“Busy place”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We stopped in for dinner about 5pm, and the place was packed. Everyone seemed to know each other, so we assumed it was more of a locals place. Not the most exciting atmosphere, but did notice lots of remodeling going on outside, so maybe they will do the same for the inside. We had the grilled trout dinner which was excellent. It came with a large quality dinner salad, baked potato and corn. Outside of the can corn, everything was fresh and very good. Baked potato only available after 5pm. Also came with a hot sopaipilla, which we had them bring at the end of our meal. Great way to top off a meal, especially as they had a honey bottle on the table. Our waitress was fast and very friendly, as was the cashier where we had to pay.

1  Thank yorkietraveldog

Reviewed August 22, 2013

great food, 'locals' place, not touristy. make sure you don't sit under the A/C vent - Brrrrrr! ;-) would definately visit again.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I remember eating here when I first came visiting Taos 7 years ago. That was the last time I went. So today, 7 years later, I tried it for breakfast, only because it was convenient and I was hungry, and frankly, I was curious. What was it about, as I forgot.

So as soon as I walked in, I thought of the dreary restaurants that needed complete overhauls with dark (and probably dirty) rugs, wood laminate walls, a prep station of stainless steel of which you could only see shoulder high and up, but they are presently under construction...what kind of construction? I hope it is to renovate the place entirely, as it is tired, old, and visually unappealing.

But the coffee was good as I was desperate. I had the special, huevos rancheros which were heaped on a corn tortilla and accompanied by beans, salad, hash browns, and a flour tortilla with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, which I would like to toss for real butter. It cost $5.75. And the coffee was $1.75. So I was satisfied physically at first, but I have to admit, I can no longer eat flour tortillas as white products put me to sleep. And afterwards, that's exactly what I did.

An employee at Walgreens next door to El Taoseno tried to steer me to other restaurants. Now I know why, the atmosphere. I will be happy to come back after construction (renovation?) to try it again for lunch or dinner. But it seems to be the usual fare, including red and green chili sauces. I do believe the red chili was delicious, but it seemed like it had a meat broth as part of it, so vegans beware. And also, what kind of fat/lard are the scrambled eggs fried in? Our health now demands cleaner foods, and we should ask these questions to get restauranteurs into healthier fare.

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I came to El Taoseno to have breakfast with my family. My wife had an amazing freshly homemade chicken fried steak and eggs. I got steak and eggs with green chile. Because the steak was so juicy with great seasoning, my wife kept stealing bites. The chile was amazing with the right amount of spicy, to tickle your tounge. While eating the servers were on top of things and very friendly. Many of the customers talked with each other and the staff, which made me feel like I was eating with friends. The food was amazing and had a great hometown atmosphere.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Our family loves to find little hole-in-the-wall local gems when we travel, and this was one. As a tourist, you'd pass this one right up on the highway and head straight for more charming restaurants along the Plaza in Taos. But we decided to take a chance at lunchtime and are so glad we did! Nothing special inside (old, diner style tables and chairs, paneling on the walls, even an old Ms. Pac-Man video game machine in the back near the restrooms!) and currently there is some construction on the building outside, but the restaurant is still open.

Once inside, we were greeted warmly and immediately taken to a large table in the corner. Service was quick and friendly. While waiting for our food, a lady at the table next to us was leaving and asked if we were visitors (I think it may have been obvious at this location) and advised us this food was the best in town; she had lived in Taos for years and tried every Mexican restaurant. So we felt good about our choice!

Two of us got the daily special, Navajo tacos, and two of us got the blue corn chicken enchiladas. Huge platters, piping hot, with loads of green chile and beans and rice. Excellent food - typically we are Tex-Mex fans, and we like both super hot green chile as well as more mild green chile, and we felt this was more mild but delicious nonetheless. Each meal came with a puffy sopaipilla, freshly made and also piping hot. Everything was great. Three beers and four full meals cost us less than $45! Mexican food preferences are a personal taste, but we were so pleased with this restaurant and highly recommend it as long as you're not expecting great decor, outdoor seating, or margaritas (beer and wine only, bummer).

1  Thank Steamboat323