Within a few minutes we noticed a strange fragrance in the room as if to hide a bad odor. In the toilet room, we noticed water had damaged the wall and there was a distinct smell of mold. Half of the bed was sunken, they need to replace the mattress. It could just be this one room, 408. Avoid the room. With all resorts, there seem to be hidden or over the top charges but we
had to pay for each device on the internet and the speed was really slow. We haven't yet decided if we would give El Monte another try.

Room Tip: Don't choose 408. Water damage and a mold issue.
5 Thank Arippleeffect
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We stayed for a week on vacation in the late summer. This is one of very few top-drawer hotel/resorts in the Marriott Autograph Collection. Truly beautiful in a rustic style. We stayed in a lovely suite with a view of their garden and pond, which is also the raison d'etre for this hotel in the first place. The pond and fountain is part of a uniquely designed water reclamation and recycling project by the original hotel architect. Our room had a large comfortable king-size bed and the sitting-room had a sofa and gas-fireplace. It was just cool enough in the evenings to enjoy the fireplace and we did. Furnishings inside the room are very nice and upscale with a rustic feel.

The grounds and the hotel are immaculate and overall we enjoyed our stay immensely. During our stay there was some kind of problem with the water heater that supplied the row of rooms where we stayed that took the maintenance team 1.5 days to get fixed. I did speak to the manager and he accommodated by taking some fees off of our bill.

The bathroom was large with a tub/shower that was also very large. But, you literally had to step-up (or should I say climb-up) over the side of the large tub on built-in steps and hold onto a vertical grab bar to hoist yourself into the tub. That was a bit strange and awkward and clearly not meant for anyone with any kind of physical limitation or disability.

Their restaurant is excellent - steaks, chops and home made style mac-n-cheese with BACON, what could be bad.

The indoor pool was nice and with great views of the outdoor pond and fountain, we felt like we were outdoors, while inside.

The hotel is fairly expensive but I felt worth the splurge. One thing I really didn't like was that they charged a daily fee for parking - kind of ticky-tacky for a hotel of this quality and price.

If you are planning on being in the Taos, NM area, this hotel is a great choice. I would book it if I were going back to Taos.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms facing the pond and fountain/waterfall.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Macungie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 26, 2013

We (two couples) were expecting something very special -- Marriott 5 stars & AAA 4 diamonds -- but our bedspreads were shabby, dust ruffles torn (tripping hazards), one room was missing both rugs, housekeeping was late & erratic. We had to call maintenance because our gas fireplace wouldn't shut off (they promptly disabled it, 'til it could be repaired the following morning); we also had to call for a faucet repair. Our bathroom walls were chipped were towel rods & such had been ripped out and replaced. The complimentary continental breakfast (yoghurt, granola & fruit) was excellent, as was the breakfast service, but $20 for tepid scrambled eggs & bacon is not a bountiful buffet! Staff was helpful & responsive, but we were very disappointed overall!

Colorado
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I am a wedding Officiant in CO. I went to El Monte Sagrado this morning to perform a wedding for two men who came to NM for a legal marriage (gay marriage is not legal in CO -- we only have Civil Unions). When I arrived at the wedding site, I was BLOWN away by the incredible beauty of the property. Everywhere I looked, there was one breathtaking scene after another -- fountains, plantscapes, ornate chandeliers, indoor/outdoor party areas, photogenic bridges, etc. I have never been to the Gardens of Giverny, but I imagine this resort rivals it in beauty. The hotel itself is decorated impeccably, and at every turn, something to say "Ooh" and "Aaah" over!

Our friends (the grooms) had a lovely, intimate wedding. The event coordinator and a hotel staff person were witnesses, and they could not be more helpful. We had a delicious private luncheon in the "wine room" which made us feel like royalty. As we left, my husband and son and I remarked that we can't wait to go back there again.

As a wedding Officiant, I see a lot of hotels and wedding venues. Nothing compares to El Monte Sagrado for its natural beauty, gorgeous decor, and attentive staff. Bravo.

Room Tip: The courtyard, or Sacred Circle, is actually a luscious park with weeping willows, stylized bridges...