“Unique, Serene Top Notch Hotel in Beautiful New Mexico”
Review of El Monte Sagrado

El Monte Sagrado
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is one of the hidden gems in northern New Mexico. This was our second visit, and we enjoyed it as much as our first visit a few years ago. The setting in Toas, NM is splendid, with a very quiet, serene park-like grounds and gently running streams. The rooms are all very unique and different from any other hotel we have visited. A solid 'thumbs-up' for an excellent hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,247)

Reviewed July 9, 2013

First let me say the setting is beautiful without a doubt but it fell very short of just basic expectations. I had arranged a 1pm check in on Friday afternoon and was told that would be not problem. We did not arrive until a little after 4pm only to be told the room wasnt's ready. They have a guaranteed 4 pm check in. When we asked when we might expect it to be ready they simply did not know and suggested we go upstairs to the library maybe shoot some pool. I could feel my husband's frustration, he wanted to change and relax we were a bit travel weary. We retrieved our car (clothing locked up with the valet pouring down rain and went to explore the town. At 5:30 we got a call the room was ready. This was not a good first impression. My husband wakes up quite early and was having issues with his back so i suggested he go sit in the hot tub for relief but you see it doesn't open until 8am so he took some advil and paced the room until the magic 8am.On Sunday morning the day we were checking out I wanted to use the sauna and checked the book in the room which said on Sunday it opened at 8am. I donned a robe and walked to the Spa only to discover the door was locked. An employee walked by and said it was closed until 10. When I explained the menu book in the room said 8am i was told sorry but no. I called the front desk and explained my dilemna, they offered me a 11:30 check out time instead of 11. Really Really...................I was totally disgusted by this time. I decided I would sit outside of my little casita where there were two chairs and a small table (my husband had waited the hours yet once again and was sitting in the hot tub which by the way was not so hot as to be therapeutic). I make a coffee and take my book outside. A few minute later i think i smell gas it is mild but definitely there. The only thing to do is take a shower and pack. We were going to have a leisurely breakfast in the restaurant but i was so annoyed by then we left and had breakfast elsewhere.
Things we did not like:
Mandatory valet-my husband hates anyone else driving his car. (An older valet was smart enough to be accomadating though)
Checking in-if the room is not ready at least compensate us somehow like free drink at the bar while we wait or complementary breakfast...................something other than sorry
Open your amenities---people are staying for the amenitites....are traveling.......wake up early.......might i add have to check out by 11. Why not let people use the facilities starting at 6am for early risers and keep them open until midnight for others. Hours should be the same every day. The day the traveler is their is their precious vacation time. Why should they have to conform to restricted hours?
It would have been nice if someone would have even apologized about misleading me with the spa hours and being gracious enough to let me into the sauna. Am I not the customer? Was this not a spa resort?
Thank you again to the wonderfully understanding valet. I wish i could remember your name a man with common sense and customer service who is not driven by rules only.

12  Thank Claire G
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and were very pleased with the upgrade to a Suite that we elected. The room had a sitting area and a balcony that overlooked a pond and waterfalls. The serenity was quite lovely. Only complaint is the the kiva is in the living area and not the bedroom so not so romantic as we hoped. Staff was very helpful. Mechanics of the place are inconsistent as we had no problems with our room but our fellow travelers had no working TV in the bedroom for two nights, a burned out lamp and a period when their air conditioning blew. These should not be happening at such a top level resort. But the physical setting is gorgeous and the indoor pool is also very nice and not crowded at all.

Room Tip: It is worth the money to get a suite overlooking the pond.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank trurothot
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

So if you are not familiar with Taos it had a pretty unique atmosphere. There is plenty of art and shops/dining for people who enjoy strolling. There are outdoor activities and the area is really pretty/nature. Then there are historic Indian sites which are actually kind of neat- coming from someone who is not a history buff.

The hotel is about 1/2 mile from the 'plaza' which is where the shops etc are. The grounds are beautiful. Plenty of greenery and tidy. Indoor pool only - not ideal but still ok for kids and was nice when it was raining. The restaurants are pretty good, but pricey for hotel food.

Spa was nice and staff professional. It is small though and could use a bit of upgrading in the showers/needs a soaking tub/hot tub. There really wasn't a good place to 'hang out' in the spa for our group of girls. Services were great.

Hotel rooms were clean (very picky about this) and nicely cleaned everyday.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed July 6, 2013

How do people complain about this hotel is beyond me! Service from valet, check in, spa services, restaurant and bar were impeccable! The grounds are the best in any hotel we have stayed and the suite was beautiful and well appointed. Only nit picky thing I could say was housekeeping came about 5pm. Stayed two nights and felt completely pampered and special. Very quiet and tranquil property. The bar was one of the coolest designs ever been too, and I have seen my share of bars!
Hope to go back.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I'm a sucker for clean, spacious bathrooms with huge bathtubs and sexy showers. The Sagrodo did it for me (and it's worth mentioning that I stayed in only a standard room). The hotel's grounds are beautiful - lots of natural landscaping, lush foliage, and small trickling waterfalls into ponds. The location was also great - only a couple blocks walk from the center plaza and several shops, restaurants, and galleries. My only negative comment is that this hotel charges for daily parking...I recommend taking an extra long shower or a nice deep soak in the tub to make up for it. ...Maybe also consider cranking the air conditioner and gassing up the fireplace for a nice, romantic evening in.

1  Thank GWARnachos
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I went to Taos for a wedding at the hotel and just dont have enough good things to say about the property. The staff was wonderful, the setting georgous and the food (both at the restaurant and room service) was terrific. I'm not sure when I will be back in Taos but when I am I would definitely stay here!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taos
The Historic Taos Inn
The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort
Hampton Inn Taos
Hampton Inn Taos
#5 of 14 in Taos

Been to El Monte Sagrado? Share your experiences!