“Fresh New Mexican Cuisine”
Review of La Cueva Cafe

La Cueva Cafe
Ranked #1 of 129 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed a week in Taos and ate here 4 times. Everything was wonderful and fresh. On the first night I saw them carrying in grocery bags of peppers and onions, not loading boxes off Sysco trucks. I highly recommend the chipotle shrimp tacos, mole enchiladas, nachos, and ceviche.

There are newer reviews for La Cueva Cafe

Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

Third summer in Taos, with third visit to La Cueva. Before dinner when I used their bathroom, I saw bugs crawling on the wall by the sink. I ordered a cod sandwich for $6.95 and received a piece of fish that was a third of the size of the roll. I asked the waiter why thr change in quantity (as I'd ordered this from the menu before), and he told me that this was the new size. I then reordered vegetarian nachos, and they also arrived to me looking less than. I asked to speak to the manager and my waiter told me he was busy. In place of the manager, a very harsh, aggressive waiter came towards me and got irrate with me as I tried to let him know of my displeasure with the quality. Instead of talking with me in an appropriate manner, he acted as if I had no rights to even question what I was being served. I got up and left the restaurant and won't ever return or refer another as I have doneso many times in the past. Compromising quality of food and poor customer service is not a good recipe for success.

1  Thank Barbara M
Reviewed July 7, 2014

I'm trying to think of the last time I enjoyed a Mexican food restaurant less. No local nor national brews, runny mole, average food, poor parking situation. But, at least the waiter had a good sense of humor, who replied, "No alcohol, sir, but we have the best chimichangas in town."

Reviewed July 7, 2014

I stopped in that restaurant based on TripAdvisor reviews and I had excellent meal. Smoothies are "must try": I tried spinach, pineapple & lemon and it was great. Red Trout al Majo de Ajo was delicious as well.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

At the recommendation of a friend, we stopped here for nachos & smoothies. The nachos were delicious. So the next night we came back for dinner -- just wonderful. The place isn't fancy or anything - we sat on the patio for the snack and because of rain, sat inside for dinner. Again - not fancy, but the food was terrific. The waiter for the patio/snack was okay, but the waiter inside for the dinner was very attentive. Amazingly inexpensive, to boot.