“Great Place to stay”
Review of El Monte Sagrado

El Monte Sagrado
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Beautiful property and everyone was very helpful. I have visited this property twice and I hope to go back again.I stayed the first time in a Native American Suite with a nice balcony and a lovely view of the garden. This time I stayed in a Taos Mountain Room. We were on the ground floor so we had a small patio overlooking a grass area, View not as good but we had a wonderful bath. Separate shower
stall and a jacuzzi tub. Since I am older I did prefer the shower to the tub in the suite. The shower even has a bench and I found the shower was excellent.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,238)

Reviewed October 4, 2012

This hotel was a very nice place to stay. The rooms were very well appointed with lovely balconies and gorgeous gardens too. The staff were very good and they took care of us very well. Though I do have to mention the $40 bill that we got for two bowls of oatmeal that we had for breakfast just before we checked out. This was far too much and sadly we did not check the bill while paying it. I guess it is certainly a lesson learned. It is 4/10th of a mile to the plaza in Taos and makes for a lovely walk.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We were really looking forward to spending 3 days at El Monte Sagrado. Although the grounds are lovely, the rest fell far below our expectations. We were given a room for the Handicapped next to the elevator, which was very disappointing. It would be great if you needed such accomodations, but we really didn't require a pull down seat in the shower and other features. I felt as though I was in a nursing home or a hospital, rather than a luxurious hotel. We found that the sound carried and were often disturbed by people taking the elevator outside of our door. When we inquired about being moved to another room, we were told that there were none available. Our friends were in a suite which they found to be very dark and non welcoming. They felt they were performing a pole dance each time they attempted to get into the tub, which had deep sides and was not very user friendly. We found the person at the front desk to be quite rude and not very truthful. I had difficulty believing that there would not be a manager on the premises during our stay and that she was the person we were to deal with when problems arose.
We ate at the restaurant several times. The wait staff was accommodating, but the food was mediocre. My friend ordered a well done bison burger, making it clear that she did not want any pink in it. When it arrived, it was very pink inside, despite the waiter having told the kitchen her requirements. The rest of us had finished our meals by the time her burger arrived. On another visit, I ordered soup only, which I received after the rest of my party was half way through their meals. This is not what one would expect from the kind of hotel the El Monte Sagrado claims to be.
Wireless internet is not available unless you pay almost $10.00 for the day. This was a surprise as most hotels provide that service free of charge.
We did find the valets to be very helpful and accommodating. They made our visit much more tolerable. In light of our experience, I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely do not stay next to the elevator!
2  Thank Travelgirl284
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We chose El Monte Sagrado because it's part of the Autograph Collection by Marriott, and we are huge Marriott fans.
The hotel property and its grounds are absolutely beautiful ... sculpture, interior decor, wonderful landscaping. We had a "Taos Mountain Room" in the first of three connected buildings. These are the least expensive accommodation, and ours was a regular room with king or two queen beds, a walkout patio, gas fireplace, fridge/microwave, TV, and a fabulous bath with jacuzzi tub and separate stall shower. Shower floor was made of small rocks, so it was very safe and non-slippery and also provided a little reiki for the feet. The sink was a stone vessel (beautiful) but the faucets were tricky to operate so that they didn't splash all over the counter.
One thing: our room did not have a clock. I called the front desk and they asked me to look carefully: I did ... no clock. So they sent a staffer within minutes who placed and timeset a high tech clock, saying that he didn't know why the room didn't have one. All's well that ends well.
Ashley, who greeted us at the door, was very enthusiastic about his job and El Monte Sagrado in general. We chose to self-park instead of using the valet parking, since all the spaces were in the same parking lot.
The following morning I went to breakfast while waiting for my husband to follow. Interestingly, I was basically ignored after being seated until I offered a few pointed looks at staffers. When my husband arrived, so did the servers. I found that off-putting, frankly.
And I guess I feel that a luxury resort such as this should not charge for internet access. Paying for valet parking when there are only 84 rooms and a large parking lot is something my husband remarked on.
But enough negatives. The hotel is restful, beautiful, and didn't seem overcrowded. It's within 1/2 mile of the main street in Taos, and the grounds are quiet and relaxing.

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Very handsome property with lush landscaping. The rooms are decorated in Mexican rustic style. Avoid the smaller rooms. We stayed in one of the Native American Suites with a small living area and fireplace separated from the bedroom by the bathroom. Nice balcony off the living room overlooking the gardens. The suite was fine except for the strange bath tub/shower combo. Because of the depth of the tub and the width of the decking around the tub, you cannot step directly into and out of the tub/shower. Instead you have to step up on top of the decking (with the aid of a large vertical iron pole) and then lower yourself into the tub. We (both in our 60s) accomplished this gymnastic feat for three days without injury. What holds this property back is service--it is understaffed. It is annoying to call the hotel and have no one answer. Likewise for breakfast they post a sign "wait to be seated" but there is no one there to seat you. The valet staff is friendly and helpful and the parking convenient (at an extra charge). My personal peeve: you have to pay for wireless service. Although this hotel cannot hold a candle to the luxury hotels in Santa Fe, it is a good choice in Taos.

Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Highlights: Gorgeous grounds are beautiful and fun to explore. We enjoyed our room with hot tub, gas fireplace, walk-out patio, and great view. Big bathroom with separate shower and tub. Public areas---bar, restaurant, lobby were stylish and beautiful. The pool was a gorgeous work of art--natural stone no depth entry with huge stone slab steps and a shallow and deep pool separated by stone walkway barely submerged in water. Good location in center of historic area.

Lowlights: The resort was very quiet, and almost seemed like only valets worked there. Nobody was at reception desk several times we approached. Pool was open but not lit at night. We could see lights inside of the pool but they were not turned on, so the pool lost much of its charm. There was no phone (bad for emergencies) in pool area to call someone to turn on lights. Also, the pool was too cold and hot tub was too hot. Dangerous entrance into hot tub--no railing to hold on to as you enter. The little details were lacking---I couldn't reach a light above the coffee/refrigerator area (too high & I'm 5'8" tall) made it hard to see what you were doing. Our hot tub didn't work and maintenance man had to come down after SEVERAL calls for assistance. The faucet into the beautiful bowl sink splashed water everywhere on the counter and floor---not well designed. Nothing insurmountable but annoying.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

As we work our away across the United States by bicycle we had the opportunity to stay at the El Monte Segrado. My husband and I both had 90 minute massages with therapist Heidi who is a true expert in body mechanics and massage therapy. My session started with facilitated stretching to help loosen up tight areas and get my blood flowing before lying on the table for more specific manipulation of my back, neck, shoulders and hips. While the pressure was firm it was never uncomfortable. She gets a 10 rating for her talent and she gave my body a complete tune up. Now my husband says she was also really great and he fell asleep during his massage. We are both refreshed and ready to tackle the next week in the saddle.

Room Tip: Only the obvious, pick the second floor so you don't hear the people above you banging around as...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taos
The Historic Taos Inn
The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort
Hampton Inn Taos
Hampton Inn Taos
#5 of 15 in Taos

Been to El Monte Sagrado? Share your experiences!