“Never had a bad meal”

Ranked #27 of 131 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Mexican, Contemporary
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The is a new restaurant which replaced Ogilivie's right on the Plaza in Taos. It is a casual restaurant, with a mune that reflect it's SM location, though is by no means "Mexican" completely. WE had a combinations of startes and salads, all of which are excellent; The Bison Sliders were supurb. The balcony overlooking the Plaza is a wonderful place to watch the activity in the Plaza - the only outdoor eating on the Plaza.They have a full bar, and excellent staff who are all very jazzed about being part of this new venture. It is a definite place for a simple but interesting meal.
Reviewed January 4, 2013

These other reviews are kind shocking.

I've been here several times and always had a good experience.. Last night's service was a bit slow, but then they were SLAMMED with thirty or so folks waiting in the bar.

My wife loved a green chili melt. I've had two good steaks, one with some custom sides I negotiated. Cocktails are good, wine is good. We will be back.

In summer, a seat outside on the patio gives you a great view of the plaza and the sunset.

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Burgers are good. Nothing special. Don't bother with margaritas....weak and uninspired. They need to dim the lighting or something. Ambiance is lacking. Strangely, I liked Oglivies better.

1  Thank TraveltogetherDallas
Reviewed January 2, 2013

12/28/12 sat at bar alone for adult beverage, got looked at by bartender but never waited on for about 20 min's, and rude and unfriendly, yikes, peeps sitting at bar all commented on it. 12/29 went back with husband, new bartender, told her story of unfriendly guy, she was almost as bad, again how much ignoring should a "tourist" have to take at one place. Ok always willing to give benefit of doubt to a place, went back with rest of family, hostess couldn't be bothered to sit us by fireplace when tables were completely empty. Once seated it was over 20 min's before anyone acknowledged us although everyone they sat around us got fast service. Only redeeming value was our waiter Zeke (or Zack with red hair) he was fabulous. Would probably not ever return if I go back to Taos.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

RIght on the plaza upstairs from the shops. Warm and inviting with what appeared to be a mix of locals and tourists. Good selection of tequilas. We had the Spanish bread appetizer with goat cheese and green chiles. Food came out quickly, so we did not finish. We had the green chili stew and grilled cheese with green chiles/sweet potato fries. Spicy meal, but continual refill of the drinks kept us going! Lots of big parties with kids and good selection for children .

Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is one of those times where we’d wished we’d heeded the advice of the locals, or at least read the Trip Advisor reviews first. (The key to reading review is to read the Top5 and then read the Bottom5 and go from there)

So – our first night in Taos, was the day after Christmas and we were referred to Graham’s Grille. After a short walk we entered a very inviting, but bit upscale establishment. By upscale I’m referring to the lighting and reservations – and the fact that we had our 1 year old with us.

We ventured across the street to The Gorge, and after checking out the menu outside, and the interior we were seated.

Our server, Liz, was nice, but seemed disinterested. After reviewing the menu we selected the Chicken enchilada, Chicken Tacos, Mac n’ Cheese and a local beer. (note – the first two are listed in other reviews as items NOT to order – hindsight of course)

So here’s how the escapade went – I stepped out to make a phone call, my wife placed our order and by the time I returned – our food had already been served. Less than 3 minutes later according to my cell phone records. Looks like Chef Mike (aka microwave) was busy in the kitchen!

Both dishes were served with dark meat chicken. A bit odd, but we figured it was just some local ‘take’ on traditional Southwestern fare.

The “chicken” enchilada was sooo gooped in greasy, processed cheese and spicy green chili sauce that it was hard to tell if there was any meat in there at all. I think this was their intent.

The three “chicken” soft tacos were covered in shredded lettuce, and cherry tomatoes sliced in half. I thought it was odd not to have chopped tomatoes, but pressed on anyways. I ate the first one, and then requested sour cream for the second one, as they weren't served with guacamole or sour cream.

The mac n’ cheese was basically bowtie pasta with a bland cream sauce and very little cheese. It also had black pepper sprinkled all over it. Not really kid-friendly Mac n’ Cheese that most children are accustomed to.

Not only did the food ‘taste’ off, and eventually get us very sick (read on for that), but it wasn’t presented well, and looked like someone just shoveled slop from the microwave onto a platter.

None of us finished our meals as the ‘chicken’ just tasted weird. I’d compare it to crow, bad iguana or rancid fowl. We paid our bill, left a decent tip and left to walk off the scourge.

Then the fun began....

Starting at 3 am – my wife began violently vomiting. This lasted for her for another 15 hours. She didn't eat the entire following day. My episode started around 11 am the next day with my “chicken”and black beans coming out both ends for the next 24 hours.

Food poisoning??! You decide.

Two days later when I got my energy back, I walked down to the restaurant to hand my comment card (inserted into our bill) to the manager and explain to them exactly what happened. A staff member told the manager that I was waiting to speak with her. After hiding in her office for nearly ten minutes, I just left as this restaurant just wasn’t worth my time anymore.

Side note: we heard from the hotel where we stayed that one of their 13-yr old guest got sick after eating the tamales at The Gorge.

For anyone who doubts the ‘food poisoning’ they can check with the pharmacist at Walgreens, the grocery store cashier who sold me 4 jugs of Gatorade, the staff at our hotel or anyone else we would tell of our horrid experience.

As most parents, we usually feed our little one some protein off of our plates. Thank goodness we didn’t this time, as who knows what the affects could have been much more severe for someone so young.

We’ve already emailed a report to the New Mexico Department of Health, and plan on contacting the Taos Public Health Office and the Taos Better Business Bureau.

Would recommend: Not to worse our enemies
Would patronize again: Only if on some sadistic diet

2  Thank COTraveller33