“Amazing Views”
Review of El Meze Restaurant

El Meze Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
El Meze Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 129 Restaurants in Taos
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hail Creek
Description: We are located in the El Torreon Hacienda built in 1847 which reflects our philosophy, our food and the historical influences of Taos. From June - September we have patio seating under a tent with twinkle lights and the most incredible view of Taos Mountain.
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I have been a fan of Chef Fred since Fred's place back in the 1980's. That said, this is probably Taos' best restaurant. The lack of a full bar is the only downside. The views from the patio look out to Taos Mountain and the Pueblo lands, spectacular. The food is innovative, nice spice and taste mixtures.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I had the pleasure of dining at the chef's previous effort oh, maybe 20 years ago. It was memorable and when I heard he was now back in Taos, It was a no-brainer to try his newest effort.
The Lovely Companion asked what was the best meal of our recent trip and it was a tie with a very, very fancy place in Santa Fe (Geronimo). El Meze would have been a hands down winner except I ordered the buffalo tamale. Now, the waiter said it would be the best tamale I ever had...and he was dead on....but its a tamale and as such can only be elevated so far. One point lost for the best tamale ever.
The Lovely Companion had a trout that was inspired, seasoned with mint and preserved lemon and blackened...incredible...a whole new experience. The tomato/bread salad was also a complete rethinking of a traditional recipe and extraordinary.
One of the really fine restaurants in the US, not just Taos. Be aware that the pricing is appropriate for this type of dining and isn't cheap, but it is a great value (try pricing the French Laundry)
Oh, and lets not forget the really interesting decor in an old adobe building.
Memorable!

Reviewed October 28, 2012

El Meze is my favorite restaurant in Taos. The atmosphere is cozy. The staff is friendly, professional, knowledgeable, and extremely attentive. We have had both Steve and Michael as our waiters and they are both excellent. They think of everything and we truly feel taken care of while we are there. The food is fantastic. We have been to El Meze three times and we have ordered a variety of items on the menu. We have never been disappointed in anything we ordered. Everything is prepared perfectly. If you're looking for a wonderful dining experience, don't miss El Meze. Absolutely worth every penny. I can't wait to go back!

Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife and I ate at El Meze on a recent trip to Taos, after it was recommended to us by our hosts at the Touchstone Inn B&B. They are both gourmet chefs and so when they said this is one of the places they will go to eat out, we decided to put it on our list of places to try while in town. We were not disappointed. We had the crab cocktail, bison short ribs, green salad, and bison tamale. Everything was fantastic, but unless you are a vegetarian or cannot stand any kind of spice, DO NOT miss the bison short ribs. They are slow cooked for three days and served in a warm red chile sauce. They literally fell apart they were so tender, and are served with flat bread so you can soak up every last bit of the delicious sauce. I also don't think I've ever had a better tamale. I am honestly getting hungry writing this review... Service was prompt and helpful, and our server was knowledgeable and able to describe the dishes and their preparation. The desserts also looked excellent, but we were too full. I would definitely want to return here the next time I visit Taos. It is a fairly small restaurant, so definitely call ahead for reservations. It is not terribly expensive, but expect to pay $9 - $12 for smaller plates and $15 - $20 for larger dishes. It's well worth it though. I've had the experience of eating at places with similar prices and coming away feeling like I overpaid relative to the quality of food I received. That is not the case at El Meze -- for the quality of food and service you receive, the prices are very reasonable.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is a restaurant that we may not eat at again until our 25th anniversary. But we look forward to it. The prices were way out of our price range. ($325 for 5 with 1 bottle of wine and gratuities). If these prices are not a problem we highly recommend it. Other reviews seem to be especially harsh on the trout. My wife tried it and loved it. I had the rib eye and really enjoyed it. The service was fantastic but if you want fast food don't eat there. Dress was less formal than we expected. If you are after a great evening in an historic atmoshere El Meze is the place to go in Taos.