“Picky New Mexico native was impressed”
Review of La Cueva Cafe

La Cueva Cafe
Ranked #1 of 130 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
New York City, New York
“Picky New Mexico native was impressed”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

La Cueva was the best food I ate in Taos. This is coming from a native New Mexican who lives vacariously through eating New Mexican food and having travelled enough of the world to know when you have a good meal and when you don't. Taos has a tendency to ruin good New Mexican food with spices that have no business in the Land of Enchantment. I get so sick of foreign takes on the New Mexco green and red chile in Taos that I can't say enough about a place that gets it right by preparing simple and good food. La Cueva has enough solid recommendations and they are well deserved. The food is good and the service is solid. It is a hole in the wall, so don't expect many extras. If you are into fine dining and are insistent on comfort, then this isn't the place for you. If you sit outside in the summer, you'll roast like a green chile. The metal furniture wasn't very well thought out... If you go inside you'll bake inside the restaurant without air conditioning. If, however, you want good New Mexican food, then I can't think of a better place to try than La Cueva in Taos.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Jim B

Tucson
“New Mexico style!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We ordered chicken burritos and were pleasantly surprised to find these flour tortillas absolutely stuffed with shredded chicken and nothing else! The sauce topping was exceptional, and the usual rice and beans were actually "on the side". Nice, not your usual Mexican burrito! It's quite a small little place and not in the plaza (which was a big draw for us). We had our order to-go and enjoyed it back at our B&B. Very moderately priced, the quality was excellent, and service was speedy.

You might want to pick up a little salad to go with this entrée.

• Visited August 2013
Albuquerque
“Always good food”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Second time to eat here and once again, we had great service and delicious food. We ordered the seafood enchilada and it was so good. We enjoyed sitting on the patio on a warm summer day. Excellent service, too!

Visited August 2013
Houston
“Good Inexpensive Mexican Food”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We had good, inexpensive food. In my mind, it is not equal to some of the other places we have tried in Taos, but still worth a visit if you are in town for a few days. The service was a bit slow. My wife had a better view and said this was because our waiter was more interested in one of the waitresses than his customers. The filling of the chili relleno was nice, but too much sauce on the outside washed away any signs of the breading. If not for the signs of breading on the stem of the pepper, I would not have known there had been any. My whole plate lacked that piping hot experience one normally expects with Mexican food. I don't know whether they just don't heat the plates like some places or maybe it sat a few minutes before being served. I can't complain, but I cannot justify the number 3 rating in Taos on the basis of this visit. I would call it middle of the pack, but a good value.

• Visited August 2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“oo la la”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is the BEST Mexican/New Mexican we have ever eaten in.THE BEST! SIt outside, soak up the atmosphere and ENJOY the food. You will not be disappointed.

Visited June 2013