“Opened a new world!”

Mountain Skills Rock Guides, LLC
Ranked #7 of 17 Tours in Taos
More attraction details
Owner description: Mountain Skills Rock Climbing Guides offers guided rock climbing trips to the best climbing destinations in Northern New Mexico, and Las Vegas, NV. Whether you are a first time beginner or a seasoned veteran, come visit one of these pristine locations with us. You will be led by our professional, friendly, and experienced staff through an enjoyable adventure where you can relax and climb with confidence. Our staff has experience working with one on one privates, families, scout groups, church groups, corporate team building, and school groups of all sizes.
Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Our guide, Harrison, taught us so much about rock climbing and rappelling. Our party was 2 adults and 2 kids- we always felt secure, even rappelling off a sheer cliff! Followed by a prepared picnic with lots of homemade goodies- it was a great morning.

There are newer reviews for Mountain Skills Rock Guides, LLC

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Our guide, Harrison, rocks! Great climb instruction for a family of four - parents plus 13 and 11 year olds. We learned a lot about climbing. He took us to a beautiful spot with great beginner climbs. We each got 4 climbs in different spots. He kept us safe with great boleeing. Always encouraging and helped us find those important "toe holds". Fantastic experience.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

I'm a novice climber from Houston and signed up recently for an individual climbing session with Mountain Skills while on a holiday in Santa Fe, NM. They didn't disappoint and it was probably the best climbing experience I've had to date in my (short) climbing career.

I didn't know anything about the climbing scene in New Mexico or what to expect. Mountain Skills were able to recommend a location (Comales Canyon) that was perfect. There were plenty of climbs of all skill levels, a beautiful location in Carson National Forest, and almost no other climbers.

I was surprised and pleased to discover that my guide for the day was Jay Foley, the author of a well-known guidebook on rock climbing in northern New Mexico (I'd bought it the day before at REI). Jay was the perfect guide -- very knowledgeable, friendly and a great instructor. He encouraged me to test my skills against harder climbs without being overbearing or putting on too much pressure. He would give me advice when I was struggling but also knew when to hold back and let me figure things out for myself. Although we hadn't arranged it before-hand, he was happy to show me a few things about traditional (trad) climbing using placed protection rather than pre-drilled bolts, and he taught me some rappeling as well.

With Jay's help I was able to do some really fun and challenging climbs and he introduced me to a real climbing wonderland in Comales Canyon. I will definitely be booking another trip with Mountain Skills the next time I'm in Santa Fe.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

I had been climbing before but it was my family's first experience. We signed up for the Rock and Raft and enjoyed the instructors. They were very careful and explained everything to us. They made everyone feel comfortable and were very encouraging. We can't wait to do another trip here. The only thing is I would recommend that they tell their guests to have their own transportation to drive up to the rock climbing area - we were not aware until we met at the meeting place.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Every interaction exceeded expectations from booking the reservation to follow up with us a couple weeks later. I'm looking forward to seeing our pictures on the Facebook page. Jay was a pleasure to spend the day with: very skilled climber and teacher, very patient with us, and encouraged us to challenge ourselves in addition to being thoughtful, funny, and easy to be with. I highly recommend Mountain Skills especially if you are a beginner, have indoor climbing experience, or are curious about climbing and want to try it out in a safe environment with an experienced guide. Jay explained our options based on the weather that day, our skill level, and his knowledge of the area and how crowded it would be. We had a really great day of climbing thanks to Jay and Mountain Skills.