“Don't judge a book by it's cover!”
Review of La Cueva Cafe

La Cueva Cafe
Ranked #3 of 131 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

This place is truly a hole in the wall with some of the best Mexican food I've eaten!!! Adorable. Authentic. Wonderful!!! Try the key line pie!!! Trust me. I'm from Miami. I thought "what does Taos know about key lime pie!?". Omg! Waaaay different then your traditional key lime pie. Yummy

Reviewed July 25, 2014

I got the seafood enchilada which was pretty good; enchiladas were stuffed with crab meat and they put one shrimp and a 2" x 2" piece of salmon on top. My wife got the beef taco: it was in a soggy shell, which was in a crunchy shell. The beef was like shredded roast with no seasoning whatsoever.

Reviewed July 25, 2014

We asked one of the local shop owners where we should have lunch and without hesitation she recommended La Cueva. It is a great candidate for DDD and I do not beleive they have a liquor license. But the food..OMG! Delicious, homemade, authentic and fantastic. I had mole fajita and my husband had the shrimp tacos. The only sound you heard from us while we were eating was YUM! the waiter was friendly and attentive and the guac was smooth and creamy and the salsa was fantastic. I absolutely loved it. It is not in the center of things and it is off a major street. But sitting on the patio for lunch was lovely and I would eat there again in a hearbeat

Reviewed July 23, 2014

A little gem in Taos! We got there 30 minutes before they closed on Sunday night and hoped the staff wouldn't be too upset by our late arrival. It was just the opposite - they were very welcoming and didn't appear put off throughout the night.

The restaurant is right off the main road at an intersection, and at that hour we were able to find easy parking. Walking distance to the touristy section of Taos.

The interior is tiny, but they had a nice outdoor patio as well. Being that we had been outside all day, we chose to remain indoors and sit by the window.

We started with chips, salsa, and guacamole. The chips were delicious - not overly salty with a very fresh texture. The guacamole was also fresh as well. The salsa was a little on the watery side that night, but it was flavorful.

This was probably the best chicken chimichanga I've ever had. It wasn't ridiculously large, but it was definitely not small either. Perfectly crispy on the outside, and hot and gooey on the inside with juicy shredded chicken. I chose to smother it with both red and green chile, and I'm glad I did.

I'm not a refried beans kind of gal, but whatever they did to their beans, it had good seasoning with none of that pasty blandness you'd find at other cheap Mexican restaurants. And rather than being dry like at other establishments, the rice was moist and sat well on the palate.

My only complaint is that they didn't refill our waters often enough. In fact, a table right next to us got refills without having to ask, while we had to raise our hands to get more water.

Other than that, I highly recommend checking out La Cueva!

Reviewed July 16, 2014

A small interior space plus outdoor seating. Very fresh and tasty food, quickly and cheerfully served. Very reasonable prices. Not a fancy restaurant, but very comfortable and worth a visit.