“confusion and other stuff”
Review of El Monte Sagrado

El Monte Sagrado
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Corrales, New Mexico
“confusion and other stuff”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We checked in at 4:00 in the middle of a snow storm. It was busy and there was no one to help with the bags or even a luggage cart so we carried the bags in and also after checking in with the front desk we brought them to our room which I thought a bit odd for a four star hotel. We also are Ritz Carlton members and the three page confirmation that was sent to us by Marriott.com stated "Guaranteed free access to the Concierge lounge and free continental breakfast". Upon arrival I was told there is no Concierge lounge and that we would be given a breakfast voucher in the amount of $10.00 PER DAY PER ROOM. I looked at the breakfast menu and the continental breakfast is $14.00. So the voucher does not even cover the cost of breakfast. After speaking to management I was told this is the way it is and has always been and no one but me apparently ever had an issue with their policy. I was sent an email after our stay with a survey requesting our feedback. I gave it to them and then I was bounced around between Marriott.com rewards and the Hotel.They definitely have an internal problem and I felt we were caught in the middle. While making reservations I also requested cookies be left in the room as it was my Husband's Birthday. After we were in the room a gal came and delivered five oatmeal cookies and a glass of milk. (I have no idea why milk as neither of us drink milk.) Upon checking out I saw a charge of $35.97 to our room. I asked about it and was told it was for a "cookie amenity." SERIOUSLY? I have stayed at many fine Hotels for special occasions to find cookies or champagne or chocolate covered strawberries in our room and NEVER have been charged. But to be charged almost $36.00 for five cookies and a glass of milk I did not ask for or did we drink...wow. Management removed the charge and implied they were doing us a favor. After giving my feedback and calls from Marriott customer care and the Hotel, only after Marriott Corporate got involved did they agree to credit back some of our points.The time spent on this was ridiculous. The grounds are beautiful and serene and Melissa in the Gallery shop was wonderful. We stayed in the Caballo casita which is quaint and cozy. Word of caution..if you like your room dark do not stay in that casita. No drapes but only wood slat blinds and the sun comes streaming in. Needless to say we were up bright and shiny! I believe this Hotel has a lot of potential but I do not believe we will return. We will look for another Hotel that concentrates on customer service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rockie-N-Reno
Bruce R, General Manager at El Monte Sagrado, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention and I want to apologize for the delay in my response. I wanted to fully investigate the problems.
I apologize for the difficulties you had upon arrival and the confirmation letter you received did make for a confusing stay. We have removed the disputed charges and worked to solve those issues.
Please contact me directly on your next visit and I will ensure a smooth arrival and stay.
Again thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing our job!
Bruce Ruggs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Taos, New Mexico
Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Living Spa at El Monte Sagrado is not to be missed! As soon as I arrived at the spa I knew it would be a great experience . The staff was very friendly and attentive to my needs. The women's locker room was very clean and the steam room was amazing! I had a facial done by Jessica who was very friendly and really knows her stuff. I had never had a facial and she explained to me her process as well as her products. She had a very gentle touch and was very professional. I have had great pedicures here as well, but this was the best experience yet! I highly recommend her and the resort as a whole.

Also, great pizza in the Anaconda bar is awesome!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Miss_ariana
United States
Reviewed January 3, 2013

Writing this review in near-real time, as I have just checked into the hotel an 2 hrs ago.

I travel a lot for work and stay at Marriott a lot, and have a Gold membership. The 99% of my Marriott stays were quite good and excellent. Very rarely something may be a bit off, but again it was not big deal.

So, when we checked into El Monte Sagrado (Autograph Collection, the supposedly best line of Marriott hotels) today, we expected to be amazed by the facilities and service.

Common facilities we quite nice indeed, but service and room conditions were very disappointing, especially for a such a high-end pricey hotel.

Here are specifics:

(1) Room key making machine did not work. Reception told me that we can go to the room and keys will be on the table.
(2) They were out of breakfast tickets as well, and told me that someone would bring them to the room immediately.
(3) Room floors were dirty. One can see that someone attempted to clean them and spread the dirt around.
(4) Rug on the floor of the room was dirty, with snow and salt prints.
(5) Bed cover had spots and ink marks on it.
(6) Room was cold, still getting it to 70 F.
(7) There was someones cosmetics item under the bad, and I barely had time to grab it from my 6 year-old daughter.

At this time my wife has 101 F fever, and is in bed. This is the only reason we are staying here.

There has been more that 2 hours, and no keys or breakfast tickets. Trying to avoid looking at the floors. Nearly $200 paid.

Hopefully, this will help someone else and avoid paying for a bad experience.

Room Tip: I was in Casita Cottage. If it was not dirty and cold, it would be fabulous.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank George B
Kelly R, Executive Assistant at El Monte Sagrado, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
We are so sorry for the lapse in service you experienced. This is very untypical of the service and room condition we normally provide our guests and I regret that we were not informed immediately so we could have corrected things on the spot. We will use your comments as a focus for our ongoing training and improvement programs.
Dallas
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Stayed in Taos Mountain Room. Much better than Native American Suite that we occupied last year. Higher-end finish-out, better beds, separate tub and shower and interior corridor keeps rooms warmer. These rooms work even with a couple of kids. Don't be fooled into thinking the suites are an upgrade.

Service generally much better than our visit a year ago--that Marriott training is finally paying off. However, oddly, what was a coffee and tea service at the bar in the morning has turned into only a coffee service. It would be nice if tea could be added back for us non-coffee drinkers. Also, PLEASE have English breakfast tea in the restaurant (and don't look at guests in amazement when they ask for tea). For some strange reason, it was available in the rooms but not the restaurant.

Housekeeping does a terrific job--plenty of towel and amenities were provided every night. Bed was made nicely and thank goodness they use fitted sheets. Valet guys are great. Always friendly and helpful--it's a hard job and they do it with a smile.

One issue that needs to be addressed: this was the second year in a row that I got a bill with a charge for 2 nights when the entire stay (5 nights) was on Rewards points. Last year it was handled very well (apology, plus the removal of valet charges for the inconvenience). This year when I pointed out the error, I got a surly response from the front desk staff suggesting that I was incorrect and that it was a 3 night Rewards stay as opposed to a 5 night Rewards stay. I was certainly correct, but it took 20 minutes and several calls before she would correct the bill. No apology; not courtesy credit. They need to resolve whatever the issue is given that it has happened to me twice.

Overall a very nice hotel with lots of attention to detail.

Room Tip: Taos Mountain Rooms (the standard hotel rooms) are superior to Native American Suites.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The minute I walked in the door, I knew this would be one of my favorite hotels. Our mountain room was quite roomy, with a king-sized bed, a large soaking tub, a fireplace and a beautiful view. It was quite comfortable. To use the various facilities, one must walk outside between buildings. This may seem a bit daunting with freezing weather during the month of December. It was such a beautiful setting, however, that it was quite pleasant. Holiday decorations were beautiful. The spa was wonderful. Everything was clean and well-kept. The location is convenient to Taos Plaza. I definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Mountain rooms are wonderful. I didn't see any other rooms, so I can't say if anything was b...
Eastern Virginia
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The place is nuts. There is a whole faux new age hippie vibe about the place. We stayed at the "global village" in the China suite. The room was huge, comfortable and incredibly reasonably priced. There was little to no service. We had to port our own bags, outdoors, in a snowstorm. The front desk people were kind of distractible. That said, the value per unit room, for a family more than made up for it for us.

Note that the hotel really isn't within walking distance to the main square, at least in winter. Also, they charge you for parking even if you self park. If you can get past these quirks, it's a great little hotel.

Keller, Texas
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed first time on this property. I was little bit reluctant first as I always stay at Hilton and being diamond level at Hilton I get lot's of upgrades. However, I thought I will try it out this place and I was pleasantly surprised to discover how good this place is. I don't think there is any other hotel in the area that matches quality of this hotel. All the Hotel staff including Stephan (site manager), Kristen (concierge desk) and Susan (guest services) are very helpful and friendly. They will do anything to make your stay enjoyable and memorable.There is a free shuttle to drop an pick up from various places in town. Shuttle drivers are very courteous and are almost like a local tourist guides. They are the best resources to find out out great dining places in town. I will definitely come back and stay here in my future Taos trips.