“Great and not that expensive”
Review of El Meze Restaurant

El Meze Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
El Meze Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 129 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hail Creek
Description: We are located in the El Torreon Hacienda built in 1847 which reflects our philosophy, our food and the historical influences of Taos. From June - September we have patio seating under a tent with twinkle lights and the most incredible view of Taos Mountain.
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Outstanding view and garden. Tasty food. Their heirloom tomatoes were even better than my homegrown. The tamale is a bargain. Fabulous wine for $34. Cost for 2, $76 plus tax plus tip.

There are newer reviews for El Meze Restaurant

Reviewed September 4, 2013

My daughter and I traveled to Taos last week and ate here on our last evening. I wish we would have known about it sooner, because we would have gone there more than once. First of all, it is in an old hacienda built in the mid 1800s, and secondly the view of the mountains from the patio is so beautiful. Most of all the food was just incredible. I had an heirloom tomato salad to start and we both chose their pasta (which was homemade) which was out of this world. For dessert, we shared the almond semifreddo, also delicious.

Michael, our server, was very helpful and attentive, while also handling other tables. I would say this is one of my top five meals I have ever ordered in a restaurant.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

From start to finish we had a great experience at El Meze. Our server was attentive and knowledgable, the ambience was cozy and pleasant and the food was very creative, fresh, and delicious. We would definitely recommend this hidden gem!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Based on trip advisor reviews and especially local recommendations, we made our reservation. What a score! I love chef-centric eating, and el meze fits the bill. You can have smaller tapas style plates or big entrees. Our excellent waiter, Steven, was helpful in describing the food and helping with choices. Try the chicharrones! Little crispy squares of pork belly ( not the traditional skins) rubbed with spices and fried, served over a chimmichurri sauce. I could have eaten them all night. We also had the buffalo short ribs adovado....three ribs in a gorgeous red chili sauce. Then we split the tamale, filled with masa and slow cooked beef, smothered in green chili. The best part (well, it's all good) was our table overlooking the little yard lined with herbs, vegetable plants and flowers, which are set against the background of the mountains! Not since our visit to Tuscany have I eaten in such a jaw dropping setting! I don't know what more you could ask for a fabulous dining experience. Five stars for el meze is a no-brainer.

1  Thank rovingcarole
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

A small restaurant with a lovely outdoor patio with perfect view of Taos mtn. Staff lights small candles at dark to light up garden. On cooler evenings, There Is a fire pit for those who are waiting for a table. Blankets are provided for those who need it

Food is fresh/ local and a blend of Spanish, Mediterranean and southwest. Amazingly, owner/chef - Fred - is originally from NC But trained in Switzerland. He is not simply a chef, he is also a food historian. I heard a history of collards going back to G Khan!

Menu focus is small plates and salads with only about 4 entrees. We shared tapas (Mediterranean olives and a local chèvre), a plate of Serrano ham and manchego served with a light olive oil and white nectarines!!!!! Then a fresh green salad with blueberries and a mustard vinaigrette. Finally. The chicharrones Andalusian style!!!...pork belly bites, slow roasted, rib of cinnamon, Spanish paprika, a chile powder of some kind. Fantastic. Could have totally pigged out on these... No pun intended.

Great wine list at varied price points including some good Spanish wines.

Dessert: home made vanilla ice cream with white nectarines, basil and star amise. OMG.

waitress was enormously helpful in guiding us in quantities and the best sequence for each dish.

I love this place. I want to kidnap Fred and bring him to my town.

Please go to this restaurant.

2  Thank jjssi