““The best restaurant in Taos! Great food, service, and atmosphere””
Review of El Meze Restaurant

El Meze Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
El Meze Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 129 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hail Creek
Description: We are located in the El Torreon Hacienda built in 1847 which reflects our philosophy, our food and the historical influences of Taos. From June - September we have patio seating under a tent with twinkle lights and the most incredible view of Taos Mountain.
Denver, Colorado
““The best restaurant in Taos! Great food, service, and atmosphere””
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Everything on the menu is delicious and fresh. The kind of food you'd want to eat at home every night. Seasonal local ingredients. Tasty brothy dishes with fresh herbs. A hybrid blend of Northern New Mexican and Mediterranean flavors. Charming rustic atmosphere and top notch service. Wine list is limited but great selections of Spanish and Argentine vintages. The red chile buffalo short ribs, heirloom tomato salad, summer watermelon salad, posole with radish slaw, and Mediterranean roasted chicken with fennel and perserved lemons are my favorite dishes. I eat at El Meze often and recommend it as the first place to dine in Taos.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank FareBear

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Great dinner”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Lovely restaurant with superb food! Richard of Casa Gallina B&B suggested we start by ordering the deep fried olives, and boy was he right! My husband started with the tuna carpaccio and declared it the best he ever had. My main was the chicken - not something I normally order when out, but am so glad I did. Sadly, no room for dessert.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Cathy B
Arlington, VA
“Lovely Marriage of Old and New Worlds”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Every bite was terrific. The grilled Romaine with manchego was masterful. Service was top notch. In response to the recent reviews, this place is rustic elegant and intimate-- not a place for young children.

2 Thank VAsokrmom
Santa Cruz, California
“A place for adults, family and friends but not babies in response”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My husband and I enjoy fine dining wherever we travel in the world. One of the most unpleasant situations is being in the middle of a romantic dinner when a baby/young child starts screaming. if the parents were considerate that child would never be in a fine restaurant, however, if they choose to bring an infant to a fine restaurant they should be prepared to escort the child out immediately. There are many restaurants that cater to children and families please go there instead. I applaud a restaurant's management who would instantly ask the parents of a whining/crying child to leave. Geesh....really??? Take your young children and babies elsewhere and please do not ruin an expensive and fancy dinner for everyone else...btw I am a mother of five.

Visited March 2013
8 Thank hedongal
Fort Worth, Texas
“Not a place for family or friends”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

My husband took me to this restaurant for my birthday last week, and boy, was this an experience! The evening started out nice as we enjoyed our appetizers but then my 23 month old son started crying. Before we could try to calm him down the lady who was acting as hostess (and we understand is one of the owners) tapped on my husband's shoulder and told us to take him outside. She did not ask us politely, but instead was very abrupt and disrespectful. We have been to many places with our son, from holes-in-the-wall to five-star restaurants in Paris, Brussels, Mexico, and many restaurants in the U.S., and nothing like this has ever happened. As I met my husband with our child outside the door of the restaurant, to our surprise we met others discussing their experiences. We met two women who were trying to enjoy dinner with friends from out of town who were asked to leave because they were taking too much time. Another couple we met outside said they were asked to leave because they were talking too loud. This place seems to be focused on the "food," but has complete disregard for treating their customers as people. The experience is exactly the opposite of "soulful," unlike virtually every place in Taos that makes you feel happy and welcome. We left and did not order dinner.

• Visited March 2013
5 Thank photosnred
elmezeowner, Owner at El Meze Restaurant, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
You son was not crying – he was screaming at the top of his lungs and he did it several times. It was so loud that the kitchen staff heard it and asked me what was going on. It just amazes me that parents like you think this is okay. This is so disrespectful to everyone especially the customers who have come out to dine and have a relaxing evening – not to listen to your child scream. The first time he screamed, I let it go. The second time when he wasn’t going to stop since he did not want to sit down which he needed to do since your table was near a walk way to the other room was when I asked you to take him outside. The fact that I had to ask you still blows my mind because I should have not had to especially since you are the worldly diners that you claimed to be and should know better. After you left I had several customers call me to their tables as well approach me and said “Thank you so much for handling that situation - it was very appreciated". That just says it all.