“Interesting Venue with Okay Food”

KTAOS Solar Center and Solar Radio
Ranked #101 of 130 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: The KTAOS Solar Bar is the place to meet friends for happy hour, enjoy a variety of live music acts, dig into authentic tacos, and of course bring out-of-town guests. The KTAOS Solar Bar offers an unparalleled bar experience, framed by two operating radio stations. All that separates bar patrons from the live solar-powered radio broadcast are large panels of quarter-inch glass. The KTAOS Solar Bar's indoor lounge area and solar-powered radio stations can only be matched by the huge, rolling backyard lawn that borders the Taos Pueblo lands, offering spectacular views of the sacred Taos Mountain.
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I checked out a few different places on TripAdvisor and thought that KTAO would be an interesting place to grab dinner. We headed out around 9 p.m. on a Saturday night (a little late) and found the venue easily. There was a $5 cover at the door because a DJ and drummer were performing. We were greeted promptly by the waitress and served in a timely manner although the food was somewhat lacking. I had the Green Chile Cheeseburger and tasted the Baja Fish Tacos and found both a little bland. My pint of Santa Fe Brewing Co. Dirty Blonde was on point though!

The DJ/drummer were pretty loud and a bit much - I would have preferred to go earlier in the evening to take in the sights a little more peacefully. It also would have been good to check out the view before sunset because I heard it is spectacular!

There are newer reviews for KTAOS Solar Center and Solar Radio

Reviewed December 25, 2013

KTAOS station bar was a pleasant surprise that we happened to find by accident. We were staying at a house 3 miles down the road and wanted something close for dinner the first night we arrived.

We were a little wary about the place at first - it didn't look very kid-friendly from the outside, but we sent our "scouts" in to check things out. Once we were given the all-clear, our party of 8 unloaded and weaved our way from the front of the building to the actual restaurant/bar area. During the day, I'm sure there is a wonderful view of the mountains from most seats in the restaurant. We, however, visited too late to enjoy the outdoor scenery. The inside was entertaining in itself.

Our server, Jason, was very friendly and informative. This building not only houses a great food joint but two radio stations, all of which are solar powered from my understanding. There is also a large performance arena that hosts concerts; although there was no show the night we were there, there was a local band scheduled to perform in the restaurant later that evening.

Jason ran through the specials, one of which was the green chili stew with your choice of pork, chicken, or veggies. Half of our group quickly decided to give it a try and we were certainly not disappointed. It was fabulous and I would return simply to enjoy more of that great dish!

I'm sure the place gets a little more rowdy as the weekend evenings progress, but our 6pm Saturday night visit was very low-key and relaxing, perfect for the two 6-year olds we had in our party.

This place is definitely going to be a regular stop for our Taos visits from now on!

Reviewed December 9, 2013

This is truly one of the most spectacular bars I've ever been in. The view of the mountains is just amazing. The drinks and service were average, but the view... oh, the view!

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

Stopped in by chance while we were headed back to Arroyo Seco. Drove by and saw a sign for "the Ultimate Led Zepplin Expierence" and had to see it. Got tickets and ate while we waited for the show to start. Super busy evening and it took about 45 minutes. Not too bad considering. The Alpine Swiss burger wasn't bad and my girlfriend had the Cesar Salad. Awesome concert in the Pavillion and we truly enjoyed our Expierence at the KTAO Solar Center!

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Great music, food and beer! Nice and relaxing and I didn't feel like a tourist! They have IPA on tap!