“Fantastic Find” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Meze Restaurant

El Meze Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
El Meze Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 121 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Vegetarian Friendly, Southwestern
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hail Creek
Description: We are located in the El Torreon Hacienda built in 1847 which reflects our philosophy, our food and the historical influences of Taos. From June - September we have patio seating under a tent with twinkle lights and the most incredible view of Taos Mountain.
“Fantastic Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

A highlight of our trip. Don't miss the Buffalo Tamales or the mushroom pasta. Knowledgeable waiter was so helpful, good wine list too. Really top notch.

Visited April 2014

fort collins
“Creative menu, attentive service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

The online description of El Meze's trout dish brought us to dine there, and the dish was worthy of the trip. My pasta dish was delicious. The burnished gold color of the kiva fireplace near our table fit harmonized with the dark red walls. Our waiter was attentive but not overly so The local sourcing for vegetables and mushrooms appealed to us, too.Our experience at El Meze stands out as the most memorable restaurant meal we had in Taos

Berkeley, California
“Romantic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

The small room was a little noisy until the children let. The food was exceptional, and the service friendly, maybe just a little too friendly. The rib-eye steak was fabulous. The music was inappropriate and intrusive, but did not spoil a nice dinner

Visited April 2014
Thousand Oaks, California
“High expectations not met”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Our expectations were high because of the very high rating on TA, so we had to give it a try during our only evening in Taos last weekend.

It’s a small restaurant with a cozy atmosphere. My wife loves wine and was a bit disappointed with the wine menu, and had a difficult time choosing a nice white wine. At first we thought there were too few menu options but the two entrees we ordered turned out to be very tasty. My wife had the house pasta with mushrooms, asparagus, greens, olive oil and manchego cheese which she really enjoyed. I too had a difficult time choosing a dish and eventually settled on the oven roasted chicken with lemon, garlic rosemary and fennel served with olives and it was delicious.

The service however was not what we had expected. It looked like there were three servers but unfortunately we saw the other two many more times than our own. Our waitress would either come by our table every minute or we wouldn’t see her for what seemed like forever. She even commented to us that she had several tables in the “other room” and was extremely busy.

Although we enjoyed our evening at El Meze, with so many other fine restaurants, we would definitely check out another place the next time we’re staying in Taos.

2 Thank mrstats69
elmezeowner, Owner at El Meze Restaurant, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
I do know that our restaurant is not for meant for everyone. What I do find sort of annoying is the old school perception of what a dining experience must be thus deemed a disappointment because it did not live up to those rules. I am a small boutique restaurant. My dinner and wine menus which are always up to date online with Trip Advisor and reflect this - we are about quality not quantity. In regards to service, we are a team. Yes, you have a designated server but if another server needs to perform service to your table, they do it. There is no “That is not my table” attitude at all in our restaurant. So even though your designated server according to your preception was not handling everything herself, I know you did not lack in service especially since I took care of a few clearing and services myself.
Colorado
“Dreaming of Donuts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

This is the second time I dined at El Meze and both of my experiences were outstanding. The restaurant is small and cozy. The herb frites are delicious! I went with friends and we shared this course. I was sure there was going to be some wrestling for the last few bites. We tried four different entrees, all very good. Finally, we shared the cardamon donuts. They were heavenly. I will definitely be back.

• 5 of 5 stars